Rank III

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

I think meeting at Rudy’s should be a GO regardless. You guys are the lead on this, I was just trying to help out. I think the main objective of an initial meet-up should be priority 1. We could discuss what we want to do in the future at the meet-up? I’m cool with whatever.
Yeah I agree have tomorrow as a meet and greet checkout each others rigs and have fun. Like mentioned before we could set up future meets and training days so on so forth but lets just meet up.

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

I think since the primary objective of this is to get to know each other let's keep the 4wd activity mild considering the weather. Not having met the majority of you I suspect we have varying ranges of off-road experience. I would rather have the experienced folks a little bored than to have the inexperienced too far out of their comfort zone.

For example, I have had built Jeeps and done some hard core rock crawling in my years, but almost none of it was in snow and now I'm driving a stock full size. So, admittedly I'm automatically a little out of my comfort zone and I'm looking to you guys to help make sure everyone has a good day.

Last I looked there were about 16 RSVPs so I estimate about 12 will show. That's still enough to allow for a splinter group(s) if folks want to do different things.

@mountainrecce, I'd like to see the campers, but not badly enough to make that drive. I'd suggest coming to Rudy's and then leading whoever might want to join you.

@Seanblktaco17, I love your idea about the maxtrax training, etc. Maybe come up with an informal plan and let's keep that as an option. Even if we didn't do it tomorrow, it's an outstanding idea for the future as we have all winter ahead of us. In my experience, this might be intimidating for some and I don't want it to keep anyone from meeting up on our first go.

@Fortis Overland , if we decide to keep it mild, do you think a trip up Gold Camp and then down Phantom Canyon with a pavement return is too big of a day? I only suggest that because it's a loop I'm familiar with.

Do you think it would be too messy to try to have the three options? (My thoughts have evolved since I started typing this response.)

A) Mild trip
B) Snow recovery training
C) Four Wheel Camper trip

The three of you could each have an informal plan and if you get enough takers to feel it worthwhile then you lead that group as such? Or is that too much?
I agree. I'm in for the meet up for sure. I'll figure out what the plan is from there. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone I haven't met!

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I think based on the responses received, my preference is to limit the intended purpose to just the meetup, which was really the primary intent from the beginning. As a group, let’s discuss what we want from these meetings in the future and get on a regular battle rhythm for how we want to conduct them.

Some topics to consider:
- How often do we want to meet up? Once a month is the intent currently.
- Is Rudy's the right place to meet up?
- What trips are being planned by group members that are welcome for others to join?
- When the weather gets better, do we want to combine the monthly meetups with a monthly camp out?
- If the preference is to keep the camping and overlanding as separate events, would you prefer to meet up and hit a trail ride once a month? If this is the case, we can have floating meet up locations based on the trail proposed.
- What skills do the group members already have, and which ones do we want to work on? ex. overlanding comms education, recovery techniques, GPS, etc.
- How do we build the meetups into something that receives consistent involvement? I think this is the biggest topic of the bunch. The goal of this is to not be a one-and-done meetup. I'd love for these to last into the future.

Let me know what you guys think.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Personally, I would rather do more outings and less meetings. There always seems to be enough time during outings to discuss just about anything. I think meetings are appropriate, but if those end up monthly along with some other monthly events, it may be hard to maintain good attendance in both meetings and events. I am very well versed in just about all the skills mentioned previously, so I would prefer to contribute than just meet. As mentioned, making it regular and consistent is paramount to the groups success. I look forward to meeting everyone, it sounds exciting for sure.

In regards to the trail run Saturday. I am game for whatever, but always cautious when taking a new group into snow. I have done many snow runs and they can throw curveballs unlike other trail runs. Depending on the day, Gold Camp can be full of clowns too.

David

Last edited:

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
I think based on the responses received, my preference is to limit the intended purpose to just the meetup, which was really the primary intent from the beginning. As a group, let’s discuss what we want from these meetings in the future and get on a regular battle rhythm for how we want to conduct them.

Some topics to consider:
- How often do we want to meet up? Once a month is the intent currently.
- Is Rudy's the right place to meet up?
- What trips are being planned by group members that are welcome for others to join?
- When the weather gets better, do we want to combine the monthly meetups with a monthly camp out?
- If the preference is to keep the camping and overlanding as separate events, would you prefer to meet up and hit a trail ride once a month? If this is the case, we can have floating meet up locations based on the trail proposed.
- What skills do the group members already have, and which ones do we want to work on? ex. overlanding comms education, recovery techniques, GPS, etc.
- How do we build the meetups into something that receives consistent involvement? I think this is the biggest topic of the bunch. The goal of this is to not be a one-and-done meetup. I'd love for these to last into the future.

Let me know what you guys think.
That sounds like a plan. Definitely more train runs then meetings, but meetings are a good way to get more new people out and get to know people.

Hey Vince, just realized you're the same Vince from when we did Mt. Baldy with Colorado Springs Tacomas earlier this year. I was the black tacoma with you guys.
Hey man! Glad to see you on here too. Your Taco is looking good.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I’m still in for the meeting and also for some mild trail run after with whoever wants to go!

I’m coming down from Denver so I would like to make the most of it. I also like the idea of frequent meetings to get to know each other and plan future trips, learn from each other etc. Unfortunately we are going towards winter so most of the trials will be either close or very difficult but I think we should still try to meet and keep the momentum going. I’m new to Colorado and I’m eager to make new friends :)

Regarding the trail run I’m in, my 4Runner is almost stock and my experience is very little but I really want to ‘get my hands dirty’ and build experience and confidence. My only piece of recovery gear is only a shovel at the moment lol so I would love to have company on the trail!

Fearless

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Eagle and Denver Colorado
First Name
Donna
Last Name
Spinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KTØCAT
That sounds like a plan. Definitely more train runs then meetings, but meetings are a good way to get more new people out and get to know people.

Hey man! Glad to see you on here too. Your Taco is looking good.
OK I'll be there. Without my Jeep. :( New bumper and winch installation got delayed to Saturday pickup.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I think meeting at Rudy’s should be a GO regardless. You guys are the lead on this, I was just trying to help out. I think the main objective of an initial meet-up should be priority 1. We could discuss what we want to do in the future at the meet-up? I’m cool with whatever.
AGREED! I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

My Jeep is getting a new bumper and winch so I cannot make the trail run, but I could drive down in my beater car to join the meeting. Coming from Denver. Is it worth it for the meeting? I would like to let people know about my Moab trip next week, too. Thx!
If you want to caravan or hop in my Jeep, @carlodonz and I are meeting at the Cabela's in Lone Tree at 7:45. You can text my cell if you're interested - 505-379-9576.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Something came up this morning folks sorry I gotta watch the kids. I'll catch the next one :(