Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
Looking at running the eastern section of the OAT this October. Going to start just east of Tulsa and run south and then west back to I-35. We are looking at two separate dates to see if others are interested. Will either be October 7-10 or 21-24. Plan on being in Tulsa the Sunday before so that way Monday morning we can head out. No idea how long it will take us but that gives us potentially 4 full days to take our time, do some camping, and not be in a rush.

Reactions: Hirvy

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

The Rendezvous in the Ozarks is that weekend prior to the 21-24 dates and would imagine many folks from OK are going to that. I'd love to go but wouldn't be able to due to the Rendezvous. You might want to post in the Oklahoma Overlanders Where ya at? thread. Might have some more interest.

Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
The Rendezvous in the Ozarks is that weekend prior to the 21-24 dates and would imagine many folks from OK are going to that. I'd love to go but wouldn't be able to due to the Rendezvous. You might want to post in the Oklahoma Overlanders Where ya at? thread. Might have some more interest.
You have a link to that event? If you are talking the weekend of the 19/20 then I might go to that and do the OAT earlier in the month or move it back to November.

EDIT: Found the thread on the forums, doing some reading on it now. Estimating 500 ppl seems like it might be a little crowded for my taste.

Last edited:

Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
Subscribing because I am interested, but unable to commit at this time due to kid's school schedules.

How many vehicles are you hoping to get?
Id like to get 3-5 of us if we can but worst case scenario I am going with my wife. Nothing crazy difficult on that route and most of it is close to towns.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

@Helipilot2 went last year and was a lot of fun. Was pretty packed but, judging by the Bonfire event they held in the spring they may open more area in Byrds for camping. There's a ton of trails on dispersed camping out in the ozarks too that a lot of the locals end up doing instead of staying at Byrd's. All in all I really really hope it's not as packed as they're expecting.

Reactions: Helipilot2

Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
@Helipilot2 went last year and was a lot of fun. Was pretty packed but, judging by the Bonfire event they held in the spring they may open more area in Byrds for camping. There's a ton of trails on dispersed camping out in the ozarks too that a lot of the locals end up doing instead of staying at Byrd's. All in all I really really hope it's not as packed as they're expecting.

I am that guy who would much rather venture out away from the crowds, don't want to be rushed on the trail. I may or may not go, I don't know anyone who is attending.

atomicode

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I'm watching this thread. Would like to do this trail at some point, but I'm going to Ozark Rendezvous in October so would't have time. What is the camping situation along this trail? Is it dispersed along trail, or more stops at area state parks near trail?

Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
I'm watching this thread. Would like to do this trail at some point, but I'm going to Ozark Rendezvous in October so would't have time. What is the camping situation along this trail? Is it dispersed along trail, or more stops at area state parks near trail?
There are some parks which is what we will aim for first run through since I have never done it. Going to be a recon trip