Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

MARCH DAY TRIP

Leading:
@O.Dfj
When: March 19th
Trail: Nightingale Mine
Meet Up: Loves Truck Stop @ 0800 (825 Commerce Center Dr., I-80 Exit 46, Fernley, NV 89408)
Plan: Meet in Fernley, convoy to trail, general shenanigans, having fun.
Trail Info: Zach has so graciously already done a write up of the trail, you can find it HERE. THIS is also another good write up of what we will see. The trail is supposed to be pretty easy, however we have had a really sh#tty (That ones for you @mmnorthdirections) winter with a lot of rain and snow so it is more than likely that there will be some pretty bad washouts. The trail parallels a river bed so I would venture to say that this trail might not be stock friendly but you should still come if you can, we can stack rocks or do whatever to get you through without damage! That being said we have no idea what the condition of the road is but there are a lot of other trails to mess around on if we don't make it to the mine.

Post up if you're down to go play
****UPDATE****
Hey everyone,
Ive been coordinating with @O.Dfj and I am going to head into the Nightingale Mnts on Saturday March 18th. The plan is to arrive at the same meeting place: Loves Truck stop in Fernley, NV at 2pm on Saturday then convoy to the campsite for the night. In the morning we will pack up camp and rendezvous with everyone at around 9am in Coyote Canyon. The campsite is situated 8 miles to the north of the Coyote Canyon near the abandoned MGL Mine and east of the dried up lake bed, it should be an awesome night, and anyone that wants to come should let me know, I hope many of you that couldn't make it because of distance can make it out now. Attached is the .gpx file for the campsite and route in. Thanks
OB 2794
2017-03-08 19.18.46.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chico, Ca
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Rebelo
Member #

****UPDATE****
Hey everyone,
Ive been coordinating with @O.Dfj and I am going to head into the Nightingale Mnts on Saturday March 18th. The plan is to arrive at the same meeting place: Loves Truck stop in Fernley, NV at 2pm on Saturday then convoy to the campsite for the night. In the morning we will pack up camp and rendezvous with everyone at around 9am in Coyote Canyon. The campsite is situated 8 miles to the north of the Coyote Canyon near the abandoned MGL Mine and west of the dried up lake bed, it should be an awesome night, and anyone that wants to come should let me know, I hope many of you that couldn't make it because of distance can make it out now. Attached is the .gpx file for the campsite and route in. Thanks
OB 2794
View attachment 18372
YES! I am definitely on board with this! I think my roommates would be coming along with us too. Crossing my fingers my CB will be here in time for this trip!

FrankR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chico, Ca
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Rebelo
Member #

Awesome!! Im waiting on my CB to come in as well. I have a SWR meter and we can tune once we meet up if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have no idea what any of that means, but lets definitely do that! I am a CB n00b, and I will appreciate all the help I can get. haha, thanks Cody!

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

****UPDATE****
Hey everyone,
Ive been coordinating with @O.Dfj and I am going to head into the Nightingale Mnts on Saturday March 18th. The plan is to arrive at the same meeting place: Loves Truck stop in Fernley, NV at 2pm on Saturday then convoy to the campsite for the night. In the morning we will pack up camp and rendezvous with everyone at around 9am in Coyote Canyon. The campsite is situated 8 miles to the north of the Coyote Canyon near the abandoned MGL Mine and west of the dried up lake bed, it should be an awesome night, and anyone that wants to come should let me know, I hope many of you that couldn't make it because of distance can make it out now. Attached is the .gpx file for the campsite and route in. Thanks
OB 2794
View attachment 18372
What a great run. That place is amazing! Unfortunately the flooring guys will be starting demolition of my home that day and I have to be there for it. If you follow the canyon from the main building (seen in picture) to the east, there are many caves to explore. Be careful, we did find some dynamite throughout the canyon in various caches. Anyways, have a great time. If you all get into trouble, I live 45 minutes from Nixon. Call me and I will be there to assist. (775-848-8196).

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I would be up for this run but I'm going on the Mojave Road trip the next weekend and don't want to break anything.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

What a great run. That place is amazing! Unfortunately the flooring guys will be starting demolition of my home that day and I have to be there for it. If you follow the canyon from the main building (seen in picture) to the east, there are many caves to explore. Be careful, we did find some dynamite throughout the canyon in various caches. Anyways, have a great time. If you all get into trouble, I live 45 minutes from Nixon. Call me and I will be there to assist. (775-848-8196).
Yea the road up the canyon to the mine mgl was in pretty bad shape in November. I cant only imagine what it looks like now after all the rain.

OB 1466

Reactions: Cohinds4x4

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

Sad you can't make it, but thanks for the assist if we need it! Saved your number just in case. We will be careful and watch out for dynamite, haha. I'm so stoked for this trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: NV.Recon and FrankR

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

The road going up the canyon behind the camp spot. Getting to the camp spot is easy.

OB 1466

Oh ok. So the track on the GPX file which takes you up Coyote Canyon to the Nigtingale Mine was ok. Your just talking about going up the canyon behind the camp spot posted for next Saturday night?

Just want to make sure as I can't run this trip this month, but I may try and do it when I have some free time in April. Was going to use the track you posted earlier that starts and Nixon and goes straight up Coyote Canyon to Nigtingale Mine.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Oh ok. So the track on the GPX file which takes you up Coyote Canyon to the Nigtingale Mine was ok. Your just talking about going up the canyon behind the camp spot posted for next Saturday night?

Just want to make sure as I can't run this trip this month, but I may try and do it when I have some free time in April. Was going to use the track you posted earlier that starts and Nixon and goes straight up Coyote Canyon to Nigtingale Mine.
Yea you should be fine. I will let you know if coyote canyon is in good shape when we get back. We have gone up that trail in a stock 4runner.

OB 1466

Reactions: Slamson00

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Just curious for those that have been out in this area before....what is the cell service coverage like out there? Just trying to figure out if I head out there next month just how far off the grid I will be? Want to plan and pack accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any info given

Reactions: NV.Recon