NV/CA Monthly Overland Trip

• HTML tutorial

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

@O.Dfj and I have thrown around the idea of doing monthly wheeling trips around CA and NV. They would be every THIRD SUNDAY of the month since that seems like a day everyone can get off of work. Each month a different member would be in charge of the planning the trip and leading the group!

Trip #1
When
: FEBRUARY THE 19TH.
The Tentative Plan: The Sacramento group can plan where they wanna meet and then the entire group would all meet at the Shell Station in Sparks NV at 10am (Address: 295 Sparks Blvd, Sparks, NV 89434) then we will convoy about 3.5 hours to the trail head hopefully arriving at 1-2pm.
Trail Info: The trail is about 30-35 miles in total and should take 2 hours without the stop at the mine. Here is a link to some pictures of the mine, there's still quite a bit of stuff to see. The trail sounds like it is stock friendly barring any issues from the washes. It was rated a 4/10 for difficulty and a 10/10 for the scenic rating.

Let me know if you're interested!
@Byron Eby
@Michael1929
@prince1990
@mmnorthdirections
@Rubilocal
@NVJK
@NoTownTundra
@Wolfy

- Tag Anyone I missed!

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Sounds like a great idea! I would definitely be interested and would attend those that I could ( schedule depending of course).

Sub'd for further info

jayagl42

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I might be down for that too. New to the group and would love to meet you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: BobG

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Sounds like a lot of fun. Tentatively we are in. Will this be a one day trip or an overnight trip?

Klinton Kehoe

Rank VII

Trail Blazer II

Gold River, CA, USA
First Name
Klinton
Last Name
Kehoe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSB
Revisiting this post I'm really looking forward to this trip as it will be the shakedown run for my lift kit. My father in-law will be doing the trip in his rig (2004 lx470) and we will be meeting the Reno group separately from the Sacramento convoy. What concerns do stock rigs face on this trail being a 4/10 I will be doing another photo shoot for you guys along with more drone video.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Revisiting this post I'm really looking forward to this trip as it will be the shakedown run for my lift kit. My father in-law will be doing the trip in his rig (2004 lx470) and we will be meeting the Reno group separately from the Sacramento convoy. What concerns do stock rigs face on this trail being a 4/10 I will be doing another photo shoot for you guys along with more drone video.
This shouldn't be difficult, mostly your typical one lane dirt road but with all the rain we had in January there could be some wash outs that will be fun to navigate. I don't thing a stock rig will have any issues at all. If you follow the link below and go to page 71 you can read about the trail and see pictures of what it looks like!

https://books.google.com/books?id=LT54rVzP_RAC&pg=PA181&lpg=PA181&dq=Nevada+Trails+Western+Region&source=bl&ots=7VwK_UJkns&sig=koaDiyRzH7Gnjuu1XNdyaLpub7k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNt8Hul_PRAhWIKWMKHYT4BzUQ6AEIRDAI#v=onepage&q=simon ghost town&f=false

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

ATTENTION ALL WHO ARE INTERESTED, THE LOCATION AND TRAIL HAS CHANGED TO SOMEWHERE CLOSER.

Instead of driving 4 hours to Simon I found a closer trail that is still stock friendly!

Where: Pine Grove Yerington, NV
When: February 19th
Meet Up Location/Time: Love's Travel Stop ( Address: 825 Commerce Center Dr., I-80 Exit 46, Fernley, NV 89408) At 9 AM
Trail: It will take about 2 hours to get to the start of the trail from Fernley. The trail is 7.5 miles and should take about an hour each way. This trail is still stock friendly however there will be some ruts from all the weather we have had in January and washouts might be present. But don't let that scare you off, the remains of the town will be worth it!

JeniorNV

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pine Grove is a neat town site and an easy drive. If you take the main trail (NF-059 from Pine Grove Road), any stock vehicle should make it there no problem (or at least, that was the case last time I was out there). Is that the route you are planning on taking? Some of the other trails in the area are rockier and narrower (and pinstripier).

Make sure you visit the cemetery. I missed it on my first trip out there; it's not near the buildings and is a little tricky to find. GPS coords are 38 40.945, -119 7.515 and there are grave sites on both sides of the road. The trail to get there is up the hill right next to the old barn/shed.

Last edited: