Norway summer 2020 plans/ trip? (group trip perhaps?)

• HTML tutorial

Gravel Seeker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moss, Norway
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rebnord
Member #

Who knows what the 2020 summer brings, considering the situ surrounding the current Pandemic and how large groups we are able to congregate in, but I for one plan on exploring Norway. My original plan was also to explore Norway, so in that regard it hasn't changed, but the travel restrictions in place might dictate how I proceed :mask:

• Will give the southern part of the TET (Norway) a shot and just bypass the sections that are only traverse-able by bike. I've planned to do the same route on my bike in the fall with a few friends anyway. If we are allowed to venture across the Swedish border this summer - which I doubt - I might head down to Malmö, Skåne and drive the TET north to Charlottenberg to complete the southern part of the Swedish section as well.
  • Longer loop from where I live in Moss and I might use the "National tourist route network" as a rough guide. I won't drive them all and not stop at all the sights, but I figure it's a good way to figure out a general route
    • Central south (south of Viken probably)
    • Coastal road between Trøndelag to and including Lofoten
      • I enjoy the outdoors, and will be having layovers here and there to go hiking
Anyone who want to join me for the TET or sections of this longer trip or even just day- or weekend trips, please do!
¨¨¨¨¨¨ Assuming you're healthy of course - we all need to exercise social distancing as per the regulations at the time and practice proper personal hygiene in our effort to slow the spread of COVID ¨¨¨¨¨¨
Personal hygiene isn't limited to 2020 btw :astonished::wink::grin:

I'm building my 2014 Pajero atm. It's on ATs, but no lift so I'm limited to that. AFAIK it won't be an issue in Norway. I've been riding ADV motorcycles for 20 years, but have no experience 4x4ing, so a teacher would be great! YouTube only gets you so far :laughing:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I'd love to join, but my car isn't exactly useful on anything other than paved roads.

Gravel Seeker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moss, Norway
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rebnord
Member #

I'll be looking for unsealed roads as much as possible, but you're welcome to join if you are able to :blush:

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Hej Thomas,
Difficult to answer your post when I still can't login on my computer, so sitting in front of my phone replying will take some time and I'm sure there will be a few typos and "wrong" autocorrect.

Our plans were to head back to Norway this spring and explore to, but as you said this pandemic has changed everything. Also with the extension of closed boarders for non essential travel has put a stop those plans plus more. (Finland trip was cancelled beginning next week)

Was looking forward to meeting Joey this year and would like to have seen you to, we usually camp a few km south of Moss our first night entering Norway.

A Pajero on a/t's is a good bases for an overlanding vehicle, if it's equiped with the r/d lock all the better. To be honest you really don't need more with traveling in the Nordic region, focus on making the vehicle more of a comfortable place at each camp site. For example side awning, rtt, fridge ...etc We've become masters of having enough but not too much, it saves on weight and helps to eliminate unnecessary looking for something that is buried at the bottom. But with that said, you being a motorcycle driver most likely you are already an expert at planning and packing.

Fingers crossed that in the future we OB members can meet up in Norway, sooner the better.

/Todd.

Reactions: Gravel Seeker

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Todd and Thomas, we could meet up next year, a big thirsty 4x4 is not on my radar at the moment (I have tried camping before and can't fall asleep outdoors no matter how many times I try), so should we meet on the eastern side of Norway, I would have to find a nearby hotel, also.. My car came from the factory lowered which means most flat gravel roads are out of the question for me to drive on.

My point is, I would love to meet both of you, but I'm ok with waiting a while to do so, especially when the Norway/Sweden border opens up at some point in the future.

Gravel Seeker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moss, Norway
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rebnord
Member #

Hej Thomas,
Difficult to answer your post when I still can't login on my computer, so sitting in front of my phone replying will take some time and I'm sure there will be a few typos and "wrong" autocorrect.

Our plans were to head back to Norway this spring and explore to, but as you said this pandemic has changed everything. Also with the extension of closed boarders for non essential travel has put a stop those plans plus more. (Finland trip was cancelled beginning next week)

Was looking forward to meeting Joey this year and would like to have seen you to, we usually camp a few km south of Moss our first night entering Norway.

A Pajero on a/t's is a good bases for an overlanding vehicle, if it's equiped with the r/d lock all the better. To be honest you really don't need more with traveling in the Nordic region, focus on making the vehicle more of a comfortable place at each camp site. For example side awning, rtt, fridge ...etc We've become masters of having enough but not too much, it saves on weight and helps to eliminate unnecessary looking for something that is buried at the bottom. But with that said, you being a motorcycle driver most likely you are already an expert at planning and packing.

Fingers crossed that in the future we OB members can meet up in Norway, sooner the better.

/Todd.
I'm probably in. Too soon to plan next year now (I do want to go to Iceland though).
I'm getting too old to be uncomfortable so tend to overpack. Always. More so on the bike :laughing:

It's got the rear locker. Don't think you can get them without it here. It's just the one diesel engine here too. Two or three trim levels, but think that mainly applies to audio system and chrome plastic external trim. Perhaps leather seats.
BGNor ran a 30% on Old Man Emu lift kits a few weeks ago so I bit the bullet. Not installed it yet. I'll head out in July and into August for about 3-4 weeks I reckon. Goal is to hike the Nepal-sherpa-built staircases in Nordland and seek out fun roads on the way there. Using the Tourist routes and their highlights as a rough guide.
Seeing as the NOK took a real pounding when the pandemic hit, the RTT suddenly went up 30% in price so that order from Germany is on hold a little while longer.

Todd and Thomas, we could meet up next year, a big thirsty 4x4 is not on my radar at the moment (I have tried camping before and can't fall asleep outdoors no matter how many times I try), so should we meet on the eastern side of Norway, I would have to find a nearby hotel, also.. My car came from the factory lowered which means most flat gravel roads are out of the question for me to drive on.

My point is, I would love to meet both of you, but I'm ok with waiting a while to do so, especially when the Norway/Sweden border opens up at some point in the future.
Cabin in a caravan park perhaps?
I personally camp a fair deal and have been for years and no issues with sleep in tent nor hammock. Like Todd says, you can master most of the roads we have with a simpler AWD and they don't have to be that thirsty :grinning:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

A cabin in a caravan park would work for me, the only experience I have with a 4WD/AWD is that they break no matter how carefully I drive them, my previous vehicle was a 4wd 2005 Hyundai Tucson and that had to get repairs done on a monthly basis, which is why I can't afford cars like that at this time.

As for hammocks, I love them! :D