Northwestern Arkansas camping/trail advise needed!

• HTML tutorial

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I am going on a solo trip next weekend in the NW part of Arkansas in the Ozark NF and Ouachita NF. I am traveling from central Kansas. Anyone recommend some good places to camp? I have 2 nights to plan for, and I plan on moving sites each night unless I find a premium site. Hoping to have a fire each night. I am also looking for some good roads and trails to cruise while I'm there. Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Reactions: RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I love that area - the Karst topography is outstanding - but I haven’t been in decades. I remember the Buffalo River & Bull Shoals as being nice. Please post your finds (or I’d appreciate a DM) as my Mom is in KC & usually drives out to CO, UT or even here. I know there must be some good weekender spots down there.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I love that area - the Karst topography is outstanding - but I haven’t been in decades. I remember the Buffalo River & Bull Shoals as being nice. Please post your finds (or I’d appreciate a DM) as my Mom is in KC & usually drives out to CO, UT or even here. I know there must be some good weekender spots down there.
I'll be sure to take a few photos, but I mainly plan on relaxing and putting out the fire that is caused me to be burnt out. There are a few spots all over the state to run trails and camp out. iOverlander has been most helpful finding potential spots to camp. Just hoping someone more local can shed some light on anything good that I don't know about. I've raced mountain bikes in the state so I know some, but I didn't have a ton of time to explore on race weekends.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

For dispersed camping in arkansas or oklahoma in ouachitas or ozarks you can camp pretty much anywhere within around 100ft of the service roads aka trails. Usually at the end of alot of trails there will be a fire ring someone else who has camped there already made those are usually the easiest.

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

Lots of forest service rds and trails in the area. Definitely recommend eating at Oark Cafe. Most of the area has dispersed camping along the way

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Make sure to check the mvum maps
I've been plugging through the IVM (Interactive Visitor Map) per a suggestion from a friend. I have also downloaded the Avenza app since that's what the NFS suggested as well, but that's paid per map. Is there a good place near either NF to get a paper copy of the MVUM's for free???

Last edited:

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

I've been plugging through the IVM (Interactive Visitor Map) per a suggestion from a friend. I have also downloaded the Avenza app since that's what the NFS suggested as well, but that's paid per map. Is there a good place near either NF to get a paper copy of the MVUM's for free???
There is a visitor center near Clarksville. Don’t remember exactly where. Should be googleable.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Any suggestions on some good roads/trails in the area to hit up in the Ozark NF? I've got about an 80 mile route from Cass to Deer that should take me through a lot of good mix area. Hoping to find some areas to test my rig a little.

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

Any suggestions on some good roads/trails in the area to hit up in the Ozark NF? I've got about an 80 mile route from Cass to Deer that should take me through a lot of good mix area. Hoping to find some areas to test my rig a little.
There are some trails on the mvum off of white Rock mt. Near the top. Pin stripes are guaranteed though. Near Cass

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
There are some trails on the mvum off of white Rock mt. Near the top. Pin stripes are guaranteed though. Near Cass
I think that's where I've mapped out for the weekend. I have at least 100 miles of non-pavement to travel/explore from Cass to Deer.

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

Also check out the trails at Byrd’s adventure center in between Cass and oark. The forest service roads need Byrd’s aren’t bad either.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
FS Rd 1405 between hwy 21 and 12 has at least 3 water crossings and some decent rocks to crawl over. East of oark, comes out just south of Haw creek falls
I've got this one on the map now. Looks like it'll intersect with my current route. Looks promising. I better bring my water shoes with all the water I'll be going through this weekend. Thanks!

Reactions: Wandering Yeti