Northern Nevada (Reno Area) People

• HTML tutorial

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hey everyone, so we have our Reno OB meetups but they are always happening on weekdays and I work nights so it's impossible for me to ever make the meetings. I still want to stay in touch and participate but it's been difficult, mostly I feel like the only events that are happening are "official" events that are planned at the meetings and those smaller or spontaneous runs are missing. I wanted to suggest that we use r/renooverland as a place to share pictures, have discussions, and get invites out for trips. Personally I think it's a little odd sending out an email to everyone on the group list and the problem on this forum is it's easy to miss stuff unless your on here all the time - even still we share as sub with the entire west region.

I go out pretty regularly, but 99% of the time it's a solo trip and this isn't the safest way to roll for sure. I was hoping that we could have an established online forum where we can share our weekend plans to hopefully make it easier to find trail partners. Do any of you in the area have any thoughts on this?

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hey everyone, so we have our Reno OB meetups but they are always happening on weekdays and I work nights so it's impossible for me to ever make the meetings. I still want to stay in touch and participate but it's been difficult, mostly I feel like the only events that are happening are "official" events that are planned at the meetings and those smaller or spontaneous runs are missing. I wanted to suggest that we use r/renooverland as a place to share pictures, have discussions, and get invites out for trips. Personally I think it's a little odd sending out an email to everyone on the group list and the problem on this forum is it's easy to miss stuff unless your on here all the time - even still we share as sub with the entire west region.

I go out pretty regularly, but 99% of the time it's a solo trip and this isn't the safest way to roll for sure. I was hoping that we could have an established online forum where we can share our weekend plans to hopefully make it easier to find trail partners. Do any of you in the area have any thoughts on this?
@Brooke - I’d like to suggest working with your Member Representative, @HappyOurOverlanding , on starting a Reno thread for information other than meetups. It seems confusing to add another forum to the OB forum which already has many threads that are available to post and read.
Examples would be Trip Planning as well as individual threads were invites, pics, and general information could be posted.

Reactions: Brooke

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@Brooke - I’d like to suggest working with your Member Representative, @HappyOurOverlanding , on starting a Reno thread for information other than meetups. It seems confusing to add another forum to the OB forum which already has many threads that are available to post and read.
Examples would be Trip Planning as well as individual threads were invites, pics, and general information could be posted.
Would we be able to start a Reno area sub on this forum? As it is, I find it cumbersome to get to the relevant stuff on this platform - it's great as a general discussion tool but when it comes to connecting with locals and getting a trail partner it seems that you have to post well in advance. I feel like it's better suited for bigger events, like regional meetups of longer trips that a lot of planning goes into but for your weekend warrior types it's less effective. I know a lot of work has gone into making this platform, in particular the rally point feature, and perhaps I haven't spent enough time on it to really get familiar with it. I'm by no means suggesting to abandon this platform but as an auxiliary to use something like a reddit sub where things are distilled down to a smaller scale. But if we could achieve that here that would work too. As for our local stuff, so far the trend has been something gets setup at the meetings, then a mass email goes out and we are tagged in a Rally Point - but only the groups leaders are able to do that. I can come onto the website and create an event, but it doesn't get sent out to the group - I'd have to go into the group emails, scrape the addresses from that and then apply them onto the rally point to shoot the invite. One solution to this would be if we could join a group, for example Reno OB, and when someone creates an event all they need to do is tag Reno OB and all the members of that group would receive the notification.

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Would we be able to start a Reno area sub on this forum? As it is, I find it cumbersome to get to the relevant stuff on this platform - it's great as a general discussion tool but when it comes to connecting with locals and getting a trail partner it seems that you have to post well in advance. I feel like it's better suited for bigger events, like regional meetups of longer trips that a lot of planning goes into but for your weekend warrior types it's less effective. I know a lot of work has gone into making this platform, in particular the rally point feature, and perhaps I haven't spent enough time on it to really get familiar with it. I'm by no means suggesting to abandon this platform but as an auxiliary to use something like a reddit sub where things are distilled down to a smaller scale. But if we could achieve that here that would work too. As for our local stuff, so far the trend has been something gets setup at the meetings, then a mass email goes out and we are tagged in a Rally Point - but only the groups leaders are able to do that. I can come onto the website and create an event, but it doesn't get sent out to the group - I'd have to go into the group emails, scrape the addresses from that and then apply them onto the rally point to shoot the invite. One solution to this would be if we could join a group, for example Reno OB, and when someone creates an event all they need to do is tag Reno OB and all the members of that group would receive the notification.
The short answer is yes, you can start a Reno group thread and if you “Watch” the thread you’ll get notifications when there’s postings.

Las Vegas has a group thread and very recently started a meetup thread with RP. Even with a separate thread, you should still use RP for any meets or trips big or small. Again, your best source to work with is @HappyOurOverlanding.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The short answer is yes, you can start a Reno group thread and if you “Watch” the thread you’ll get notifications when there’s postings.

Las Vegas has a group thread and very recently started a meetup thread with RP. Even with a separate thread, you should still use RP for any meets or trips big or small. Again, your best source to work with is @HappyOurOverlanding.
@Brooke, Reno has a thread that you can watch at US West - Reno Overlanding Meetings and Trail Runs Thread

This is where meeting minutes and info on runs are posted. I also send out the summary emails as you indicated that usually have a link back to a Rally Point or other pertinent info.

Let me know if this is not working for you.

Reactions: Brooke

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Reactions: Narbob