Northern California winter trip

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

I am planning on going somewhere near gold lake California in February. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this area ?

I looked online and it says it’s open until snow ? During this time is it normally closed ? I’m thinking around this time there should be snow. I would prefer to go during snow season.

If it will be completely closed, What other places are good for snow wheeling and camping ?

Also if anybody wants to meet up let me know I’m always up for new company.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Yep, Lakes Basin Recreation Area (and Gold Lake Highway from Bassetts to Graeagle) closes once winter sets in. Its already been snowing up there a bit although I dont think its sticking yet.

Here's a web cam at Bassetts Station at Hwy 49 and Gold Lake Highway: http://www.bassetts-station.com/ImgDisplay1.html

Forgive me if I sound like a broken record but the Mendocino National Forest could be a great winter alternative to the Sierras. During the winter you can easily find snow at higher elevations and the forest stays open all year round. https://www.fs.usda.gov/mendocino

Last edited:

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

MNF is a seriously good time! I'd recommend, Lake Pillsbury and Letts Lake if you're looking for spots by water.

Pillsbury is the largest lake in the forest and has some good easy camp sites along the northern edge; Navy Camp, Oak Flat, and a few at Sunset Point. I've only camped at Oak Flat there which is the largest of these, but it should be pretty empty at this time of year.
Pillsbury-map.png

Letts Lake might be easier for you to access from the Sacramento area through Stony Ford. I think Letts is the most beautiful in MNF (although I believe all of them are man made). There's camping along the eastern and southern edges of the lake but I think only the sites along the southern edge will be open this time of year. This is a great place to bring a canoe or some other motor-less craft.
Letts-map.png

MNF is chock full of fire roads and trails and is the only National Forest that does not have a paved road running all the way though it. You will be on dirt roads 95% of the time in there. Many roads are pretty smooth and well maintained (especially M1 which is even paved in some stretches). Smaller roads will be more like trails and then there are much smaller dirt bike and ATV trails (not open to street legal vehicles). There are also bazillions of miles of hiking trails and even equestrian trails and camp sites. Have a look at google maps, you'll see that its a huge tangle of roads to explore. I've been going here for about 15 years and I think I've only seen about 5% of it.

Here's a link to order maps for MNF. I have both the folding map and the atlas, but I'd get the folding map if you only want to get one of them:
Folding map: http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-9.htm
Atlas: http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-70.htm

There's no substitute for paper maps in hand but here's a link to download a PDF map of MNF (17MB, too big to attach here), right click to save to your computer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v914cv76ig1sqxw/mendocino.pdf?dl=0

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Way back in early 90s we took our FJ80 to the TLCA Gold Lake Poker Run. Lots o fun,several lakes. I would love to join you but not in snow. That being said, keep me on your invite list.
Thanks

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

Buddy of mine and I hit up Mendocino a month back or so. From Ukiah we headed into Bear Creek campground. Spent the night and then over to Letts Lake for an evening and then over to 5 and back down. Letts lake is a lot more developed of a spot. Some family camping going on etc. There was a small water crossing going into Bear Creek and the road between them was rutted pretty bad and kinda steep in spots. I could have passed on the west side and just explored the Bear Creek side and been pretty happy.

upload_2017-11-17_22-48-16.png
upload_2017-11-17_22-48-57.png

Reactions: MBroenkow

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

I was planning on gold lake February 16-18 but I’m not sure if it’s closed . If your interested pm me. The location can change since we are unsure

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I would love to join, on a Gold Lake trip. Additionally, the short hike to the Sierra Fire Lookout, is a must do...when in the area. Last winter, I snowshoe'd in when the gate at Bassett's was closed.

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

Per my conversation with the forest service staff, the road (gold lake hwy) doesn't have a hard and fast closure date, and the gate at Basset's is closed once they determine the road to be unusable due to conditions. At this point, there isn't anywhere near enough snow to warrant closure, so perhaps a earlier trip might be an option.