Northern California 12/28 - 1/1

• HTML tutorial

be-lost

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey guys, decided to skip the new year's Eve madness and we are taking off for a few days of camping. Heading up North from the SF Bay area. Anyone headed out?

Unfortunately, we are not 4x4. Got plenty of cold weather gear and 2 labs!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: infennonlabs

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Usal is definitely on my list to check out

Sent from my Nexus 9 using OB Talk mobile app
There are some other threads about Usal Beach / Lost Coast Trail. Search for them for more info. In the past we had a number of reports of inconsiderate locals ruining the experience although this time of year you may fare better. We went in May a couple years ago and ended up not even camping there due to everyone behaving like an asshat.

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

There are some other threads about Usal Beach / Lost Coast Trail. Search for them for more info. In the past we had a number of reports of inconsiderate locals ruining the experience although this time of year you may fare better. We went in May a couple years ago and ended up not even camping there due to everyone behaving like an asshat.
Yeah saw some of those posts. Sad.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using OB Talk mobile app

be-lost

Rank 0

Contributor I

If only i had seen this before I lost cell signal! Haha. We stayed at Stillwater, VanDamme and Hendy. I am just a beginner and finding routes off road that are doable it's turning to be a challenge. I might need the gurus to suggest some guides/books. Lots of roads I thought we could go on were closed. I'm really looking forward to learning more and hopefully going out with some of you folks.

Hendy was, indeed, very nice. It got quite cold in my 25f sleeping bag!

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

If only i had seen this before I lost cell signal! Haha. We stayed at Stillwater, VanDamme and Hendy. I am just a beginner and finding routes off road that are doable it's turning to be a challenge. I might need the gurus to suggest some guides/books. Lots of roads I thought we could go on were closed. I'm really looking forward to learning more and hopefully going out with some of you folks.

Hendy was, indeed, very nice. It did quite cold in my 25f sleeping bag!

Start with this book.

Were you running into road closures because of snow, or other reasons? Part of trip planning (even for a day) is checking for road closures, especially this time of year. What are you driving? I'm in SF too, and would be more than happy to meet up sometime and answer any questions:)