Launch Member

Contributor I

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Roberg
Member #

Hey anyone in AZ or close to AZ know a good trail and secluded camping spot in northern AZ? Wanna camp this weekend but wanna be in a camping area away from other people specifically “city people” (overlanders excluded)

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Hopefully, some of these ideas will help. I put this together quickly so let me know if you need more detailed information.

Between Sedona and Cottonwood there is dispersed camping along FR525.

Edge of the world trip near Sedona
Take Historic Route 66 west out of Flagstaff, then turn left on Woody Mountain Road.
Follow this road, which turns to dirt, for about 23 miles. Do not take any side roads until
you can see the break in the trees to your right. This is the Edge of the World. Choose any of
the pull-offs here to enjoy the view.
There is a point on the map for it on this forum's map. 34.980825,-111.826984

North west of Flagstaff, go to Snow Bowl rd, go north. I cannot find the forest road number right now,
but I think it is the first right after turning on Snow Bowl road. There are some good dispersed sites
along this road. It fills up quickly though.

North of Alpine on Hwy 191 turn right on FR 56. This takes you up Escudilla Mountain. There
are quite a few dispersed camping spots up towards Terry Flat. Unfortunately, a lot of this area burned several
years ago. Here is a picture:
20180622_174630.jpg

There is also Luna Lake east of Alpine. This is a paid campsite and can get busy.

Another interesting area is south of Alpine on Red Hill Road on the Blue River. Just on
the west side of the river there is an eight spot camp ground hidden in the trees called
Blue Crossing Campground.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Bootsie624

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

I need to clarify the Flagstaff information I provided. The area I was describing is called the Fort Valley Trail System and the forest road I referred to is FR164B. I looks like according to this PDF: FortValleyTrails, the part of FR164B I pointed to is not open to dispersed camping until you get further in to the road. However, further north there is another forest road, 522, that may have been what I was thinking about.