Northern 4/8 Aluminum Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Yota_Crazy_13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Princeton, FL
Member #

So I saw this trailer on Northern Tools, I wanted some input if others have used this as their base for off road trailers? Compared to the Harbor freight one? I understand I would change out the suspension and for my needs I would probably remove the folding ability of the trailer.

Thoughts and input please!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=050217_FreeShipping_C&utm_campaign=eDeals&utm_content=P16&cm_lm=delacampa91@gmail.com&STATE=CA&HOT_MEM_CODE=&MARKETCODE=&om_rid=AAn5aA&om_mid=_BZCILaB9bWPhot

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

I think that by the time you reinforce and modify these small trailers you could have easily built your own rolling frame for much cheaper.

Reactions: Yota_Crazy_13

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

If you have the ability to weld aluminum than sure. The basic frame is the cheapest part of the trailer. Once you replace the axle, hubs, springs and add brakes you've spent as much as you did on the trailer. And you still have to modify and reinforce the existing trailer.

I think you are better off building the entire thing or start with a trailer that is already up to spec and just needs the box and accessories added.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Aluminum is expensive to purchase and can fatigue crack quickly when traveling empty on anything but smooth surfaces. They will also eat up some tires and vibrate like crazy on rough surfaces. That is probably why a lot of companies have gone to rivet or bolting the aluminum frames together. Steel is heavier, easier to repair and will last so much longer.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Unless you have an EXTREMELY limited towing capacity, go with a steel frame. The ease of repair and maintenance is well worth the extra few pounds.