North Rim Grand Canyon

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
We didn't have any trouble finding a place to camp in the Kaibab National Forest. The lower part of those forest service roads would accomodate a Class A RV, but if you keep going and take off on a side road it becomes a road less traveled and you can find some nice secluded areas.

BTW, it is worth it to stop in Jacob Lake and pick up a few cookies. That is a great bakery.

Reactions: Ed B and CTO1Mike

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We’ll be there in two weeks. Can’t wait. We have two nights at Point Sublime but still need to find one night somewhere before we head into the park. Any suggestions?
Fire Point (Permit also required)
Crazy Jug Point - No permit required. It is outside of the park. Just to the west of the point there are a few camping spots.

Reactions: 4Corners4Runner

4Corners4Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cortez, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Addingt
Member #

Jake up
We didn't have any trouble finding a place to camp in the Kaibab National Forest. The lower part of those forest service roads would accomodate a Class A RV, but if you keep going and take off on a side road it becomes a road less traveled and you can find some nice secluded areas.

BTW, it is worth it to stop in Jacob Lake and pick up a few cookies. That is a great bakery.
Jacob Lake is a must do, speed limit is 25 mph around the store are, The local Mountie enforces it !

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Overland North Rim Grand Canyon!View attachment 111284
What are the chances of getting a site here on a Saturday mid day? We are hoping to stay on the north side of Flag on Friday night and get an early start in the morning?

My wife liked you're planter. We have a neighbor that is into VW buses, he has six of them.

We have 10 days planed the third week of Sept we are going to chase after fall colors so we'll probably spend a good part of that time in Colorado, so I may hit you up for some ideas.

Todd

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

The Kaibab NF is huge. If you don't need a specific spot, there must be thousands of places to overnight. Here's one we came across last time I was there (2010). The event of the evening was seeing a deer chase a fox out across the meadow we camped on the edge of.

Kaibab NF - AZ.jpg

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

One additional story, back in 1977, a friend, my brother, and I spent a few weeks traveling and camping in the southwest (we didn't call it "overlanding" in those days even though we were in an old Westy). Anyway, one night in the Kaibab on the North Rim, we gathered rocks to build a fire ring and noticed ALL of them were full of seashell fossils of various types. That was a trip to realize how those got to be on what was now a forest floor.

4Corners4Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cortez, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Addingt
Member #

What are the chances of getting a site here on a Saturday mid day? We are hoping to stay on the north side of Flag on Friday night and get an early start in the morning?

My wife liked you're planter. We have a neighbor that is into VW buses, he has six of them.

We have 10 days planed the third week of Sept we are going to chase after fall colors so we'll probably spend a good part of that time in Colorado, so I may hit you up for some ideas.

Todd
No problem on the Colorado sites! As for the Saturday arrival, shouldn’t be a problem on Locust point, I’ll send you a map this evening!

4Corners4Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cortez, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Addingt
Member #

One additional story, back in 1977, a friend, my brother, and I spent a few weeks traveling and camping in the southwest (we didn't call it "overlanding" in those days even though we were in an old Westy). Anyway, one night in the Kaibab on the North Rim, we gathered rocks to build a fire ring and noticed ALL of them were full of seashell fossils of various types. That was a trip to realize how those got to be on what was now a forest floor.
Exactly and at 9000 ft!

4Corners4Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cortez, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Addingt
Member #

Todd
Todd I didn’t have last nite to work on the map, I’ll see what I can do over the weekend, we always camp right on the rim, it’s amazing! Dave

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

No worries we were out camping on the rim this weekend. Not the Grand Canyon rim. The Mogollon Rim just north of Payson. Had to cut it short a day because our battery for the teardrop and fridge wouldn't charge. 6 month old Vmax appears to be toasted. Now to find something for next weekend.

Todd

Reactions: 4Corners4Runner

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Todd
As CSG said, the Kaibab NF is huge and finding a campsite should be no problem. Locust, Timp and N. Timp point are all great and require no permits. Crazy Jug is a little further north and it also requires no permit.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
North Rim @ Kelly Point. Another great location. A bit rough getting there in that the trail through the trees is tight and some of the two-track (at least last summer) had some washout. Again, permit needed, but well-worth the effort. Fire Point was also amazing, but the end of the road and out onto the point doesn't have a lot of room for multiple campsites and this area is close to the Visitor's Center so it probably gets a bit more pressure, plus the road is pretty smooth sailing from the highway.
IMG_5443.JPG