Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Remind me of dates/ times of your Feb Meet-up please. Our house in Hayden closes on 30 Jan. , should be moved in by the Feb. meeting
Should be the 12th at 1 unless it's changed for the Superbowl

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Yes we meet the Second Sunday, 1-3pm. And yes I’ll still keep it and if people need to bug out early to get to a SB party there will be time for the 3:30pm kick off.

To move @Ebbs thread about trip planning here, I copied and pasted his message below. What I would like to do is focus on an early March trip.

Let’s shoot for March 3-5th.

What a good weekeend destination below snow level?

@Ebbs post-
I know we discussed the Snake River/Lewiston area might be good for March...Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Any ideas for the rest of the year? areas you want to go explore? I'll start (most of mine are just areas I want to go explore rather than specific spots)
Salmo Mountain Lookout
Shorty Peak
Burton Peak
Sherman Pass
Hungry Horse Dam
Snyder Guard Station Historical District
Breeden Falls
Juniper Dunes Wilderness
Sugar Loaf Lookout (been there but LOVED it and would go back in a heartbeat)
Wallowa Lake area
Steen's Mountains/Alvord Desert (been there many times... never out on the flats though)

Tagging those that were at the meeting but EVERYONE please feel free to chime in!
@Mountaintrails71
@brewerrob
@Mitch&TigaB
@Sandpoint Steve
@Big Red Burb
@Señor Steve
@G.Goodwin

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Anyone know what is happening in downtown Spokane? At the Spokane convention center. There are three black series trailers out front?

Attachments

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Probably here for the RV show.

Reactions: Ebbs and PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
March 3-5th, plan on a trip this weekend! Hoping to leave 1 or 2pm if you can get a half day off.

We are finalizing the route but it will be heading south a little. More to come!

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

March 3-5th, plan on a trip this weekend! Hoping to leave 1 or 2pm if you can get a half day off.

We are finalizing the route but it will be heading south a little. More to come!
I’ve got a banquet the night of the 4th but will try and meet up.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

I’ve got a banquet the night of the 4th but will try and meet up.
Cancel. Easy.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

• Sad

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Our next meet up- SuperBowl Sunday. Feb 12th 1-2:30 (ending early for the game)

Well today I ”attempted” (read= FAIL) to prerun a potential camp spot for our trip March 3-5th. Currently the plan is first night will be at Juniper Dunes OHV and I’m trying to figure out Saturday night. This is a fun easy trip, a get out and use our gear trip. So though not super scenic still a chance to get out!

I drove out past George WA off 90W just across the Columbia river and headed up into those hills. I was looking for 47.11144, -120.03497, which looks like this
6F5FC764-BE42-48CC-A426-65E79F9843A3.jpeg
I got 1/4 of the way in and on a narrow shelf road going downhill the ruts in the dirt road became ice and I started sliding. I made it about 1/4 of a mile to a flat spot to turn around and spent 30 minutes trying to get back up a short section of road. I aired down to 14 PSI, shifted to low range, locked my diff, and still slid 20 ft backwards down the road at about 8mph. Thought I going over the edge!

I managed to get 2 of my wheels onto the edge of the mountain and dealt with a high angle of lean to get up the section.

ICE SUCKS

In a couple weeks I’m going to do more prerunNing, there or somewhere else, if you wanna go let me know!

My hill of ice that defeated me!
View attachment trim.8BCAC4CF-F8BD-4292-A477-DE95C0B0B036.MOV

I did get some nice shots
E5330BC1-A2A6-4E1B-94EC-0E4A91C5AE0B.jpegA19A5FD0-A755-42EC-BC2C-ACAED54E9DA5.jpeg

Reactions: G.Goodwin

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Yes we meet the Second Sunday, 1-3pm. And yes I’ll still keep it and if people need to bug out early to get to a SB party there will be time for the 3:30pm kick off.

To move @Ebbs thread about trip planning here, I copied and pasted his message below. What I would like to do is focus on an early March trip.

@Ebbs post-
I know we discussed the Snake River/Lewiston area might be good for March...Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Any ideas for the rest of the year? areas you want to go explore? I'll start (most of mine are just areas I want to go explore rather than specific spots)
Salmo Mountain Lookout
Shorty Peak
Burton Peak
Sherman Pass
Hungry Horse Dam
Breeden Falls
Juniper Dunes Wilderness
Wallowa Lake area
Steen's Mountains/Alvord Desert (been there many times... never out on the flats though)

Tagging those that were at the meeting but EVERYONE please feel free to chime in!
@Mountaintrails71
@brewerrob
@Mitch&TigaB
@Sandpoint Steve
@Big Red Burb
@Señor Steve
@G.Goodwin
If you're looking to come down and explore Juniper sand dunes @Ceg has put together a clean up there the last couple years sometime March/April. It has been the same weekend some local 4x4 clubs do there's also. Might be a good weekend to get down here and do some clean up work while exploring a new area.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Another place you can check out for an early spring trip is Bull Prairie Lake campground. Me and some friends stayed there a couple years ago for our annual winter camp trip. It's in NE Oregon so might be a little bit of a road trip for you but not a bad place. It's near Morrow County ORV park, with lots of forest roads to explore in the area. I've been watching snow depths there for a possible trip this winter and snow looks minimal, 8"-12". I usually stay away from campgrounds but being winter and snow on the ground it keeps people away, only other people we saw while there were some day trippers that came to the lake to ice fish.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Another place you can check out for an early spring trip is Bull Prairie Lake campground. Me and some friends stayed there a couple years ago for our annual winter camp trip. It's in NE Oregon so might be a little bit of a road trip for you but not a bad place. It's near Morrow County ORV park, with lots of forest roads to explore in the area. I've been watching snow depths there for a possible trip this winter and snow looks minimal, 8"-12". I usually stay away from campgrounds but being winter and snow on the ground it keeps people away, only other people we saw while there were some day trippers that came to the lake to ice fish.
Yeah that's in the area I grew up hunting. Definitely not a bad area and plenty of roads to explore and sites to camp at.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Is Bull Prairie open in March?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

It was when I was up there 2 winters ago. The road into wasn't plowed and none of the campground was cleared of snow but the forest service website said it was open and the bathroom was unlocked. Don't recall if there was even a gate for the campground. Nice little campground and lake with a walking path around it. Its not far off the highway and you can access the back side of the ORV park from the road its on, I could see it being a busy place when the weather is warmer. Here's a couple pictures from when we were there.20210116_082535.jpg
20210116_082716.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
It was when I was up there 2 winters ago. The road into wasn't plowed and none of the campground was cleared of snow but the forest service website said it was open and the bathroom was unlocked. Don't recall if there was even a gate for the campground. Nice little campground and lake with a walking path around it. Its not far off the highway and you can access the back side of the ORV park from the road its on, I could see it being a busy place when the weather is warmer. Here's a couple pictures from when we were there.View attachment 249216
View attachment 249217
i like it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

@Ebbs post-

Salmo Mountain Lookout
Shorty Peak
Burton Peak
Sherman Pass
Hungry Horse Dam
Breeden Falls
Juniper Dunes Wilderness
Wallowa Lake area

@Mountaintrails71
@brewerrob
@Mitch&TigaB
@Sandpoint Steve
@Big Red Burb
@Señor Steve
@G.Goodwin
Being in the Snake River Valley… March is a crap shoot for a trip in the Lewiston/Clarkston area… while not much snow, March/April is the cold rainy season at the lower elevations, and getting higher in elevation the snow still flies into July at times.

@PapaDave thanks for hosting these meetups. It looks like you have a pretty good and successful group growing around you. If you need anything please reach out to me and I will do what I can to help support your events.