US Northwest North Idaho Meet Up- Bull River Montana to Whiskey Rock Bay May 19-21st 2023

• HTML tutorial

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
If you can make it be sure to RSVP and confirm if you wanna caravan on Friday evening or meet up there. The drive from the south via Kingston (CDA River RD) is pretty epic and we will head up that way.
EDC58E73-388A-4E97-947B-1678797B9E96.jpegFC0C1CB8-4F48-47A1-A465-3A184F086CEB.jpegDD8233FC-51AC-4E5A-96C3-94959261D83A.jpeg

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So I did the route today to check out Bull River and Bad Medicine campgrounds. They are both nice!

Ideally I perfer dispersed camping spots but we need about another month for the higher elevations to shed their snow.

Here are photos of Bull River, the lower spots are right on the river
7A709277-8006-406B-9C3A-D13D465B17C2.jpegF66AF108-FB7A-4F77-A4B4-6057EA8A1C4E.jpegBDE9AE5A-D958-4B33-B52D-96292D02F711.jpeg
800F12E5-9D34-4220-A793-84B7E3D1DCA4.jpeg6094EB63-7F23-4E0B-BA91-D7DB98C9E3A3.jpeg

Bad Medicine is a little tighter but has a cool peninusla with spots in a circle but they are a little smaller
27CB71F0-43FD-4F79-9CAE-FAB9CAB4BC91.jpeg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I'm going, but I'll meet you guys up there as I plan to leave way early and do some exploring.
I expect you to go straight over the mountains there. Straight over John

Last edited:

Codeman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Post Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Hanson
Looking forward to it. The Cabinets are one of my favorite spots! Happy to share some nearby things to do in that area if anyone is interested.

Reactions: PapaDave

Montana Carl

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert Montana
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kila MT
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Wells
Member #

I plan on going. I’ll meet you at the campsite. I’ll be coming from Kalispell. Looking forward to meeting everybody. I’d be good to get out. It’s been a long winter. What time do you think you’ll be at the campsite?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I plan on going. I’ll meet you at the campsite. I’ll be coming from Kalispell. Looking forward to meeting everybody. I’d be good to get out. It’s been a long winter. What time do you think you’ll be at the campsite?
Glad you can make it! I’m thinking 7pm or so, if you get there eariler see if you can hold the area in the lower loop by the river. If you would hit the rsvp button if you haven’t so I’ve got an idea of the head count, thanks!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hello everyone. Originally I was planning for this trip to head to Whiskey Rock Bay that is right on Pend Oreille. 2 weeks ago I attempted to prerun the route and was foiled by snow. Today I did the route and all the snow has melted so I wanted to find out if everyone would be more interested in doing this route as opposed to BullRiver Campground?

The original trip is all pavement aside from the campgrounds whereas the Whiskey Rock Bay route is about 70 miles of dirt. There‘s a couple camp spots near the lake (at about 30 feet above the lake) and there’s a potential group spot kinda near the “beach” as well. Check out the GPX file and see what you think.

Thoughts?
E612F6C3-069F-48BD-A95C-47B5B43CF987.jpegCEB63565-E8B6-4ED3-A410-7730370B2DAB.jpeg89533537-61DB-4FD7-836D-A82D97E360CF.jpeg

Attachments

jad3116

Rank VI

Builder II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
DeLeon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MGC
Hello everyone. Originally I was planning for this trip to head to Whiskey Rock Bay that is right on Pend Oreille. 2 weeks ago I attempted to prerun the route and was foiled by snow. Today I did the route and all the snow has melted so I wanted to find out if everyone would be more interested in doing this route as opposed to BullRiver Campground?

The original trip is all pavement aside from the campgrounds whereas the Whiskey Rock Bay route is about 70 miles of dirt. There‘s a couple camp spots near the lake (at about 30 feet above the lake) and there’s a potential group spot kinda near the “beach” as well. Check out the GPX file and see what you think.

Thoughts?
View attachment 257762View attachment 257763View attachment 257764
I'm up for doing the Whiskey lake route!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We are doing Bull River Friday night and heading to Whiskey Rock Saturday afternoon. The Rally Point has been updated, maps to both are available

Reactions: Guest_9e7caa

Crackerjack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wenatchee, WA,
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BBK
Service Branch
ARNG ‘87-‘98
Had hoped to make this my first OB trip but caring for my elderly mother always comes first. Such is this season of life. May be able to make it over on 6/10-11 to celebrate my birthday with a trail ride! Have a great time. I'll get there eventually!

Guest_9e7caa

Rank I

Contributor III

Rathdrum, Idaho, United States
First Name
April
Last Name
Jansen

Thoughts?
Let me talk w/ Andrew and we’ll get back to you tonight. But I’m thinking we’re ok with it. ~April

Reactions: AcJ and PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Thoughts?
Let me talk w/ Andrew and we’ll get back to you tonight. But I’m thinking we’re ok with it. ~April
We’ve got spots 20, 25, 26