North Georgia/UpState SC Meetup - 11/18/2017

• HTML tutorial

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Got back to work today and found out I'm working every Saturday night till Christmas so other than a Sunday day trip, I'm out of pocket. BUT the good news is you online shoppers will pay for my suspension lift on the Tundra so all good...
Right on!!! What kind of suspension lift are you going with? Let me know if you need help with the install, I did mine in the garage.

Reactions: k9sar

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hope you & Trecia survived the storm front and the wind. Enjoyed meeting you both and look forward to getting together again. The group discussed a ride in January of the eastern portion of the Georgia Traverse. Keep in touch and watching here if interested.
Hey Keith, yep, we survived the storm and it was a dozy. The wind had both of us concerned more than the heavy rainfall. We heard trees in the area snapping and limbs thudding to the ground. I got hit in the head by a small branch as we sat around our campfire, which was pretty funny since that is the "hardest spot" on my body (according to Trecia).

I would be interested in meeting up again for a group run in late January. At present we're planning to be back in GA around the 15th to 18th from our Southwestern US trip.

We really loved the scenery in the Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness areas but were a little surprised with the roads. They are too passable!! I guess I'm pleased that the Forest Svs. makes the area so easy for "normal" ppl to travel and view but, Dang, there was a lot of traffic. Much more than we're used to in the Eastern part of the Chattahoochee National Forest. There we were driving a 4x4 pick up and yet were seeing Mercedes 350s and Camrys on the road with us! LOL

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Hey Keith, yep, we survived the storm and it was a dozy. The wind had both of us concerned more than the heavy rainfall. We heard trees in the area snapping and limbs thudding to the ground. I got hit in the head by a small branch as we sat around our campfire, which was pretty funny since that is the "hardest spot" on my body (according to Trecia).

I would be interested in meeting up again for a group run in late January. At present we're planning to be back in GA around the 15th to 18th from our Southwestern US trip.

We really loved the scenery in the Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness areas but were a little surprised with the roads. They are too passable!! I guess I'm pleased that the Forest Svs. makes the area so easy for "normal" ppl to travel and view but, Dang, there was a lot of traffic. Much more than we're used to in the Eastern part of the Chattahoochee National Forest. There we were driving a 4x4 pick up and yet were seeing Mercedes 350s and Camrys on the road with us! LOL
We saw similar on Tray Mountain. I guess at this point we should be thankful to have access at all. Once the cold sets in, I suspect the 2 wheel traffic will die off considerably and I'm hoping for some snow because that is when I really get frisky. Love the beauty of a mountain snowscape.

As the front moved through Cindy and I were thinking about Trecia and you (BTW Cindy would also say I have the same hard head problem too, must be genetic LOL!) so glad other than some tense moments, it all worked out.

As the January meetup starts to take shape, I'll post everything here and I'll even tag this thread with a link to the new meetup thread. Giles made a list of everyone's phone number so if you gave him your number I have a copy of that list. Once things got going I was going to text everyone the specifics. A guy I met at Expo with a bad ass Tundra is planning on joining as well as a bout 5 or 6 others from the Overland Bound Southeast Facebook forum. One is coming from Huntsville Alabama.

Have a great T-giving and then enjoy that trip out west. Safe travels and Happy Trails to Trecia and yourself.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I'll definitely try to make it out in January to meet all of you. I've been wanting to try the GA Traverse.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

We saw similar on Tray Mountain. I guess at this point we should be thankful to have access at all. Once the cold sets in, I suspect the 2 wheel traffic will die off considerably and I'm hoping for some snow because that is when I really get frisky. Love the beauty of a mountain snowscape...
I plan on watching the weather systems closely this winter in hopes to meet up with some friends in TN and do a snow run/camping at Wind Rock, let me know if any of you might be interested... this could be a great experience for future Antarctica trips.

CaptGB

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lilburn, GA
Member #

Got back to work today and found out I'm working every Saturday night till Christmas so other than a Sunday day trip, I'm out of pocket. BUT the good news is you online shoppers will pay for my suspension lift on the Tundra so all good.

Talking about a Late January trip on the eastern section of Ga. Traverse so stay tuned. Already got 4 or 5 other rigs from the OB Southeast FB group down for the next one and a big bad ass Tundra out of Central Georgia. And this one is family and friends included so bring spouse, kids, grandkids, girlfriends, best friends, man's best friend, gold fish, whatever. Gonna be fun.
Sounds excellent, count me and the family in!

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I plan on watching the weather systems closely this winter in hopes to meet up with some friends in TN and do a snow run/camping at Wind Rock, let me know if any of you might be interested... this could be a great experience for future Antarctica trips.
I'll be watching the winter weather for that perfect day to go into NC for a run on Hurricane Creek and Max Patch. Or at least Cohutta, Charlie's Creek or even Duncan Ridge if Ga. 60 is passible.

Reactions: soarvet

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Is there like a listing of all of these trails somewhere? I've been trying to find places to go explore and find it pretty difficult to find stuff. I'm from Colorado where trails are everywhere in the Rocky's and you don't have to worry about private property as much. It a lot different in the south.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Is there like a listing of all of these trails somewhere? I've been trying to find places to go explore and find it pretty difficult to find stuff. I'm from Colorado where trails are everywhere in the Rocky's and you don't have to worry about private property as much. It a lot different in the south.
One of the best places is actually YouTube but the caveat is a video 3 years ago doesn't mean the trail hasn't changed or they could be closed down. There is far more public land in the West than here in the SE and what there is can be negatively impacted by poor use by off roaders themselves. The lessons of Telico Plains didn't sink in among the 4 wheel community as deep as it should have.

Even now Forest Service Roads are being closed out to keep the Bigfooters from tearing them up as they try to stroke their own mechanical egos. And not all abuse comes from off roaders as there is the locals who use the areas as a beer bash spot or worse still to dump trash.

Our trail options also decrease as tax dollars are diverted away from natural resources expenitures to pay for manpower and maintenance upkeep.

Until sportsman and outdoor folk can find a means to self pay and sustain cost management of these areas, our options across the country may only continue to decline.

Colorado and Utah have made trails a tourist draw and in that sense a money maker. How do we take that model and use it here in the SE? For one, make sure as you hit a local business to let them know what you are about. Also consider hitting a local grocery store at or near the trail to stock up as opposed to buying where you live. If you generate a local economic good and better yet they know you by name and face, you just created another ally who wants you on the trail as much as you do.

Sorry to soapbox a bit but your post hits on a topic of trail access and IMO we as a community need to discuss and brainstorm this topic.