Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Okay, as promised in the New England Camping trip thread, here is the thread to discuss getting a few monthly meet and greets going for North East folks. I say a few because the Northeast members are pretty spread out and the best chance of success is to set up 3 or 4 locally centralized meets that make it easier for folks to attend without having to travel far. What is a meet and greet? It's whatever you make it. Most of the time its meeting at a local bar, coffee shop or restaurant to sit down and chat about everything under the sun. Sometimes it's a Saturday picnic at a park to get the whole family out and meet other adventurous families. Sometimes everyone is busy and a month gets skipped. But at it's core it is a very casual way to meet other folks in the community, form friendships and build relationships with others who share the adventurous spirit of Overland Bound. What this does, is causes greater participation in the larger OB sponsored events because the barrier of not knowing folks is gone and you want to have fun with the friends you already have and the ones you know you will make.

There are two schools of thought on choosing a meetup spot. The first is to have the same spot every time as it makes it easy for folks to know where they will be and creates a consistency of folks gathering. In places that have fewer members who are spread out this can be limiting. That is where the second comes into play. A rotation of locations can be helpful in getting the most people possible involved, not everyone can attend every time but the folks on the fringes get a chance to attend sometimes.

I see a couple locations on the member map with a high density of members that would be good areas for a set location (not required but it would work well there). I also see a couple areas where a rotation would probably be required in order to keep the monthly meet going and ensure folks are able to attend at leas some of them.

The greater Boston area looks like a good spot for either a set location or a rotation.
Southern Maine and the NH Seacoast look like a good spot for a rotation.
South Central Mass and Central Conn. look like a good spot for a rotation
You Vermonters seem to be represented mostly in the Burlington area So an either or may work.
I know we have folks in southern VT but they aren't on the map. A rotation with Western Mass might work there.
RI and South East Mass may be able to get a rotation going.

*Note: Not everyone who uses the forum, or even members, are represented on the map. We want everyone involved so if you aren't on the map, get on the map, or if you don't want to be on the map post up where you are located so we can keep you folks in mind if we start planning these meetups.

I obviously can't attend all (or any until I move up there, for that matter) so it would be great for one or two folks, if interest is expressed to even start a meet up, to volunteer to help organize on a local level. I will point out that three locations may not necessarily be enough and I sort of left out New York and Pennsylvania but that is because I've never spent time in NY and only lived in KOP for school so my knowledge of those areas is very limited. That being said, I think starting small and getting some attendance is important before spreading out and spreading too thin to keep it going. A good core group splitting off to form others is, in my experience, a more successful route. When folks know each other already the are more inclined to keep something going and to spread the word.

I know it sounds like I am dreaming big here, and in a way I am, but this is just info from my experiences. Now for the part where you folks chime in and let me know what your thoughts are. Mainly, would you attend a monthly meet up on a fairly regular basis if it was located within a reasonable distance from you home?

I'm going to include a poll. Please use that poll so I can get tangible numbers. And feel free to post ideas, thoughts, concerns. This type of thing happens with participation. I can be the most organized person in the world but nothing happens without you folks.

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm not seeing much going on in here. That either means there isn't any interest or nobody has seen this thread. I'll be damned if I'm going to let this thread said that quickly [emoji16]

Would love to see more interest in monthly meetups. Is there anyone from any of the areas listed in the OP who would volunteer to be an organiser or at least a contact for that area? I would like to at least get some folks interested in working to make this happen so we can all start chatting and discussing ideas for how, where, when. It could take a while to get something going and that's OK. But we have to start somewhere.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Okay, as promised in the New England Camping trip thread, here is the thread to discuss getting a few monthly meet and greets going for North East folks. I say a few because the Northeast members are pretty spread out and the best chance of success is to set up 3 or 4 locally centralized meets that make it easier for folks to attend without having to travel far. What is a meet and greet? It's whatever you make it. Most of the time its meeting at a local bar, coffee shop or restaurant to sit down and chat about everything under the sun. Sometimes it's a Saturday picnic at a park to get the whole family out and meet other adventurous families. Sometimes everyone is busy and a month gets skipped. But at it's core it is a very casual way to meet other folks in the community, form friendships and build relationships with others who share the adventurous spirit of Overland Bound. What this does, is causes greater participation in the larger OB sponsored events because the barrier of not knowing folks is gone and you want to have fun with the friends you already have and the ones you know you will make.

There are two schools of thought on choosing a meetup spot. The first is to have the same spot every time as it makes it easy for folks to know where they will be and creates a consistency of folks gathering. In places that have fewer members who are spread out this can be limiting. That is where the second comes into play. A rotation of locations can be helpful in getting the most people possible involved, not everyone can attend every time but the folks on the fringes get a chance to attend sometimes.

I see a couple locations on the member map with a high density of members that would be good areas for a set location (not required but it would work well there). I also see a couple areas where a rotation would probably be required in order to keep the monthly meet going and ensure folks are able to attend at leas some of them.

The greater Boston area looks like a good spot for either a set location or a rotation.
Southern Maine and the NH Seacoast look like a good spot for a rotation.
South Central Mass and Central Conn. look like a good spot for a rotation
You Vermonters seem to be represented mostly in the Burlington area So an either or may work.
I know we have folks in southern VT but they aren't on the map. A rotation with Western Mass might work there.
RI and South East Mass may be able to get a rotation going.

*Note: Not everyone who uses the forum, or even members, are represented on the map. We want everyone involved so if you aren't on the map, get on the map, or if you don't want to be on the map post up where you are located so we can keep you folks in mind if we start planning these meetups.

I obviously can't attend all (or any until I move up there, for that matter) so it would be great for one or two folks, if interest is expressed to even start a meet up, to volunteer to help organize on a local level. I will point out that three locations may not necessarily be enough and I sort of left out New York and Pennsylvania but that is because I've never spent time in NY and only lived in KOP for school so my knowledge of those areas is very limited. That being said, I think starting small and getting some attendance is important before spreading out and spreading too thin to keep it going. A good core group splitting off to form others is, in my experience, a more successful route. When folks know each other already the are more inclined to keep something going and to spread the word.

I know it sounds like I am dreaming big here, and in a way I am, but this is just info from my experiences. Now for the part where you folks chime in and let me know what your thoughts are. Mainly, would you attend a monthly meet up on a fairly regular basis if it was located within a reasonable distance from you home?

I'm going to include a poll. Please use that poll so I can get tangible numbers. And feel free to post ideas, thoughts, concerns. This type of thing happens with participation. I can be the most organized person in the world but nothing happens without you folks.

Interested. I'm in PA. Will travel for adventure.

Reactions: Scott VanCleave

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Sorry.... just seeing this thread too, I find that I am still trying to figure out the best way to navigate around! My apologies. I am happy to help out in anyway, whatever is needed........ will stay in touch better on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: MA_Trooper

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm not seeing much going on in here. That either means there isn't any interest or nobody has seen this thread. I'll be damned if I'm going to let this thread said that quickly [emoji16]
Chalk me up as another person who totally missed this. Definitely interested.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've updated the poll to find out how many folks we have in the various regions mentioned. Please take a minute to check off where you are located. We wont be able to get all the meetups going all at the same time but I want to start getting them started soon. To that end, if you live in one of the regions and would like to volunteer to help get the meetup started for your region please PM me so we can chat about how to do that.

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

I live just over the New York/Vermont border in Cambridge NY. Southern Vermont has good potential for a place to meet. I actually am one of the hosts for a monthly automotive meet that meets the first Friday of the month from may-October. We gather at the Benningon Vermont Home Depot from 6:30pm-9:30pm. It is a more import tuner meet but we have had an off-road presence there as well. The meet is open to any and all automotive. Home Depot has been generous to let us use their parking lot for the last 5 years to have our meet there. Our Facebook page is "Bridging the Gap". I am certainly open to having this as a rotating location for a monthly meet.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

OK. We are close to having our first meetup for the Greater Boston area. Not all of you are on the map so, take a look at the map below. If you are located somewhere on that map you are within an hour of where we are having the first meetup. If you are interested, and you did not end up on the private message I started using the member map, let me know so I can add you to that. We will be discussing day/time of the meetups for that location in the coming days.

If you are not in the greater Boston area. Fear not. Your area will have a monthly meetup starting soon. If you would like to help out, even in a minimal way, let me know the area you are located in. I have no problems leading the meetups from afar but it is helpful to have at least one person who I can bounce ideas off of and can help me organize on the ground.

If you are not on the member map but are located in the area below let me know so I can add you to our private message thread about the Greater Boston Area Monthly Meetups.

upload_2017-2-22_13-12-59.png

Reactions: JUSTinCASE

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

A private discussion has been started for Southern Maine and the NH Seacoast / Central NH. If you live in that area and are not on the member map you weren't added to the discussion. If you want in on that let me know and I will add you.

Reactions: Amy&Joe

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

A private discussion has been started for Southern Maine and the NH Seacoast / Central NH. If you live in that area and are not on the member map you weren't added to the discussion. If you want in on that let me know and I will add you.
You can add me as well to the southern maine New Hampshire meet up. I live upstate New York but have family just north of Portland so I can make it a family visit after the meet.

tntc

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peabody
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1-TTC
Service Branch
Navy
Just seeing this as I was on school vacation in MA last week.
Please add me to the list as I would be interested in the meet up of greater Boston or S. NH
Thanks TCobb