Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey Northcountry,

Are very many of you guys active in here? Im thinking of coming up for a visit this spring… let’s get some trip ideas rolling.

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Adirondack Mountains? I'm only 8 hours from there. Just give me no less than 30 days advance "shout out" so I can put in a request for time off at work. After Memorial Day? I'll be starting semi-retirement (working per diem 30 hours or less), so I'll have a lot of flexibility (barring unexpected situations).

A729E3EC-9E91-4512-9CE1-B5DF352047A0.jpeg

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Perfect! To and from location travel days will the 28th and 31st. All day overland days will be 29th and 30th. Unless I read otherwise.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Perfect! To and from location travel days will the 28th and 31st. All day overland days will be 29th and 30th. Unless I read otherwise.
I’m thinking middle of March… I have to be in Oregon Memorial Day Weekend for another event.

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Last year here in PA vehicles were still stuck on forest roads on March...and this area in question is even Further north and Higher elevation.

Just a heads up. Some winters the snow does not stay...others it never leaves.
True. A few years ago, in the Catskills, the lower elevations were almost clear and dry at the towns. The higher elevations had plenty of snow and ice in April. We backpacked to “Table Mountain” at 3847 feet. Glad we had trees along the trail to help us stay upright along the steep rocks/boulders sections.

Photo of our basecamp a short hike from "Table Mountain" in April 2018 (I'm standing, Phil is sitting, and Rick took the photo):

201804 Table Mtn Catskills NY-11.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Having just got back from the Adirondacks and growing up in the Catskills I strongly recommend a stay in Moose River Plains.
From what I’ve seen it is a solid choice in any season (if you’re ok with camping in snow). It is a vast and scenic area in itself but also about 2-3 hours from Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid.
Since I’ve moved out of NY it seems like every road around the Catskills has been paved and anything that might be of interest has a gate or hefty admission fee.
From my understanding Moose River Plains is the only spot for dispersed camping. The site we stayed at was the starting point for some very interesting places to explore via 4WD and had plenty of space to fit as many rigs as you could want.

Do you have any specific places to explore? The only routes I know in NY would be the NEBDR which is scenic but not challenging and VERY far away from the Adirondacks.