North Carolina

• HTML tutorial

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

I'll be up in Banner Elk all next week. Planing on checking out the ghost town and seeing how the Upper Wilson Creek FS roads are after all the storms.
Ghost town? That may be just what I need to get my wife on board with a trip. Any other information I can check out on the ghost town in Banner Elk?

Also, I would be game for a meet up. I am brand new to overlanding and North Carolina.

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ghost town is in or just south of Mortimer. I've never been there so can't comment on how ghosty or towny it is. Still gonna check it out though. I think it was a cotton town that was flooded in the '40s and wasn't rebuilt.

Reactions: Junktj

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

If you're looking for info on Mortimer be sure to stop at Betsey's Ole Country Store at the corner of Brown Mtn Beach Rd and Hwy 90. Don't let "Highway" fool you as it's a gravel road like everything else in the immediate area.

There are a couple of old newspaper articles on the wall that talk about the flood which was the end of Mortimer. The remaining evidence of the town is about a half mile south on Brown Mtn Beach Rd on the left. There are some big concrete walls which were part of the mill if I recall correctly. I'm not familiar with the ghost town part but Who Ya Gonna Call?

Brown Mtn Beach Rd is the road that follows Wilson Creek and goes all the way down the gorge. I recommend driving to the end then turn around and come back up to Craig Creek Rd as it is a great cut-through to get into the Table Rock roads.

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
I'll be up in Banner Elk all next week. Planing on checking out the ghost town and seeing how the Upper Wilson Creek FS roads are after all the storms.
Hit me up when you are up this way. Looking to try out my new to me xj on the trails!

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Ghost town is in or just south of Mortimer. I've never been there so can't comment on how ghosty or towny it is. Still gonna check it out though. I think it was a cotton town that was flooded in the '40s and wasn't rebuilt.
Actually I think it was a logging town. Same flood that wiped out the small community I live in (foscoe).

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Speaking of brown mtn., there is also the brown mtn. ohv area at the bottom of the mountain. Only one trail that trucks are allowed on, and very mild. Fun in a stockish truck.

Reactions: Lost Texan

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

It worked. My wife is signed on and we are officially in planning mode to check out some NC ghost towns. We found the article below that lists some others we will likely check out in the near future but probably going to hit Motimer and try the run that justjames mentioned within the next couple of weekends.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/north-carolina/nc-ghost-towns/

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

I am in Greenville too. I just moved here from Texas in April. Where do y'all go for off road parts and accessories in the area like? I am looking for stuff like a hi-lift, recovery equipment, some waterproof storage containers for the bed of my truck, etc.

Thanks

Reactions: CUCVDRIVER

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
I am in Greenville too. I just moved here from Texas in April. Where do y'all go for off road parts and accessories in the area like? I am looking for stuff like a hi-lift, recovery equipment, some waterproof storage containers for the bed of my truck, etc.

Thanks
Southeast overland near Clemson is a good place to start.

Reactions: zach white

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

It worked. My wife is signed on and we are officially in planning mode to check out some NC ghost towns. We found the article below that lists some others we will likely check out in the near future but probably going to hit Motimer and try the run that justjames mentioned within the next couple of weekends.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/north-carolina/nc-ghost-towns/
I've posted some trips in the area and others have done so also. Check out the area, it's nice.

Sent from my E6810 using OB Talk mobile app

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville

Thanks
Certain things I would be ok with getting from harbor freight. They have some good stuff. Or tractor supply has some containers that are waterproof I believe. I’ve never been to place in Clemson but might have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FJBruiser