Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Uwharrie National Forest is a great place also. Plenty of camping either dispersed or in their campgrounds. Not quite the views of Pisgah, but Baden Lake is nice and there's a whole network of OHV trails you can have fun on (all different levels of challenge). It's a beautiful OLD forest.

Reactions: Pathkiller

Leeroycoverdell

Rank III

Contributor III

1102 Country Club Drive, Lexington, North Carolina 27292, United States
First Name
Leeroy
Last Name
Coverdell
Member #

what area are you from and what are you looking to do? The two most memorable places ive been are probably gorges state park/toxaway gamelands(really that whole area in general) and cape lookout. you cant have one of these threads without mentioning hurricane creek and max patch so ill do the honors. NC has a bit of everything to offer but depends what you are looking for.

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

I live in Maggie Valley. We have a ton of places That offer off road and camping . Cherokee National Forest has some great areas as well as pisgah national forest . Both have great trails with lots of hiking and dispersed camping opportunities. Also the area around Santeetlah Lake near Robbinsville has some nice lakeside free sites and great views and driving areas

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Uwharrie National Forest is a great place also. Plenty of camping either dispersed or in their campgrounds. Not quite the views of Pisgah, but Baden Lake is nice and there's a whole network of OHV trails you can have fun on (all different levels of challenge). It's a beautiful OLD forest.
Just need to be aware that Uwharrie OHV trails are closed during the winter.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm also looking to get to Pisgah NF soon. Are you able to drive up to these dispersed sites in this NF, or do you have to "hike in"?

Thanks!

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm also looking to get to Pisgah NF soon. Are you able to drive up to these dispersed sites in this NF, or do you have to "hike in"?

Thanks!
Pisgah National Forest allows dispersed camping anywhere other than is posted no camping.

Updated in the post below

Last edited:
Reactions: AJ Nealey

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I stand corrected regarding camping in Pisgah, please reference the notation about dispersed camping on page 2 of this forestry service pamphlet:
HERE

Reactions: Old Tanker

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

Most of the dispersed sights are closed. The gates are closed at courthouse creek but you can go to the park station not too far from there and ask what might be available. Beautiful area. Hopefully will be opened up by spring

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

Nantahala National Forest is over a half million acres collectively and has lots of trails and dispersed camping. Includes the area I mentioned before around Santeetlah Lake. Leave there toward Cheoah on 129. Beautiful white water for several miles and dispersed camping and hiking opportunities including the Slick Rock area. Below the dam...cross the River and immediately turn left on believe it or not ... “river road” duh. There’s 5 or 6 awesome free sites ON the river with fire pits and tables. (And a porta Jon that has been clean every time I have been there). If you continue on 128 it become the famous Dragon.

Reactions: Tony R and Pretzel

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

Nantahala National Forest is over a half million acres collectively and has lots of trails and dispersed camping. Includes the area I mentioned before around Santeetlah Lake. Leave there toward Cheoah on 129. Beautiful white water for several miles and dispersed camping and hiking opportunities including the Slick Rock area. Below the dam...cross the River and immediately turn left on believe it or not ... “river road” duh. There’s 5 or 6 awesome free sites ON the river with fire pits and tables. (And a porta Jon that has been clean every time I have been there). If you continue on128 it become the famous Dragon.

Reactions: NC-Trooper

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

@NCjeepcampingAP Linville Gorge Highway 105 is a great spot during the week to check out. Nice dirt road ride with stunning views and camp spots galore. During the weekend during peak season is going to be a bit crowded.

Uwharrie National Park is going to be less "overland" but still plenty of camping and offroading.

@Demo Man is dead on correct about Nantahala.

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

@NCjeepcampingAP Linville Gorge Highway 105 is a great spot during the week to check out. Nice dirt road ride with stunning views and camp spots galore. During the weekend during peak season is going to be a bit crowded.

Uwharrie National Park is going to be less "overland" but still plenty of camping and offroading.

@Demo Man is dead on correct about Nantahala.

Thanks ! There’s a TON of “BIA” (bureau of Indian Affairs) roads all over the Cherokee reservation if you like riding some none technical dirt for the solitde and scenery. Toward Cherokee from Soco gap on US 19 the first road to the right is Hyatt Cove Road. At the end turn left and that has several options for spending some dirt time with great views and elevation. If you turn on the first road to the right a mile or so in you will end up in Mile High Campground. Closed for rhe

Demo Man

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Reece
Member #

Thanks ! There’s a TON of “BIA” (bureau of Indian Affairs) roads all over the Cherokee reservation if you like riding some none technical dirt for the solitde and scenery. Toward Cherokee from Soco gap on US 19 the first road to the right is Hyatt Cove Road. At the end turn left and that has several options for spending some dirt time with great views and elevation. If you turn on the first road to the right a mile or so in you will end up in Mile High Campground. Closed for rhe
Sorry ... closed for the season but one of the best primitive campground in the country.

TrailBossTrauma

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

Looking at getting one last trip in before the end of the year. Can anyone advise on the Old House Gap vs Old 105, as to somewhat "scenic" camping spots? are there any passes needed etc? Excuse the ignorance, but have been historically used to needing a pass to camp anywhere.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

The biggest problem with Old 105 is it gets super crowded on the weekends. It may not be as bad right now but our last trip for the year a few weeks ago it was overly crowded. Between the Jeeps doing 40mph around blind corners and the Prius and Sienna van that couldn't really make it through some of the tougher spots I'd recommend heading elsewhere.