Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

South mountain state park is a pretty good one. Decent amount of space and TONS of hiking trails. I camped there with some friends a few weeks back

IMG_20191026_140602.jpg

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
Not too familiar with NC but is Uwharria considered Western? My sister is in that area and I'm looking at spending some time down there. I'll follow on with this thread to see what comes up.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Not too familiar with NC but is Uwharria considered Western? My sister is in that area and I'm looking at spending some time down there. I'll follow on with this thread to see what comes up.
I’d consider Uwharrie as central N.C. but it does have some good spots for camping.

OP are you looking for amenities or primitive camping? If the later, the National forests in the mountains (Pisgah and Nantahala) allow for some sort of primitive camping. Rules vary by ranger district so do your due diligence on that end before heading out. I know the Grandfather district is pretty much anything goes regarding primitive camping others are camping by permit and still others are camping at marked sights only. Each district has a ranger that you can email for clarification on the rules if you get confused.

northern nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Kearney
Member #

I’d consider Uwharrie as central N.C. but it does have some good spots for camping.

OP are you looking for amenities or primitive camping? If the later, the National forests in the mountains (Pisgah and Nantahala) allow for some sort of primitive camping. Rules vary by ranger district so do your due diligence on that end before heading out. I know the Grandfather district is pretty much anything goes regarding primitive camping others are camping by permit and still others are camping at marked sights only. Each district has a ranger that you can email for clarification on the rules if you get confused.

Looking for primitive camping. Thanks for the help.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
N Mills River has some primitive sites. Carolina Hemlocks rec area has some also! Old Highway 105 has some I believe

Contributor I

Zirconia, NC, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Rose
Check out Hurricane Creek trail for sure! Just returned home from an overnight trip. Made it through the whole trail no problem. Not sure what you drive but either way just pick good lines and you will be fine. Several nice spots along the trail this site was about halfway in
20191110_190718.jpg20191109_182248.jpg

Reactions: RickLB and gothnate