Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

Just curious, does anyone know any good adventure areas near Norfolk, VA? I'm stationed here, and haven't been able to find very much within a day's drive. I'm hoping to find some areas I can take the family to explore on an average weekend until I can take some leave and get back down in the Smoky Mountains or Ozark Mountains. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Reactions: TerryD and Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

We're 4 hours from the mountains on the western half of the state, and two hours from the sand of NC's Outer Banks.

Here are the legal trails. Some are just gravel roads, others actual romps through the trees and rocks.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1UhCBlG1iXpJ8nVZ8LOTb_uU40_Q&hl=en_US

As for sand, Carova Beach is free, but the rest of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreation Area, despite the specific name and being public property, requires a pass. https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm#ORV

Reactions: BillB

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm a little further inland but if you find time to get over this way, give me a shout. I'm sure we can get something worked out. I've got some great camping, hiking, and fishing local to me and I've been working on exploring my area better to find all the good little spots.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

@OP: TerryD ^^^ is putting together a wheeling trip at what is possibly the closest worthwhile trails to Norfolk. You just jump on I-64 for 3 hours and you're there. Search for the "Big Levels" trip. The next options are South for beach riding or either 5+ hours north or west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD