Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marina
Last Name
Midori
Member #

Hello everyone,

I'm newbie to this board and to overlanding. I joined Overland Bound to learn how to overland, skills to learn and gear needed for beginners.

I have done car camping at state and national parks in California. My favorite parks I've visited include Mammoth Lakes/Inyo National Forest, Lassen National Park, Bear River Reservoir, and Channel Islands National Park.

Next spring, I'm hoping to purchase an overlanding vehicle, such as a ford cargo (transit or e-series) or a Lexus GX 470--or a type 3 ambulance. I'm torn between a camping/off road vehicle (GX470) vs. an enclosed space (van/box truck for fire roads).

Thanks,

Marina

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Marina, welcome to the OB family.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Welcome Marina, from a SoCal transplant in Germany. You’ve come to the right place for Overlanding information. All of your choices are good, and it really depends on how and where you want to travel. Regardless of what you decide on next spring, your travel style and needs will evolve and you may find you’ll want to change up. Don’t put too much money on the table at first.

Be sure to check your region specific forum for events in your area.

Safe travels,

Rick

Reactions: marinasf

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Marina, Welcome to the campfire!

Since you've been car camping you probably know most of the needs stuff and it will just become picking the right gear for you. So much on the vehicle choice depends on how you like to camp and where you like to go. How far in the Outback do you want to go? Some places are only accessible by small vehicle, not a giant EarthRoamer though both can be 4x4. Upgrading and change can come as your outlook/desires change. Also consider how much time per year will you be out there? Some folks are fine in a ground tent, others must have a RTT, still others like the security of the vehicle walls, others hit up a hostel/motel at the end of every day.
My point is getting a good grip in what you want can save you coin in the future.

Reactions: marinasf

marinasf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marina
Last Name
Midori
Member #

Welcome Marina, from a SoCal transplant in Germany. You’ve come to the right place for Overlanding information. All of your choices are good, and it really depends on how and where you want to travel. Regardless of what you decide on next spring, your travel style and needs will evolve and you may find you’ll want to change up. Don’t put too much money on the table at first.

Safe travels,

Rick
I did purchase a few items already for hiking/car camping/future overlanding during the pandemic, lol:

* InReach Mini
* Midland walkie talkie pair
* 500w Jackery with 100w solar panel
* ICECO 12v/120v frig

The jackery & frig has worked out well on road trips.

Reactions: Bpjr07

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E

Safe travels,

Rick
I did purchase a few items already for hiking/car camping/future overlanding during the pandemic, lol:

* InReach Mini
* Midland walkie talkie pair
* 500w Jackery with 100w solar panel
* ICECO 12v/120v frig

The jackery & frig has worked out well on road trips.
Those sound like some good choices. I’ve read the Jackery is some good kit. I used to use a Goal Zero before a dual battery install. Nice to see there are some alternatives out there.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,

I'm newbie to this board and to overlanding. I joined Overland Bound to learn how to overland, skills to learn and gear needed for beginners.

I have done car camping at state and national parks in California. My favorite parks I've visited include Mammoth Lakes/Inyo National Forest, Lassen National Park, Bear River Reservoir, and Channel Islands National Park.

Next spring, I'm hoping to purchase an overlanding vehicle, such as a ford cargo (transit or e-series) or a Lexus GX 470--or a type 3 ambulance. I'm torn between a camping/off road vehicle (GX470) vs. an enclosed space (van/box truck for fire roads).

Thanks,

Marina
Welcome to Overland Bound Marina
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions.
For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Marina
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Marina
Hello Marina, welcome to Overland Bound.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Marina
Welcome to Overland Bound Marina, my vote would be the GX 470!

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Welcome to OB, Marina! We're glad to have you here. I've thought about building an ambulance once or twice, I like the idea! Enjoy!

marinasf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marina
Last Name
Midori
Member #

Thank you everyone.

I presently have a 2016 Toyota hatchback, which I bought new. I love my car, but I'm not comfortable taking off payment given the 17 inch wheels and small side walls. I think the roof only support 150 lbs, and the owner's manual does not advise pulling a trailer. Presently, I use my car for road/car camping trips/local hiking.

I live in a city and do not have a garage/covered parking/storage. Street parking= open to theft/break-ins.

I'd really like a second vehicle such as small camper van/cutaway that fits in parking space to take on occasional trips Able to go on fire roads unlike my car.

Renting a camper on Outdoorsy.com could be expensive each time. My budget: <$20k cash. >$20k finance.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Reactions: 9Mike2

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Marina
Welcome from the North Bay.

Vehicle choice is going to be mostly dependent on what you want to do, or don't plan on doing. Also living in the City complicates things a bit when it comes time to store your gear. Out of all the choices you've listed the Lexus might be the most versatile in that you can take it just about anywhere. Check out some videos of folks that use and sleep in their SUVs. Another option is to convert a smaller camper van. There's a photographer, Thomas Heaton, in England who converted a Mitsubishi Delica to take on fire roads and such to get out to some cool photo locations. Came out really nice.

marinasf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marina
Last Name
Midori
Member #

Welcome from the North Bay.

Vehicle choice is going to be mostly dependent on what you want to do, or don't plan on doing. Also living in the City complicates things a bit when it comes time to store your gear. Out of all the choices you've listed the Lexus might be the most versatile in that you can take it just about anywhere. Check out some videos of folks that use and sleep in their SUVs. Another option is to convert a smaller camper van. There's a photographer, Thomas Heaton, in England who converted a Mitsubishi Delica to take on fire roads and such to get out to some cool photo locations. Came out really nice.
Maybe an AWD Honda Element with an ecamper top

Reactions: Speric

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

Thank you everyone.

I presently have a 2016 Toyota hatchback, which I bought new. I love my car, but I'm not comfortable taking off payment given the 17 inch wheels and small side walls. I think the roof only support 150 lbs, and the owner's manual does not advise pulling a trailer. Presently, I use my car for road/car camping trips/local hiking.

I live in a city and do not have a garage/covered parking/storage. Street parking= open to theft/break-ins.

I'd really like a second vehicle such as small camper van/cutaway that fits in parking space to take on occasional trips Able to go on fire roads unlike my car.

Renting a camper on Outdoorsy.com could be expensive each time. My budget: <$20k cash. >$20k finance.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Keep an eye on rv trader, and craigslist... i found my grand caravan camper, if you find something interesting thats cheap enough to try out anc maybe resale without loosing much.

Would start with the smallest invesment and work up. Seen people using the small city vans for campgrounds and fireroads, they get good milage and Fit a full bed with all their gear under and costs under 10k

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Keep an eye on rv trader, and craigslist... i found my grand caravan camper, if you find something interesting thats cheap enough to try out anc maybe resale without loosing much.

Would start with the smallest invesment and work up. Seen people using the small city vans for campgrounds and fireroads, they get good milage and Fit a full bed with all their gear under and costs under 10k
Curious to see more pics of your GC camper. wifey and I also have a GC but I've never seen a camper on one.

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

Curious to see more pics of your GC camper. wifey and I also have a GC but I've never seen a camper on one.
Posted a few pics on my introduction thread on this forum. Will get more up soon.