Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey y'all my names Dalton, I'm from the lost coast in homboltd county, Northern Cali. Member number is #4280. I'm pretty new to the overlanding business but looking to learn all the tips and tricks there are. I drive a 4th gen Toyota 4Runner, her name is Gretta. I'm slowly getting her outfitted and would love any ideas or recommendations from yalls experience!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Welcome to the forum, Dalton! My advice, spend more on gas then modifications for awhile anyways. As you learn and gain experience, you'll figure out what you really need and what you just want. Having said that, get yourself a set of traction boards, whatever ones you can afford. And you're at the right place to meet others. We were all new once, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Reactions: BobG and Dally

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Hey y'all my names Dalton, I'm from the lost coast in homboltd county, Northern Cali. Member number is #4280. I'm pretty new to the overlanding business but looking to learn all the tips and tricks there are. I drive a 4th gen Toyota 4Runner, her name is Gretta. I'm slowly getting her outfitted and would love any ideas or recommendations from yalls experience!
Are you in NorCal or North Dakota?

Dally

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello from another Nor Cal 4th gen! Here's the link to my mods from the past 7 years... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/116403-casper421s-build-picture-thread.html

Feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Your 4Runner is pretty kickass! It's good to know so many people use the same vehicles basically, it makes it a lot easier to get help and ideas and see what people have done. I actually do have a few questions for you. Where did should I start with modifications to the 4Runner? Currently I have a 3" lift front and a 2.75" in the back. Replaced the coils and shocks. 30" all terrain tires (came with it when purchased). Removed the running boards for alittle extra side clearance. And I've got a rough country light bar that I havnt mounted yet cause I want to mount it to the roof rack that I don't have haha (light bar was a gift). I was thinking of starting with a new front bumper w/ spot for a winch and a rear bumper w/ swing outs for gas cans and my spare tire. I also was going to pick up a roof rack for mounting my lights and possibly one of those roof top tents. Any advice? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Where at in Nor Cal? I'm from Humboltd county.

Dally

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome to the forum, Dalton! My advice, spend more on gas then modifications for awhile anyways. As you learn and gain experience, you'll figure out what you really need and what you just want. Having said that, get yourself a set of traction boards, whatever ones you can afford. And you're at the right place to meet others. We were all new once, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
I appreciate the advice man! I love hearing and learning from people that have been doing this for longer, it really puts necessary items or items I just want into perspective.

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

Casper421

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Greene
Member #

Your 4Runner is pretty kickass! It's good to know so many people use the same vehicles basically, it makes it a lot easier to get help and ideas and see what people have done. I actually do have a few questions for you. Where did should I start with modifications to the 4Runner? Currently I have a 3" lift front and a 2.75" in the back. Replaced the coils and shocks. 30" all terrain tires (came with it when purchased). Removed the running boards for alittle extra side clearance. And I've got a rough country light bar that I havnt mounted yet cause I want to mount it to the roof rack that I don't have haha (light bar was a gift). I was thinking of starting with a new front bumper w/ spot for a winch and a rear bumper w/ swing outs for gas cans and my spare tire. I also was going to pick up a roof rack for mounting my lights and possibly one of those roof top tents. Any advice? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Where at in Nor Cal? I'm from Humboltd county.

First off, like others have said, take it out for a test run. See what works and what doesn't and then move from there.

What kind of lift do you have, especially in the rear? You will eventually be carrying a lot of weight in the back and need coils that can handle it. Bumpers and a winch will add a good deal of weight as well.

If you want to go with a RTT, I would recommend getting a flat roof rack from either Gobi, baja rack or Prinsu. I have the baja rack flat utility rack and love it. Haven't mounted the RTT up there due to weather but I have the awning mounted and a 42" curved led bar. Planning to mount some flood lights on the rack.

There are some good options for a front bumper but less for a rear swing out. Some options for front are ARB, Damello, CBI and relentless fab. You should have some 2.5" coilovers to handle the added weight in the front. I've been talking to 4x4labs in Grass Valley about a rear dual swing out with a few custom touches. Other rear bumper options are CBI and Relentless Fab in Reno. Here's a link to armor option for the 4th gen, http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/125636-4th-gen-armor-thread.html.

I'm in Truckee.

Reactions: Dally

Dally

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
First off, like others have said, take it out for a test run. See what works and what doesn't and then move from there.

What kind of lift do you have, especially in the rear? You will eventually be carrying a lot of weight in the back and need coils that can handle it. Bumpers and a winch will add a good deal of weight as well.

If you want to go with a RTT, I would recommend getting a flat roof rack from either Gobi, baja rack or Prinsu. I have the baja rack flat utility rack and love it. Haven't mounted the RTT up there due to weather but I have the awning mounted and a 42" curved led bar. Planning to mount some flood lights on the rack.

There are some good options for a front bumper but less for a rear swing out. Some options for front are ARB, Damello, CBI and relentless fab. You should have some 2.5" coilovers to handle the added weight in the front. I've been talking to 4x4labs in Grass Valley about a rear dual swing out with a few custom touches. Other rear bumper options are CBI and Relentless Fab in Reno. Here's a link to armor option for the 4th gen, http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/125636-4th-gen-armor-thread.html.

I'm in Truckee.
Hey that was super helpful! Ill check all that out right now. Thinking ill start off with the rack since I have lights just waiting to be mounted. As for the front bumper I've really been looking at the ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. For the winch, any good brands or specific ones that really get the job done? As for what kind of lift, it's a tuff country lift kit. Link below.
.https://www.suspensionconnection.com/52000-4runner-lift-kit.html

Casper421

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Greene
Member #

Hey that was super helpful! Ill check all that out right now. Thinking ill start off with the rack since I have lights just waiting to be mounted. As for the front bumper I've really been looking at the ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. For the winch, any good brands or specific ones that really get the job done? As for what kind of lift, it's a tuff country lift kit. Link below.
.https://www.suspensionconnection.com/52000-4runner-lift-kit.html
I feel like the winch is a piece of equipment you don't want to cheap out on, so Warn is the way to go.

The spacer lift is fine but isn't made to support added weight. You will experience the suspension sagging with adding bumpers, rack and a RTT. New coilovers and rear springs with compensate for the added weight.

Dally

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Ram
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I feel like the winch is a piece of equipment you don't want to cheap out on, so Warn is the way to go.

The spacer lift is fine but isn't made to support added weight. You will experience the suspension sagging with adding bumpers, rack and a RTT. New coilovers and rear springs with compensate for the added weight.

Yeah I've looked around and so far Warn seemed like the best. Do you think getting the coil-overs and rear springs should be done now or wait till I get some armor and see what exactly ill need?

Casper421

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Greene
Member #

Yeah I've looked around and so far Warn seemed like the best. Do you think getting the coil-overs and rear springs should be done now or wait till I get some armor and see what exactly ill need?
I will personally upgrade the suspension before adding bumpers. I've already upgraded the rear to ICON overland coils and 2.0 shocks for a 4x4labs bumper in the future. I will upgrade to ICON 2.5" extended travel RR coilovers for the front before adding a bumper and winch.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Welcome,