Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Been browsing the run section and I keep seeing GPX and KML files and talk about these. I was wondering if somebody might point me in a direction that would explain this to me? Looking to possibly set up an iPAD to use as an offroad GPS navigator. Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been posted elsewhere in the forums.

Darryl

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just read the threads about Gaia GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Garmin etc. GPX and KML are universal file formats that allow you to import and export tracks and waypoints. You can google those terms and read basic articles.

While this is specific to Gaia GPS. The video should give you a pretty good introduction on how these apps work.
You can download maps for offline use (no cell connection)
You can record tracks and waypoints
You can import and export tracks

Plenty of threads in this area on which is the "best app" read those and you will get a feel for yourself.

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That was so cool. I just downloaded Gaia maps and did the upgraded version for $19.99 a year. I don't see myself going to Europe in the next couple of years, so I should be good. After watching the video it looks like I might start using this more than my Garmin 62s. That was $300 foolishly spent :( now that I have this app on my $700 iPhone. haha