Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

I have this week off and have decided upon Death Valley as my explore spot. Any links or support on what I should do or where I should go would be great! My main goal is to wake up in the desert and catch a sunrise.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I have this week off and have decided upon Death Valley as my explore spot. Any links or support on what I should do or where I should go would be great! My main goal is to wake up in the desert and catch a sunrise.
Hi Jeremy, I saw your reply on the other thread but we can use this to coordinate.
Me, @JCarter and @Cujo7989 will ran the Mojave Road first (east to west) and then Death Valley. Are you interested in doing both or Death Valley only?

King

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

Hi Jeremy, I saw your reply on the other thread but we can use this to coordinate.
Me, @JCarter and @Cujo7989 will ran the Mojave Road first (east to west) and then Death Valley. Are you interested in doing both or Death Valley only?
I am coming from the Bay Area so going a bit further East may be out of the way for me.

I could be open to any idea though. I don’t have an itinerary yet but I do know I will need to get near a WiFi source by Sunday for a day so I can do some work.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll be out there the 27th-29th.

I'll be going in through Trona. Work up to Beatty then across to race track and out (I hope).

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Single vehicle? The truck in your avatar? 4x4?
According to gooooooooooooglemaps it's about the same if you go 80, 395 or 5, 58, 14, 395. Weather can make the choice.
You want to camp or be a tourist? Both? Been looking at googleEarth and youtube videos? Panamint Valley has old mines and a crater and Ballarat ghost town. Golar wash to The Barker Ranch where Manson was caught is popular on the way to Butte Valley, Plenty of cabins and camp sites in Butte Valley. Then East to DV proper and Badwater if you've never been, otherwise take Westside road and check out some of the roads up the east side of the Panamints some have cabins to stay at. Just remember along that part is where the lost pioneers in 1849 stayed along Westside road and walked out over the Panamints to Los Angeles. Somewhere on a ridge overlooking Butte, Panamint Valley's they turned for one last look and someone said "Goodbye, Death Valley" No one could remember who, but that was how it was named. The whole story is fascinating, the book is; Death Valley in '49 by Manly.

Mengels Pass could be tough in your truck, youtube it.

rracterr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
benjamin
Last Name
knauss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ISS
Hey, nobody is going to Death Valley without me...

let me know the final plan.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I am coming from the Bay Area so going a bit further East may be out of the way for me.

I could be open to any idea though. I don’t have an itinerary yet but I do know I will need to get near a WiFi source by Sunday for a day so I can do some work.
We'll be in DV 25-26 and partially on the 27. Feel free to message me if you want to meet!

King

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

Hello all!

It’s been a hectic week and I still have to finalize my plans but I got those dates off of work so my trip is a go.

I plan on being in Death Valley some time on Wednesday as I am going to take a detour to Lake Tahoe to check out the snow.

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Stop by Alabama Hills, tons of camping spot.

This was my note last time I was there...

GOOGLE MAP

Google Maps

GAIA -

GaiaGPS - DEATH VALLEY MY ROUTE

Friday - Alabama Hills - Camping for the night here

COORDINATES- 36.604152, -118.113515

Saturday - 9AM - Gas up at Alabama Hills area if needed but next gas station will be at Panamint Springs

Depending what time we get out of the camp and we decide of where we drive next.

Panamint Springs- 11AM

Gas up (2 hours from Alabama Hills)

Stove Pipe Wells 11: 45AM -

if its open - usually closed when it’s windy. (30 mins)

Titus Canyon 1PM

This is only if we get out of the camp super early but this is a must GO TO. (40 Mins)

(Racetrack - We will skip this place because its going to be wet)

Eureka Dunes - 4PM (3 hours)

Saturday - Eureka Dunes - Camping for the night here.

Sun - Check out Euereka Dunes and Go home

Reactions: King