Launch Member

Member I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Goyette
Member #

So my wife bought a 2019 non kdss 4Runner it’s a sr5? Well I figured she liked it because it sits high (she is short) and the 4wd would be good for going to the mountains in winter. We did zero research before the purchase she pretty much impulse bought it. We went on our first overland camping trip and had a great time. Now she is talking lift kit skid plates ect ect is it worth building be non kdss no crawl control ect

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Coming from the owner of an ORP with KDSS: the KDSS helps steady the ride on curvy roads and exit ramps, but is a mixed blessing, limits your suspension upgrades, reduces your options for skid plates, rock sliders and the like, and is an expensive repair if things go wrong. The crawl control can be useful but is regarded by many as a gimmick. The main thing you lack is a locking rear differential. You have a very capable vehicle, and saved some cash to throw into more targeted upgrades down the line.

Reactions: 12Seven95

dride

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Issaquah, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Daniel
I have a sr5 as well.. wish I went trail premium for sun roof and locker, but a-trac hasn’t let me down yet On moderate trails. lifted w 33”