jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
Has anyone installed a nomadic 270 awning on a pioneer platform? looking for advice on the installation. see pic below. using t-nuts and the supplied hardware only allows for connection to the outermost rail. it is solid but applying a twisting force on it, especially at full deployment, causing the inboard part of the bracket to lift slightly.

Wondering if someone has installed and what was their solution. options i have thought of so far:

1. drill through the next plank. Con - would rather not
2. ubolt around the cross member. Con - supplied u bolt wont fit around thicker cross member. also outer brackets don't align with cross member. moving the back one forward would leave more of the rear cantilevered where the weight is, not ideal. moving the forward one forward to catch the cross member would remove one bolt as it would fall on the slot for access. - could maybe locate a square profile u bolt or bolts and plates.
3. some sort of "L" bolt or plate system and bolts to "clamp" it to the plank.

what were your solutions? thanks!

awning install.JPG

Reactions: LumixLab

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
Well. I was impatient leaving it that way so i solved my own problem. would still like to hear other solutions. here is what i did for anyone else looking for a solution:

1. found a zinc repair strap at the hardware store that was relatively thick and rigid. bonus - already had holes and they were exactly 1.75" same as the bracket. slightly offset but no drilling required.
2. Cut to fit with an angle grinder.
3. used 1/4 20 hardware all stainless steel with lock washers and nylock nuts.
4. re aligned each bracket so it was centered over each cross bar. this resulted in more cantilever to the rear, and only one main bolt at the front. - trade off....
5. used hardware to strap down. where the supports are it couldn't be as far inboard as i would have liked like the center bracket.
6 SOLID NOW!!!

IMG_6559.jpgIMG_6560.jpgIMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6564.jpgIMG_6563.jpg

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Sure . Just one thing their bolts something not right sometimes, so clean threads before put one on. I think thier u-bolts fresh made and didn't go thru thread cleaning process

namunyoska

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Washington D.C., DC, USA
First Name
Numan
Last Name
A
Member #

Has anyone installed a nomadic 270 awning on a pioneer platform? looking for advice on the installation. see pic below. using t-nuts and the supplied hardware only allows for connection to the outermost rail. it is solid but applying a twisting force on it, especially at full deployment, causing the inboard part of the bracket to lift slightly.

Wondering if someone has installed and what was their solution. options i have thought of so far:

1. drill through the next plank. Con - would rather not
2. ubolt around the cross member. Con - supplied u bolt wont fit around thicker cross member. also outer brackets don't align with cross member. moving the back one forward would leave more of the rear cantilevered where the weight is, not ideal. moving the forward one forward to catch the cross member would remove one bolt as it would fall on the slot for access. - could maybe locate a square profile u bolt or bolts and plates.
3. some sort of "L" bolt or plate system and bolts to "clamp" it to the plank.

what were your solutions? thanks!

View attachment 165745
Thanks for starting this thread as I'm having the same issue. What size channel strut nuts did you use to fit inside the rack's channel? I can't seem to source ones that will fit the 25mm M8 bolts OVS provided... Thanks!

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
Thanks for starting this thread as I'm having the same issue. What size channel strut nuts did you use to fit inside the rack's channel? I can't seem to source ones that will fit the 25mm M8 bolts OVS provided... Thanks!
I found M8 stut nuts that fit the hardware provided on amazon. I'm still using the bolts and straps but I'm looking for square u bolts to eliminate that. So far nothing on mcmastercarr.

X-DREE 10pcs M8 x 6mm Plastic Cover No Spring Plain Channel Nuts for Unistrut Channels (5d3a08bf-a222-11e9-8d7c-4cedfbbbda4e)

by X-Dr
Learn more:

namunyoska

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Washington D.C., DC, USA
First Name
Numan
Last Name
A
Member #

I found M8 stut nuts that fit the hardware provided on amazon. I'm still using the bolts and straps but I'm looking for square u bolts to eliminate that. So far nothing on mcmastercarr.

X-DREE 10pcs M8 x 6mm Plastic Cover No Spring Plain Channel Nuts for Unistrut Channels (5d3a08bf-a222-11e9-8d7c-4cedfbbbda4e)

by X-Dr
Learn more:
did you post an amazon link? seems to be broken and won't show on the thread. Would really appreciate if you could DM me or paste the link! Thanks again

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Those brackets look far stronger than the brackets that came with my, fairly old, Oztent Foxwing Awning. They are plastic and only hook into the outermost rail.
The solution to your problem may be the way I've attached my gas bottle holder, by using aluminium bars to connect to 2 rails on the roof rack and then bolt the brackets through the bar and into nuts on the outermost rail and then just to the bar in the gap. I found that the bracket/bar bolts could not be close to the inner rack rail so you may have to use a more inner hole on your bracket as well.
Brackets.jpg

Contributor III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Those brackets look far stronger than the brackets that came with my, fairly old, Oztent Foxwing Awning. They are plastic and only hook into the outermost rail.
The solution to your problem may be the way I've attached my gas bottle holder, by using aluminium bars to connect to 2 rails on the roof rack and then bolt the brackets through the bar and into nuts on the outermost rail and then just to the bar in the gap. I found that the bracket/bar bolts could not be close to the inner rack rail so you may have to use a more inner hole on your bracket as well.
View attachment 217765
While it won't work for many awnings that need to be spaced away from the rack/vehicle, these SHOULD work to replace that plastics crap, while being a bit stronger.

Multi Brackets — Gamiviti

Do you mind sharing what gas bottle holder that is?

Last edited:

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
While it won't work for many awnings that need to be spaced away from the rack/vehicle, these SHOULD work to replace that plastics crap, while being a bit stronger.

Multi Brackets — Gamiviti

Do you mind sharing what gas bottle holder that is?
I can, but it probably won't help you that much as I am in Australia (well kinda close anyway)

FYI 2kg is roughly 5lb but bottles vary in shape anyway. My bottle is ever so slightly larger than the max diameter they mention. Also available in ordinary steel.

It was expensive but I needed a "proper" one because that way I can leave it on the vehicle when shipping it on the ferry, which in turn meant that I could drive through the state of Victoria without setting foot on the ground, so wasn't subject to Covid-19 restrictions.

Reactions: SlickRickMotoADV

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
View attachment 217765
This is how i attach my maxtrax with aluminum strap. ive cume upon a simpler solution to the mounting. i will post now with pictures.

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
I have stumbled upon a much simpler more elegant solution. I cannot believe it escaped me till now!

the first gap used a reversed t bolt and nylock nut through the rail and plastic stand off/separator.

I drilled it out to accept an M6 stainless bolt with washers, and bought one long enough to go through the awning bracket and everything.

take a look below:

IMG_0053.JPEGIMG_0054.JPEGIMG_0055.JPEGIMG_0056.JPEG