Rank II

Contributor II

Jystrup Midtsj, Region Zealand, Denmark
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Laurents
Member #

I recently installed a Frontrunner Slimline II full size roof rack on my Jeep Wrangler..... The size leaves no room for a windshield in the front, but I experience a lot of noise from the rack, when driving which is quite unpleasant :-) Has anyone got same issues, and even etter - solutions to how I can reduce the noise ?
The sound is not a "howling" or "whistling", but more like a drill (BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) :-)

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
i used paracord on the front edge of our rack. It helped with the wind noise and is a bit of line if needed in a pinch

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have a rhino rack on our JKU with a roof top tent and awning, we spent a lot of time seeking noise issues, found out that the air splitting over and under the rack was creating turbulence between the rack and the hardtop. sounded like someone drumming on the roof while driving. We found that a section of foam pipe insulation compressed nicely between the roof and rack right behind the front edge removed all the noise. (eventually I crafted a wind block/spoiler to go between the roof rack and the tent, and was able to remove the pipe insulation, just had to stop one of the pathways to prevent the turbulence.) We also added Hothead headliners to the inside of the roof which greatly reduced interior noise from both wind and vibration, in addition to keeping the heat way down on hot days.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Are you able to adjust the placement, front to back? Mine used to rumble a bit, I slid it back less than an inch and the rumble went away. If not, a small airdamn bolted up top would be my starting point. An inch high may be just enough. As a last resort ( ) call Frontrunner up. I’ve dealt with them and they have always offered sound advice and never attempted to upsell me.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
^^^^^^This^^^^^
In the shop, I would have to adjust the rack slats back on customers racks. As time went on, the manufactures stated lowering them and moving them back. The issue is the air catching an edge. This will either whistle or vibrate.

My rack has a deflector on the front. If you have a deflector, the air can catch one of the slats. Experiment with rack position and slat position. Pulling whole sections of slats can narrow down which area is causing it.

My rack is about six inch's back from the top of the windshield.

Reactions: DanishJeeper

AndrewFRO

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Agoura Hills, CA, USA
First Name
aaaa
Last Name
aaaa
Hey @DanishJeeper. Do you have the wind-deflector installed? It is comprised of two small winged pieces of metal that sit under the front crossbar of the rack and prevent wind from vibrating the slats which is typically the cause of the "BRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound :grinning:

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I use black wire. Wrap in around the front cross beam in a spiral pattern. I just used black zip ties to secure it on each end. 60,000 miles of silence on the truck so far. And many more on others I've had. Simple and effective. I forget the technical term for it, but it stops the air buffering around and after the leading edge. I've only used it on square and round tubing racks.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
you could get plexiglass sheets and cut it into strips and mount it to the rack to deflect the airflow. ?‍
Yes. That's the reason some companies put deflectors in front of them. The noise is caused from the air moving across an edge. This can also happen with things mounted on sides.
When I was dealing with this in the shop, sometimes all it took was moving a slat forward or back a few inch's.