Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey, NoCo Overlanders!

My name is Aleem and my wife, Danielle, and I have been members of Overland Bound since March of 2020. For our first overlanding season we spent most of our time with a group of members located mostly in the southern part of Colorado, even though we actually live in Fort Collins. I understand there are a fair number of OB members in NoCo who might be interested in meeting up to organize trips, so I decided to start a thread to make it easier to make plans and become familiar with each other's skill levels.

I currently drive a 2020 Tacoma which is mostly stock (sliders, full skids, 265/75/r16 bfg ko2, RSI Smartcap) with suspension lift and more armor planned (hopefully coming soon). I'm still getting more comfortable with rock crawling, but am relatively comfortable on most trails 5-6/10 difficulty rating.

I look forward to meeting y'all hopefully in the near future. Please share more about yourselves so we can get to know eachother better before we meet up in person.

Cheers.

CD.

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hey NoCo folks! My name is CD, 31, and I live in Fort Collins up by Horsetooth Resevoir. I grew up in Wisconsin, but many summers came out to the Rockies with my folks and grandparents for a few weeks to explore different national parks, mainly Yellowstone, Glacier and Rocky Mountain. I think those trips are what planted the seed for my love of the outdoors. I didn’t really know that overlanding was a thing, or even possible until I moved to Fort Collins the summer of 2012. That’s when I learned about the amazing freedoms that one can enjoy in national forest. Really just started exploring forest roads in Red Feather and off the Poudre Canyon with my lady Jaz, driving my Suburu Forester and tent camping. But quickly felt the desire to see more, and stay out longer. So ended up upsizing to a F-150 with Decked storage system and Snugtop cap and steel skid plates. This worked great for the 15 ish nights a year that we got out... as long as we had good weather. But after a couple years and two different two week trips, one through Oregon and California and the second with a good chunk in the San Juan mountains. I started feeling limited in a stock, full size rig in tight terrain. Our focus in exploring was always pretty leisurely, really just sticking to wide forest roads, with the occasional tight rocky offshoot to a campsite. But the more built Toyotas and Jeeps I saw, the more I started to wonder what I missing out on. Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore and started looking at Tacoma’s, and my desire only got stronger after seeing my good friends 2nd gen Taco w/ GFC. It was more comfortable than our f150 and more cabable. So I convinced a salesmen at the dealership to let me borrow a Tacoma over 4th of July weekend, and instantly fell in love when I brought it on old flowers road... for the first time on a trail I could pick a line, get passed oncoming traffic without backing up, and wasn’t dragging my belly over whoops. Had a little too much fun and ended up returning the truck with a flat tire :). So I started planning my build, using forums and IG for inspiration. Had my truck all planned, and got a quote from Bullhide 4x4 to do the build. Ironically the day I was gonna put the down payment on a quicksand Trd offroad, I saw a listing on Expediiton Portal with my dream truck for sale in Kennewick WA. It saved me a handful of cash and at least a month of shop time, and allowed me to sell my f150 to help fund it. So I got on a plane to Washington Sep 25 2018, and I like to think that was the first day of the rest of my life :). When I returned home I quickly outfitted the Taco with a Fourwheel camper I found on Craigslist, and that’s really when Sandy was born. Since then it’s been my goal to get out 36 nights a year (10%), and I have stuck to it! My lady Jaz and our two dogs also love getting out, and are with me on 90% of the adventures. We have done most of our exploring solo in one vehicle, and have taken more of a touring approach to overlanding rather than hardcore rock crawling. With the weight of the camper I have limited the performance of the Taco a bit, but was very happy with the balance between comfort and performance that was struck. If you have seen a Sand Taco and matching camper around town that’s me! Now after my very long winded description I’ll end it by saying the pursuit for the perfect vehicle isn’t over, but I have realized it maybe doesn’t exist. So I’m building another Taco, and will have two different purpose built rigs, a more comfortable flatbed Taco tourer, and then a more capable slightly lighter rig (by overlanding standards haha) to tackle tougher terrain with more confidence. Looking forward to going out with more vehicles and pushing my skills a bit more with the added confidence of having some trail buddies to assist in a recovery. Lol and now that you know my life story, looking forward to getting out there with you all! Also, so much of this was rig focused... but I want to stress that the while the rigs are fun, it’s really all about the freedom and adventure that they help provide. My IG is @cd_in_3d , would be great if folks shared that too. Wow I really got a roll there ! CB1E22D1-A838-4BA8-9D9D-E9AF7E12EE4C.jpeg

Last edited:

CD.

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hey, NoCo Overlanders!

My name is Aleem and my wife, Danielle, and I have been members of Overland Bound since March of 2020. For our first overlanding season we spent most of our time with a group of members located mostly in the southern part of Colorado, even though we actually live in Fort Collins. I understand there are a fair number of OB members in NoCo who might be interested in meeting up to organize trips, so I decided to start a thread to make it easier to make plans and become familiar with each other's skill levels.

I currently drive a 2020 Tacoma which is mostly stock (sliders, full skids, 265/75/r16 bfg ko2, RSI Smartcap) with suspension lift and more armor planned (hopefully coming soon). I'm still getting more comfortable with rock crawling, but am relatively comfortable on most trails 5-6/10 difficulty rating.

I look forward to meeting y'all hopefully in the near future. Please share more about yourselves so we can get to know eachother better before we meet up in person.

Cheers.
Will be good to get out! And stoked to see a Smart Cap in person. I can’t decide between a Smartcap and rtt or AT Habitat for my new setup. You loving the RSI?

Reactions: Rocky Mountain High

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey, NoCo Overlanders!

Cheers.
Will be good to get out! And stoked to see a Smart Cap in person. I can’t decide between a Smartcap and rtt or AT Habitat for my new setup. You loving the RSI?
I'll let you know Im getting it delivered on Thursday a couple ob guys are going to be helping me install it on Saturday. If you are free you're more than welcome to join us. Pm me and I'll send you details.

Reactions: CD.

anthonymfrazier

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Frazier
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Howzit OB? My name is anthony people call me ant... I live in Wellington and I just got into the overland world and I’m slowly turning my 17 taco into my dream rig... I’ve been camping all over Colorado for the last 22years and now I have a truck to take me to the places I couldn’t go before... I have some experience off roading but not much in my current truck... my Tacoma has stock suspension and tires and no armor but like is said I’m slowly building it as funds become available... my wife and I love to camp and be outdoors We have a 6year old that loves to get the truck dirty with me and a 2year old that loves to tag along... we currently traditionally tent camp but eventually I’ll have a pull behind(leaning towards the opus line) I have a little experience in recovery and will be buying a front end with winch most likely this spring and more than likely on board air at the same time... I work overseas for 90 days at a time so I’m not the most reliable for making every ride but I will make as many as work allows hahaha I will be home between mid April and the end of June so that pretty much my only window this summer unfortunately... I’m also very very interested in getting my ham license so if anyone has the patience to teach me I make really good camp food for trade... my IG is tacobuild_reality gimmie a follow and I’ll follow back! Hope to connect with everyone soon
-Ant
OB 22550

Attachments

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

My name is Paul. Just joined, but have been into Overlanding, for some time. I live in Murphys, CA. I spend most of my time in my Gladiator with my wife and dog exploring backroads in the Sierras. I am open to learning new places exploring other states and sharing adventures with new friends.

20200612_132246.jpg

4runnerOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Englewood, Colorado 80112, United States
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Forcatto
Member #

Hey everyone!

My name is Nico. I live in Centennial (South Denver) but I am in Fort Collins a lot because that’s where my family is. I currently am driving a super stock 4th gen 4Runner, but I’m looking to do some upgrades when I get my stimulus check (3in Total Chaos lift, 33x12.5r17, and some KMC or Method Racing wheels). Once I get some modifications finished I am totally down to do some trips! I really want to explore Grand Mesa and tons of places south of I-70. A trip to do Engineers, Imogene, and Black Bear pass is the hope by the end of summer. I look forward to meeting up with you guys and doing some fun off-roading trips! Let’s all get together some time!!

Attachments

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

To whom it may concern,

I'm Mike and I also was born and raised in Wisconsin. Family trips out West made me say, "one day, I want to live in Colorado." I went WI -> CO (4yrs) -> WI (2yrs) -> ID (1yr) -> CO (building a house so hopefully permanently). I'm currently living in my sisters basement in Greeley until my house is done up in Severance. The closing date is February 26 so it's getting close! I've got an '18 Outback (I feel like CD is my twin... WI, CO, Subaru... hah) that is 2" spacer lifted and I installed some nice Geolandar G015s. I'm not interested in rock crawling and so far I haven't thrown anything at the Outback that I wasn't able to do. I have had to pick a new line in ID but I made it where I wanted to go. As you may be able to tell from my name, the Outback is not my dream vehicle. I've been waiting for the 6th gen 4Runner for a few years now. Camping, hiking, backpacking, winter sports, exploring, some video games and BOARD GAMES! I'm all about that stuff. The plan is eventually a teardrop type trailer for a more comfortable nights sleep.

This was up on Boise Ridge Road in ID with a few other Overland Bound folks for a nice fire we had. Good time.

Stargazer Yurt adventure for Thanksgiving 2019 in ID. Before the lift but after I put the Geolandars on. Would have never made it with the stock rubber.

Looking forward to some fun trips with everyone! Also, if anyone plays Gloomhaven, you're extra cool and we need to connect on that... :D

Ciao

Roberto

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

I feel like I’m back in WI... -12 this morning walking the dog??! Light at the end of the tunnel, 40s again next week!
The weather this weekend is absolutely brutal, atleast this morning it wasnt too windy so it wasnt so tortuous taking the pups out

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Greetings! I'm Orion and have only lived here in the Fort since June after moving up from the Springs (were only there for 9-months... wife hated it). Before that we were in Annapolis, MD but originally from Northern MN. The current weather is all too familiar but I'm still able to cope... just not as well as when we used to build snow forts, hunt, snowmobile, ice fish, etc. My wife and I have spent some time exploring CO but we've really just scratched the surface. With last summer being jacked-up with fires and 90% of the work force camping, it put a damper on our plans. I at least had the opportunity to hit the bottom 3/4 of the COBDR (it's a really great route). I've led some group trips in the past but I typically go solo or with the wife and dog.

Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
Hey everyone,

My name is Connor. I currently live in Fort Collins, but my fiancé will likely drag me down to Denver later this year for her new job. I’ve lived here since 2014, after living in Colorado Springs for a few years before that.

I had an Outback that I used to access hiking in the canyon (I sold it to a kid here in town, and still see it occasionally), but upgraded to a Tacoma TRD Off Road (just like every other millennial) 2 years ago after pretty quickly fitting the limits of the Outback. Took the Tacoma out to the Mojave Road for Christmas last year to break it in. We were able to check out a lot of the easier local trails (7 Mile, sand dunes, Ballard road, Old Flowers, etc) before most of them burned down. We’re still predominantly hikers and backpackers, but have gotten lazy over the last few years with the addition of the Tacoma.

Planning a 4 day trip to Dinosaur National Monument for Memorial Day, which will be out first time getting over to that area of the state.

Attachments

Last edited:

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Awesome! Sounds like we’re going very similar vehicle routes! I’m waiting for the 6th gen 4Runner then my Outback will be on a Toyota used lot. Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Going in a group? Room for one extra rig maybe?

Reactions: Iridium

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
Hey Mike,

I’m also pretty excited for the 6th gen. A bit apprehensive that Toyota will get rid of the body of frame, and we’ll get a high clearance Highlander. At that point we just have a new Defender, so I guess there could be worse things.

Did you see the new Outback “Wilderness Edition”? Cool of Subaru to address the final drive ratio. Part of the reason I sold mine was the gearing. I had the 6 speed manual, and in first gear at ~1,000-1,500 RPM I was already doing 4-5 mph. Made it almost impossible to approach an obstacle with a reasonable speed and enough torque to actually get up and over it.

Always room in the group for one more!

Last edited:

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I did see the Wilderness edition! A slight lift, my geolandars, but still a CVT. If they put a normal transmission with a low transfer case, I might have strongly considered it honestly. So far my Outback hasn’t let me down. I’ve been places with Jeep’s, Tacoma’s, xterras and people have said, wow, I’m surprised you did that! Hah I’ve had to take different lines to get up and obstacle but never had to turn around yet. Once that happens, I KNOW I NEED a 4Runner. I had a major vibration after my 2” spacer lift in my Outback that actually made my dog sick on a road trip and I just fixed it so I’m ready for some trips! Let’s connect in a week or two and see if it’s feasible for the trip!

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
Went out to Pingree Park today to get out of the house, make lunch outside, and do some recon from the fire. Quite a bit of burn area, but there are also some huge swaths of land that didn’t get burned. We didn’t take the road to the Sky Ranch Lutheran camp, but the SNOTEL at Hourglass says there’s still around 3 feet of snow up there.

1. Not much snow at the beginning of the road. Photo taken directly behind the truck is taken around Mile Marker 1.
2. Crown Point Road is closed 4-5 miles in, but otherwise passable with no problems. I was aired down to 25psi and in 4hi. Photo from the side of the truck is just before the closed gate on Crown Point.
3. The last photo is taken from just before the CSU mountain campus. Quite a bit of burn to the North East of the campus.

Attachments

Reactions: JDGreens

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Went out to Pingree Park today to get out of the house, make lunch outside, and do some recon from the fire. Quite a bit of burn area, but there are also some huge swaths of land that didn’t get burned. We didn’t take the road to the Sky Ranch Lutheran camp, but the SNOTEL at Hourglass says there’s still around 3 feet of snow up there.

1. Not much snow at the beginning of the road. Photo taken directly behind the truck is taken around Mile Marker 1.
2. Crown Point Road is closed 4-5 miles in, but otherwise passable with no problems. I was aired down to 25psi and in 4hi. Photo from the side of the truck is just before the closed gate on Crown Point.
3. The last photo is taken from just before the CSU mountain campus. Quite a bit of burn to the North East of the campus.
welcome Connor! Next time you are planning to head out if you are looking for company post it here first I’m sure someone will join you!

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
How many of you guys have HAM licenses? I'm looking to get a mobile radio for my truck (and an HT or two to supplement, and ditch the UV-5R I currently have), but want to get something that's consistent with everyone else, especially if most people are using digital. APRS.fi has mostly Yaesu units along the front range, with a few Kenwoods as well.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

How many of you guys have HAM licenses? I'm looking to get a mobile radio for my truck (and an HT or two to supplement, and ditch the UV-5R I currently have), but want to get something that's consistent with everyone else, especially if most people are using digital. APRS.fi has mostly Yaesu units along the front range, with a few Kenwoods as well.
Very few of our local group has HAM, we always use GMRS

Reactions: SS308 and Iridium