Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Sorry if this has been disc, I havent seen it...

California is looking to ban the sale of small engines. Maybe it started as a way to curb use of gas leaf blowers and weed whackers but could affect your RV / Overland gas generators as well...

I suppose Tesla had better come out with a solar generator that surpasses the output potential of a gas generator… *sighs at California’s decisions*

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Arailt

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

It's not just solar or not. Some people just use them in bad weather when the power goes out. If you aren't fully charged by then, you've a hard time charging during the blizzard.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It's not just solar or not. Some people just use them in bad weather when the power goes out. If you aren't fully charged by then, you've a hard time charging during the blizzard.
Power for the common folk? Surely you jest.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
CA has been after this for a while, its frankly disappointingly shortsighted, especially on the generator and chainsaw clauses and will hurt small business and rural landowners the most.
I suspect this will gut most small landscaping firms throughout the state, as only the larger, corporate firms will be able to afford the additional cost sinks required to support large scale electrification of landscaping tools and charging infrastructure.

Personally, I'm waiting for the inevitable outcome of landscaper trucks being left on, idling, to charge tool batteries for the next job. While I detest the gas powered leaf blower from a noise pollution perspective, there is a reason they're still around and in heavy use for landscapers... Same with small to mid sized mowers or anyone who gets paid to deal with grounds work on anything more the yard of a suburban home.

From a politico standpoint, something interesting about this whole debacle... there is some Dem pushback on this because of how rural most of the state *is*. From a state-power-grid infrastructure standpoint it won't be sustainable in 3 years to have new battery packs sold to replace what a gas generator could do, and people know it.

I hope something happens with this that makes it less stupid in the coming years, but I don't think it'll *actually* happen. As we have some rural property that doesn't have power, its a big issue for development and land maintenance.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It appears to only cover gas engines. Diesel and propane are safe. My motor home generator was propane, most of my friends are that or diesel. If you wanted a gas one, you could just go get one out of state. Fortunately, its not banning the ownership yet. Watch how fast the cost of portable diesel generators climb here.

Every time they put in some restriction, people find a way.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
From a state-power-grid infrastructure standpoint it won't be sustainable in 3 years to have new battery packs sold to replace what a gas generator could do, and people know it.
Take this thought up a level.
Our power grid is no way capable of supplying enough power in the summer during high use. Rolling blackouts are now the new normal here. From what ive seen, there are no plans to significantly up grade it. Remember, soon were suppose to be driving mostly electric cars. If we cant supply enough power in the summer, that's nothing compared to everyone plugging in their cars every night.

Last edited:
Coming to a place to near you. Seems whatever nonsense happens in California spreads across the planet. I would also think that used gas powered equipment will drastically go up in value.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Coming to a place to near you. Seems whatever nonsense happens in California spreads across the planet. I would also think that used gas powered equipment will drastically go up in value.
Not here in Missouri. At least not in my lifetime. The term "except in california" has been meaningless for decades in the parts business. Those folks can play stupid all they want but there's zero impact on anyone .1" from the state line.
Zim

Reactions: Offroadnutz

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
If folks just idle their engines for electricity I wonder how that stacks up in emissions compared to portable generators over time?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
These decisions are made by people who live in the city and are not affected by their edits on the common people. My cousin lives in Southern California and depends on a generator for power dues to the State's inability to provide enough power to the population. He is not alone.

Reactions: Neuvik and MazeVX

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
And the nonsense spreads across the country as unrepentant Californians move to another state to escape themselves.

Reactions: freak4life
Maybe time to market a portable windmill/generator that pulls behind your electric RV? In fact it spins while towing and magical dust spews from its arse. Just a thought lol

Last edited by a moderator:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If folks just idle their engines for electricity I wonder how that stacks up in emissions compared to portable generators over time?
Good thought.

What would have to be calculated here is efficiency. If the engine was only powering a generator, that would be more efficient than powering the rest of the vehicle also. Then come in the next part. It takes X horsepower to produce Y power in watts. So fuel consumption to produce the power on paper will be the same. This is where efficiency comes in. If a car is efficient enough to produce the power with less loss then, yes that would work. Same power, less fuel, less emissions.

The easier way to do this would be to make the gas generator emit less emissions by increasing its efficiency. Most small gas generators are not very efficient. You could actually get more power for the amount of fuel burned by just tuning the build.

Its more than possible to make them more efficient.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Take this thought up a level.
Our power grid is no way capable of supplying enough power in the summer during high use. Rolling blackouts are now the new normal here. From what ive seen, there is no plans to significantly up grade it. Remember, soon were suppose to be driving mostly electric cars. If we cant supply enough power in the summer, that's nothing compared to everyone plugging in their cars every night.
I was trying to avoid going *there* with this topic, but that is another facet of the larger infrastructure issues we've been having here, yes.

My partner and I were joking that the real impacts of this won't be felt until the people in cities who push this legislation start having to face HOA fines over landscaping because their favorite small business landscaper stopped doing doing residential work because it stopped being profitable. Maybe if that happens something will change.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I was trying to avoid going *there* with this topic, but that is another facet of the larger infrastructure issues we've been having here, yes.

My partner and I were joking that the real impacts of this won't be felt until the people in cities who push this legislation start having to face HOA fines over landscaping because their favorite small business landscaper stopped doing doing residential work because it stopped being profitable. Maybe if that happens something will change.
Nothing will happen until the "elites" are affected.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was trying to avoid going *there* with this topic, but that is another facet of the larger infrastructure issues we've been having here, yes
OOPS, sorry.
I've been following the solar/windpower infrastructure issue for a couple of decades. One of my too many pet peeves.

Reactions: rho
Status
Not open for further replies.