No coffee for me.... but for my wife. Best Press?

• HTML tutorial

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Hey Jason, excellent idea on the Kit Box; all is centralized in one place. ... will do something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Jason Jackson

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I went a little different direction , I bought one of those small cheap countertop coffee pots , Plug it into my inverter and then a couple minutes I have a nice hot cup of coffee. 39A0D674-B5A5-4062-9672-E35FF931F570.png

But for backpacking I have a snow peak coffee maker .

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

One thing I learned in starting this thread. There are many, many ways to brew coffee. Wish I liked it There is now an Aeropress Go Might give it a try as well as our new drip kit.

Knight Raider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leicht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREZ615
As with the rest of my kitchen kits. I made her a coffee kit. Need to add some tea for me. Ha. She loved it. I enjoyed making her coffee last weekend camping out.
thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
I really like this idea with everything in a kit. I personally use instant coffee in hot water, but my wife would love to have “real coffee”.

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
I find this one from GSI perfectly adequate. I've used it on 5 or 6 trips and no complaints other than it doesn't have any measuring marks to help you pour your desired volume. But my GSI coffee cup does so I just measure with the coffee cup and pour it in. It's light, has a decent insulated wrap around it

I second this choice. Durable, easy to clean, no grounds seeping through. I’ve used mine dozens of times. I do grind my own beans at camp and keep them coarse. I measure the water with my boiling cup.
The easy to clean part is important while camping. It’s wide enough to get your hand into. When you’re using it 7 days in a row you don’t want to drag around an extra brush to fit a narrow opening. Just wipe with a towel and it’s ready to go.

@Jason Jackson
Your coffee kit is also cool! Check out www.thejavacan.com

He’s an active duty special forces soldier that takes his brew seriously. He made a kit for overlanders.

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I second this choice. Durable, easy to clean, no grounds seeping through. I’ve used mine dozens of times. I do grind my own beans at camp and keep them coarse. I measure the water with my boiling cup.
The easy to clean part is important while camping. It’s wide enough to get your hand into. When you’re using it 7 days in a row you don’t want to drag around an extra brush to fit a narrow opening. Just wipe with a towel and it’s ready to go.

@Jason Jackson
Your coffee kit is also cool! Check out www.thejavacan.com

He’s an active duty special forces soldier that takes his brew seriously. He made a kit for overlanders.
That Java Can kit is bad ass!

Reactions: Bugout80

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As with the rest of my kitchen kits. I made her a coffee kit. Need to add some tea for me. Ha. She loved it. I enjoyed making her coffee last weekend camping out.
thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
I bet kits like this would sell like hot cakes, especially right now around the holliday season. I know a couple coffee adicts that would love this. im going to have to steel this idea. Where did you get the waterproof case?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I bet kits like this would sell like hot cakes, especially right now around the holliday season. I know a couple coffee adicts that would love this. im going to have to steel this idea. Where did you get the waterproof case?
thats a ridgid organizer sold at home depot in tool dept for around $30. they are very durable and the seals are good...i have a toolbox like it and keep it in the bed of my truck in rain and it never got wet inside. very cool idea, i like it better than the ammo can because it wont rust. it would also make a good 1st aid kit

Last edited:

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Yes. As he said. Home Depot tool cases. Great pricing. And 3 sizes. Plus an open air crate. I have a chuck box that’s the biggest. I had to remove the wheel and handle parts to fit my bed slide set up. And the middle size I keep a 10 q lodge. Plates All that jazz. Another ha more camp gear. The crate I used for tarp and gear that need air drying. here are some pics. (The second small case has a 10” cast iron pan. And a 12” griddle in it. With room for cleaning tools too. They all stack and latch and use one small footprint in the garage when not in use.

Attachments

Reactions: M Rose

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

thats a ridgid organizer sold at home depot in tool dept for around $30. they are very durable and the seals are good...i have a toolbox like it and keep it in the bed of my truck in rain and it never got wet inside. very cool idea, i like it better than the ammo can because it wont rust. it would also make a good 1st aid kit
Just need some cool decals to cover that tool brand name. Ha!

Reactions: grubworm

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I wish I had a Home Depot closer than 2 hours away. Do those little containers come with the case?
Yes. And two dividers. The larger ones have lift out trays.
order them online I suppose

Attachments

gooroo_dougie

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Mengers
Member #

Your coffee kit looks great! I've been using a Planetary Designs Steel Toe french press for the last few months and love it. Kind of like the GSI that people have already shared, but in a steel insulated container. Very fine screen keeps all the grounds out, makes enough to get the day started (20 oz). They also have larger tabletop models.

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Your coffee kit looks great! I've been using a Planetary Designs Steel Toe french press for the last few months and love it. Kind of like the GSI that people have already shared, but in a steel insulated container. Very fine screen keeps all the grounds out, makes enough to get the day started (20 oz). They also have larger tabletop models.

Thanks. Have not bought a press yet. She’s happy with the drip system. But I like to build this stuff. I’ll look into this one.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

I still do a pour over with water boiled in a jetboil. Quick, minimal clean-up and a cup of coffee the girlfriend likes.

1573235852347.jpeg I don't use an orange cup...that comes from the REI photo :smirk: