NJ to UT

• HTML tutorial

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

At the end of May my wife and I are making the long haul out to Moab from our home state of New Jersey. We will be out in UT and northern AZ for about 2 weeks and I am interested in maybe meeting up with some members while we are out there to hit some trails.

So far the only thing I have planned for sure is Black Bear Pass as we drive through Colorado so I can check that off my bucket list. It looks like we will be hitting it on 5/28 or 5/29 depending on what kind of time we can make driving out there. It would be great to meet up with someone familiar with the pass to ride it with us.

From there we will be heading to Moab, where we are probably going to spend most of our time. I want to hit some of the moderate trails while we are there.

Towards the end of our trip I’m hoping to head down to AZ for a few days. Looking to spend 2 -3 days between the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff.

Also, our rig is an ‘04 Wrangler Rubicon on 32” tires and so we should be able to manage most moderate trails pretty easily. Hit me up if you are interested in a meet up.

I’ll be ordering my OB emblems pretty soon so I’ll follow up with my member number once I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TimsterAZ

TimsterAZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, Arizona
Member #

Wow, that sounds like a great trip. Being originally from NYC, if this is your first time out here, man you guys are going to love it. Not sure if you're going to be out here by 5/18, but overland expo is that weekend in Flagstaff. Haven't done moab yet, but i have some great spots in northern az if your interested. Thanks Tim OB#8081

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Wow, that sounds like a great trip. Being originally from NYC, if this is your first time out here, man you guys are going to love it. Not sure if you're going to be out here by 5/18, but overland expo is that weekend in Flagstaff. Haven't done moab yet, but i have some great spots in northern az if your interested. Thanks Tim OB#8081

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
Didn’t realize until after we had the trip planned that we would miss the Expo by a week. Any recommendations for AZ would be great though!

StoneBeanCoffee

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clinton,NJ 08801
Member #

Jeepwillikera,
I just posted a similar question my self a few days ago. We are heading out from NJ around the 26th. Our plan was to do some trails and passes in Colorado and Utah. I have been keeping an eye on Switzerland of America and the forestry web site for what passes will be open early June. It’s been a little overwhelming trying to research and plan so we are just going to go west and see where the adventure takes us.
We have a Rubi as well. I would be happy meet up or share trip information along the way.

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Jeepwillikera,
I just posted a similar question my self a few days ago. We are heading out from NJ around the 26th. Our plan was to do some trails and passes in Colorado and Utah. I have been keeping an eye on Switzerland of America and the forestry web site for what passes will be open early June. It’s been a little overwhelming trying to research and plan so we are just going to go west and see where the adventure takes us.
We have a Rubi as well. I would be happy meet up or share trip information along the way.

It would be great to meet up, we are leaving on the 27th and we are going to try to make Denver by the 29th. I just found out that Black Bear Pass May not be open for the season yet so I might cancel that plan and spend that whole day exploring between Denver and Moab. I think we are going to spend the majority of our time in Southern UT and then finishing up with a few days around the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff. We are planning to be back in NJ by the 10th. We can meet up any time in that window. Message me if you are interested.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I just found out that Black Bear Pass May not be open for the season yet so I might cancel that plan and spend that whole day exploring between Denver and Moab.

I've heard that the Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Passes) have opened early. You might give that consideration. If Imogene Pass is open early it's a pretty amazing trail too.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Just an FYI, if the Alpine Loop is open by then, that is not something you'll do "on the way" driving from Denver to Moab. The Apline Loop is a pretty full day of driving in its self. As is driving from Denver to Moab on a path that would get you to the trails.

Honestly Denver to Moab with the Alpine Loop is a 3 day affair in my mind to really enjoy it.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Just an FYI, if the Alpine Loop is open by then, that is not something you'll do "on the way" driving from Denver to Moab. The Apline Loop is a pretty full day of driving in its self. As is driving from Denver to Moab on a path that would get you to the trails.

Honestly Denver to Moab with the Alpine Loop is a 3 day affair in my mind to really enjoy it.
I understand that, my original plan was to take two days to drive to Moab and to do Black Bear Pass the first day. I think I’m going to to just head straight to Moab.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I understand that, my original plan was to take two days to drive to Moab and to do Black Bear Pass the first day. I think I’m going to to just head straight to Moab.

OK, you’d be surprised how many think they can do something like that along with the day’s drive from Denver to Moab.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
OK, you’d be surprised how many think they can do something like that along with the day’s drive from Denver to Moab.
That's a good point that I had assumed was understood.

Having come from the east myself it's easy to underestimate how long it takes to drive across these western states and especially so when there's a mountain in your path. You can rarely drive directly to anywhere in CO, but always have to go around a mountain. :)

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

That's a good point that I had assumed was understood.

Having come from the east myself it's easy to underestimate how long it takes to drive across these western states and especially so when there's a mountain in your path. You can rarely drive directly to anywhere in CO, but always have to go around a mountain. :)
I’m thinking I will have to plan a trip with CO as the main destination for a future vacation. I will make sure I plan to go later in the year so I can get the full experience.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice trip you have planned- If it is your first time out to Moab, prepare to be amazed. We easterners find it difficult to grasp that the Moab region is much larger than the state of NJ. We have been to the region 6 or 7 times in the past 10 years. The first time out we spent nearly three weeks there and just barely scratched the surface and still have not gone into the Maze District. Last time out we included the region in our 7 week tour of the western backcountry. We have plans of going there again this coming January. Prepare to become addicted. Prepare for extreme heat this time of year. Have fun- peace out !!