Nissan Xterra

• HTML tutorial

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

My buddy wants a 2000-2004 Xterra in the 3-4K price range. Im helping him look but I'm not too familiar with them. Any Xterra owners have any things we should know or look for?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm not as familiar with the Gen1, but everyone I know who had one that a Gen1 and updated to a Gen2 said it was like night and day. The Gen2 (2005+) is larger, more comfortable, more powerful, and gets better MPG than the 1999-2004.

If I was in his position, I would wait and save a bit more for the Gen2.

Dillon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ8J
I had a 2000 Xterra SE for 15 years. Overall it was pretty bulletproof. It was a V6 with a manual trans. These had a few problem areas: the distributer's shaft would fail, but one still on the road has been fixed by now. The timing belt needs to be replaced at 100k. The valve cover gaskets start to leak at about 80k or so. The timing belt is pretty simple but tedious. The valve cover gasket is a real test of patience. The sixth spark plug is also very tedious to replace. The plugs should be replaced at 60k.

There is a place for a cabin filter, but most 1st gen Xterras don't have one installed. In my case this caused the air conditioning condenser to become completely clogged. I finally sold the truck after 15 years and 130k miles when the power steering pump sprung a leak.

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

Tech for Nissan for 10 years. Had a 2000 Xterra and put just over 200k on her. The only things i ever had to replace, outside of routine maint, were an exhaust manifold and fan clutch. Theyre under powered and get pretty bad mpg's but they are a sturdy rig that wont let you down. Deeply regret selling her. Not a ton of aftermarekt support but check out 4x4parts.com and calmini.com 2nd gen is a better choice, make sure its had its timing chains and radiator/transmission replaced.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

My buddy wants a 2000-2004 Xterra in the 3-4K price range. Im helping him look but I'm not too familiar with them. Any Xterra owners have any things we should know or look for?
Well, for what it's worth, I have a 2010 Xterra that I would like to sell. Not because of its performance or reliability, but because I have three 4WD vehicles, and I need to keep the old siverado pickup and I bought a 2008 Wrangler earlier this year for the fun of it, and it just seems silly to keep all three.

I just got it out of the shop for a timing belt chain replacement. I won't recoup that $2500 expense, but it's a plus for a potential buyer to have that done. 107k. Good condition. A tiny bit of damage to the plastic grille. No one has ever noticed it.
Only upgades that I've done to it are keyless entry and Kenwood media center for bluetooth and hands free phone. Les Schwab Wild Country tires a lot of tread left.
This rig has an awsome ride. Lots of power. I don't think it has ever been on a rocky trail.
I'd offer a bargain except for the recent service cost. Asking $7500

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

The only experience I have with Nissan Xterra's is I once received a literally brand new (something like 90 miles on it) 2014 PRO-4X as a rental while my truck at the time ('07 Trailblazer LT) was in the shop.

Hertz was out of the car class I reserved and the guy rummaged in his drawer of keys and was like, "You know what? How about a brand new Xterra?" "Sure!" I said.

I had that Xterra for a week and it was great - definitely wasn't overly excited to give it back in favor of my repaired Trailblazer. I kept my eyes and ears open for used ones after that but it never came to be. If they were available in New Zealand I would have definitely shopped for one.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
... make sure its had its timing chains and radiator/transmission replaced.
Sorry for the thread hijack but why this stuff, and at what millage? Just seems odd to need transmission and timing chains as service items unless theres a known flaw in them. Radiator makes sense especially if it has an internal engine or trans oil cooler.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Love the xterra platform but they have their shortcomings. 1 gen timing belt engine, poor mpgs very little aftermarket support. 2nd gen radiator transmission warmer needs bypass ($5) or it can leak coolant into your transmission (destroyed almost instantly) timing chain guides have been known to make noise requiring service but I've had friends that have just ignored this issue and have it go away! (IDK) slightly better aftermarket support from 1st gen. Good power decent mpgs for a 4.0L easy to lift and get 33s under it with some "heat mods". The abuse I've seen these trucks take is something else!

I'd be looking for a second gen "off road" edition for the rear e-lcoker.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

I love my 2nd gen, she's a beast, very capable off road and decent MPG, def recommend as stated earlier to go for 2nd gen 05-up

The X's have a great community as well

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

I'm afraid I started that...sorry. I really do have a 2010 Xterra for sale. Just had the main timing belt replaced (not the short ones). I have a thread under "Rigs" if anyone has an interest.