Nissan FS vs Toyota FS why is Toyota preferred?

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My small 2019 Tacoma is actually longer and about the same width as my 1996, 7 passenger, Cruiser. Guess which one has more room inside? I don't think my Tacoma is under powered. Sure, some of the modern V6 have more horsepower and torque. To me it has enough. Its just a matter of perspective.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
My small 2019 Tacoma is actually longer and about the same width as my 1996, 7 passenger, Cruiser. Guess which one has more room inside? I don't think my Tacoma is under powered. Sure, some of the modern V6 have more horsepower and torque. To me it has enough. Its just a matter of perspective.
Nissan did a similar thing to their 2020 Frontier that Toyota did with the Tacoma, downsized the previous 4.0 V6.
I don't agree with it! Both the Toyota and Nissan 4.0 V6's are better suited with their torque-heavy power. Although I think the new Nissan 3.8 is actually a significant bump in overall power, the previous 4.0 had a better torque curve.
I agree, it's "enough", especially on the trails for many people.
I don't agree with Toyota doing it to the Tacoma though, I don't think the 3.5 does any better on MPGs? Toyota must have done it for emissions I guess. I always thought the 4.0 was "just right" for the Tacoma.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Nissan did a similar thing to their 2020 Frontier that Toyota did with the Tacoma, downsized the previous 4.0 V6.
I don't agree with it! Both the Toyota and Nissan 4.0 V6's are better suited with their torque-heavy power. Although I think the new Nissan 3.8 is actually a significant bump in overall power, the previous 4.0 had a better torque curve.
I agree, it's "enough", especially on the trails for many people.
I don't agree with Toyota doing it to the Tacoma though, I don't think the 3.5 does any better on MPGs? Toyota must have done it for emissions I guess. I always thought the 4.0 was "just right" for the Tacoma.
The new 3.8 might have a different torque curve, but it's also mated to a new 8 speed transmission, so it remains to be seen whether it's as responsive as the old setup.

If I were to go and buy a truck right now, it would likely be a 2014-2017 Frontier pro 4x. It probably wouldn't see much dirt until it's paid off, or unless my 03 Xterra is broken though.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Well, Nissan went all "Gillette" and made a "woke" ad campaign:

So, I won't be pondering whether or not I'll be buying any more Nissans. Nissan vs. Toyota is a moot point for me now.

25 years of buying Nissan and Infiniti now ends.

malenurse

Rank II

Enthusiast II

disputanta, va
First Name
wil
Last Name
havens
I have had a 2017 Titan for over a year and 30k miles. I bought the base model one slightly used due to the price and reviews of people I know that have had titans with well over 200k miles on them. This thing has vinyl floors and aside from power windows and locks not much else as options go. I had a 2010 F350 fully loaded Diesel before hand that, while was a beautiful truck that would pull like crazy, was prone to issues and wasn't worth a damn in snow or mud. I have a job that I have to report to when called so this was a good option. I have had several trucks over the years to include a 91 hard body that I never had issues with, and this one is the most utilitarian of them all. I had done quite a bit of modifying to this one, with more to follow. The DI makes for noisy start ups, but I have no complaints for power, towing, or mileage. I work with about 9 Toyota Tundra/Taco owners that all like their trucks minus what they paid for them that don't have any complaints other than mileage and one blown V8 motor that took Toyota over 6 weeks to agree to replace. I can see how popular they are, based on what ai see on the road 110 miles a day and what aftermarket support there is. Hell, I can't find much for my truck because of how much more popular the XD is, but I have went from stock, to leveled, to 5" lift and 35s. I have a shell that eventually will be painted to match, a buyout box, upgraded audio, lighting and camping/outdoor support systems. Next will be heated seats because 23 years in the Army has taken its toll on my hip and back... we use it to tow a tractor, and ATVs. we use the wrangler for the camp trailer project (once its finished of course)... I do wish they would have kept the power rear window with the second gen...

Attachments

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I have had a 2017 Titan for over a year and 30k miles. I bought the base model one slightly used due to the price and reviews of people I know that have had titans with well over 200k miles on them. This thing has vinyl floors and aside from power windows and locks not much else as options go. I had a 2010 F350 fully loaded Diesel before hand that, while was a beautiful truck that would pull like crazy, was prone to issues and wasn't worth a damn in snow or mud. I have a job that I have to report to when called so this was a good option. I have had several trucks over the years to include a 91 hard body that I never had issues with, and this one is the most utilitarian of them all. I had done quite a bit of modifying to this one, with more to follow. The DI makes for noisy start ups, but I have no complaints for power, towing, or mileage. I work with about 9 Toyota Tundra/Taco owners that all like their trucks minus what they paid for them that don't have any complaints other than mileage and one blown V8 motor that took Toyota over 6 weeks to agree to replace. I can see how popular they are, based on what ai see on the road 110 miles a day and what aftermarket support there is. Hell, I can't find much for my truck because of how much more popular the XD is, but I have went from stock, to leveled, to 5" lift and 35s. I have a shell that eventually will be painted to match, a buyout box, upgraded audio, lighting and camping/outdoor support systems. Next will be heated seats because 23 years in the Army has taken its toll on my hip and back... we use it to tow a tractor, and ATVs. we use the wrangler for the camp trailer project (once its finished of course)... I do wish they would have kept the power rear window with the second gen...
That's one of the best set-up Gen 2's I've seen. Many things that work on the Gen 1 can be used on the Gen 2 as Nissan didn't change much of anything on the newer trucks, totally different skin and interior, added DI and 7AT, but the frame and many of the mounting points are the same as Gen 1, which isn't a bad thing.

I love my powered rear window! Because my truck has a canopy, I can clean the bed out very easily, just open the back window, drag a hose into the back seat area and wash all of the stuff out through the back window, makes it a quick and easy job.

BTW malenurse, which lift kit is that? Does it help off-road?

I think we have a similar color:
IMG_20200308_145320272_HDR.jpgIMG_20200308_145234626_HDR.jpg

malenurse

Rank II

Enthusiast II

disputanta, va
First Name
wil
Last Name
havens
That's one of the best set-up Gen 2's I've seen. Many things that work on the Gen 1 can be used on the Gen 2 as Nissan didn't change much of anything on the newer trucks, totally different skin and interior, added DI and 7AT, but the frame and many of the mounting points are the same as Gen 1, which isn't a bad thing.

I love my powered rear window! Because my truck has a canopy, I can clean the bed out very easily, just open the back window, drag a hose into the back seat area and wash all of the stuff out through the back window, makes it a quick and easy job.

BTW malenurse, which lift kit is that? Does it help off-road?

I think we have a similar color:
View attachment 144412View attachment 144413
I went with the 5” Procomp due to the crossmember to frame support bars. It definitely helped to clear the 35s, and going to 18 from a 20 wheel helped the ride. I have driven it in snow, sand, and mud at all stages and this set up works well for me. Of note, I do have a 1.5” rear add a leaf due to not liking the front being higher and I now have airbags for added support. Using tow mode I can definitely pull anything I’d ever want to.

Reactions: Vadim

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

So, your dilemma was similar to my dilemma. I just got my '20 Ram Rebel February 15th. I was torn between that and the Tundra TRD Pro. Both were nearly identically priced, but what set me on the Rebel was after I went and physically drove both vehicles. The Tundra TRD Pro is nothing like the Taco, not nearly as much off-road driving tech. The Rebel lacked the front facing camera, but I didn't care. Been wheeling for years with no front camera, and trying to mess with that while in a pickle could quickly become worse. Rebel had plenty of ground clearance, and the 33gal tank was a plus. Neither were MPG champs. I know Toyota has a known reliability factor over the Ram, but that's what the 125k mile extended warranty was for. Ram was lifted from the factory (I'll lift it more, that went for either truck). At the end of the day, comfort, space, perks went towards the Ram moreso than the Tundra. Better rebates, etc. So far it has been just fine, stock.
Can't argue that I may regret it later on if something major were to happen, but for now, I am beyond glad I went with the Ram, the sound of that engine sure doesn't hurt either!!! It's up to you at the end of the day.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
So, your dilemma was similar to my dilemma. I just got my '20 Ram Rebel February 15th. I was torn between that and the Tundra TRD Pro. Both were nearly identically priced, but what set me on the Rebel was after I went and physically drove both vehicles. The Tundra TRD Pro is nothing like the Taco, not nearly as much off-road driving tech. The Rebel lacked the front facing camera, but I didn't care. Been wheeling for years with no front camera, and trying to mess with that while in a pickle could quickly become worse. Rebel had plenty of ground clearance, and the 33gal tank was a plus. Neither were MPG champs. I know Toyota has a known reliability factor over the Ram, but that's what the 125k mile extended warranty was for. Ram was lifted from the factory (I'll lift it more, that went for either truck). At the end of the day, comfort, space, perks went towards the Ram moreso than the Tundra. Better rebates, etc. So far it has been just fine, stock.
Can't argue that I may regret it later on if something major were to happen, but for now, I am beyond glad I went with the Ram, the sound of that engine sure doesn't hurt either!!! It's up to you at the end of the day.
The Ram has the best interior of all FS trucks, IMO. With that warranty, I sure wouldn't mind owning a Rebel!

Reactions: GhostfaceRebel35

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
I don't understand the problem some people have with the interior room on a Tacoma. Maybe it's because I came from cars and jeeps, but it's more than room enough for me. I don't bump elbows with the wife, the dog loves having the back seat, I have cup holders for days.

Never owned a Nissan anything, but I considered test driving a Frontier when I bought my truck. Never made it that far, pictures of the interior were enough to check it off the list before I even finished my online research.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I don't understand the problem some people have with the interior room on a Tacoma. Maybe it's because I came from cars and jeeps, but it's more than room enough for me. I don't bump elbows with the wife, the dog loves having the back seat, I have cup holders for days.

Never owned a Nissan anything, but I considered test driving a Frontier when I bought my truck. Never made it that far, pictures of the interior were enough to check it off the list before I even finished my online research.
I have read many reviews that say the Tacoma has a high floor, low roof, making it feel like the seat is low to the floor. My co-worker has a 2018 Tacoma and it certainly does seem that way. Cabin is "long" though.

The interior of the Frontier is hideous. I can't believe Nissan never updated it in 16 years. The Titan interior was updated during Gen 1 as was the Armada interior during the Gen 1 lifespan. I like everything about the Frontier except the interior. I still think in 2020 it's the best looking exterior on a smaller truck.

Reactions: GhostfaceRebel35

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I use to have Baja Bugs. I haven't sat in one in decades. My buddy picked up a stock oval window in great shape. When I sat in it I was amazed how small it is inside. When we use to race them, it seemed like it had loads of room. I like the feel of my Tacoma inside. Nothing feels out of reach. My only complaint is not a Toyota problem but a Japan problem. They need to make the steering "tilt" like american cars not the whole column move up and down. It's fine once your in but, I hate "scooting" under it.

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

I’m 6’5”. The Tacoma is a great truck and, sure, I fit. But if I drive KY to UT or something, I’ll be like the tin man in the rain trying to get out. That’s my only complaint, trip longevity. Short trips, I’d have one in a split second.

It’s not just Tacoma, but all the smaller trucks... FS it is for these legs.

Reactions: iLikeDonuts

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Thinking overland - whats Your opinnion about that gear swich? For me it's sucks to rely on some electronic connectors intead of phisical lever... Can't imagine an issue with it in the middle of Mohave Desert :fearscream:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Thinking overland - whats Your opinnion about that gear swich? For me it's sucks to rely on some electronic connectors intead of phisical lever... Can't imagine an issue with it in the middle of Mohave Desert :fearscream:
Many vehicles nowadays don't have a mechanical connection to the transmission, even if the gear selector looks traditional. The gear selector in my Mk7 GTI looks "normal" but it is fully electronic.

Dodge/RAM is using the rotary selector to free up console space. However, there have been recalls and at least one death of a semi-famous person over the design implementation.

As for reliability, I dunno. I have heard some pretty bad stories about newer RAM trucks, I would guess your chances of having any multiple of issues occur on a trail in a RAM are statistically worse than most other brands, not just the selector.

My co-worker has a 2016 Ram 3500. Beautiful truck, but always has expensive issues. However, he did buy the extended warranty and has saved him a few times. The truck has broken down twice on him while on vacation, once the turbo blew at 40k miles while pulling a pop-up trailer through a sparsely populated area in Nevada, that was a $6700 hit to his warranty, and another time his wiring harness was damaged, supposedly by a rodent, whilst he was out hunting. Couldn't get back home. This last one probably not fault of RAM. But, he just recently spent $5K to have the exhaust replaced because it rusted out and his diesel emission gear failed, he ended up doing a delete because the warranty is expired or didn't cover it.
So, his RAM left him stranded twice.

Good video about new RAM, don't buy one without the extended warranty, otherwise amazing vehicle:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Many vehicles nowadays don't have a mechanical connection to the transmission, even if the gear selector looks traditional. The gear selector in my Mk7 GTI looks "normal" but it is fully electronic.

Dodge/RAM is using the rotary selector to free up console space. However, there have been recalls and at least one death of a semi-famous person over the design implementation.

As for reliability, I dunno. I have heard some pretty bad stories about newer RAM trucks, I would guess your chances of having any multiple of issues occur on a trail in a RAM are statistically worse than most other brands, not just the selector.

My co-worker has a 2016 Ram 3500. Beautiful truck, but always has expensive issues. However, he did buy the extended warranty and has saved him a few times. The truck has broken down twice on him while on vacation, once the turbo blew at 40k miles while pulling a pop-up trailer through a sparsely populated area in Nevada, that was a $6700 hit to his warranty, and another time his wiring harness was damaged, supposedly by a rodent, whilst he was out hunting. Couldn't get back home. This last one probably not fault of RAM. But, he just recently spent $5K to have the exhaust replaced because it rusted out and his diesel emission gear failed, he ended up doing a delete because the warranty is expired or didn't cover it.
So, his RAM left him stranded twice.

Good video about new RAM, don't buy one without the extended warranty, otherwise amazing vehicle:
These are the things that I really don't like about new vehicles (and the price). This is why I specifically choose a first gen Xterra for my overland rig. Mechanical linkage to both the transmission and transfer case. It doesn't have the most power out there (I specifically avoided the supercharged version), and the MPG isn't great (about 16-18 under normal driving conditions), but it's rock solid, well built, and simple and cheap to fix if something does break. It's not as cheap to modify as the Toyotas, but there's more than enough out there available, including front and rear lockers, bumpers, skid plates, roof racks, etc. I'm not trying to knock anybody's choice, but for me, it was the right vehicle. At least, I think it was. I suppose we'll find out after my first extended trip (which is supposed to happen next month, but we'll see).

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
These are the things that I really don't like about new vehicles (and the price). This is why I specifically choose a first gen Xterra for my overland rig. Mechanical linkage to both the transmission and transfer case. It doesn't have the most power out there (I specifically avoided the supercharged version), and the MPG isn't great (about 16-18 under normal driving conditions), but it's rock solid, well built, and simple and cheap to fix if something does break. It's not as cheap to modify as the Toyotas, but there's more than enough out there available, including front and rear lockers, bumpers, skid plates, roof racks, etc. I'm not trying to knock anybody's choice, but for me, it was the right vehicle. At least, I think it was. I suppose we'll find out after my first extended trip (which is supposed to happen next month, but we'll see).
Xterras are excellent choices for an option to a 4Runner or FJCruiser. The value is excellent.
However, I wouldn't discount the 2nd Gen Xterra as being too complicated. It's only slightly more complicated than 1st Gen and very capable with a huge boost in power. I remember renting one of them in 2004 (was a 2005 model) with the then new VQ40. Man, was I impressed by the power!

I do like the Gen 1 Xterra interior better, and the SC engine wasn't such a great improvement over the VG33 (am I right on that engine model? it's been a while!) Compared to a peer 4Runner I think they had similar on-road performance.

The Gen 2 Xterra and current frontier have horrible plastic interiors, and the orange lighting looks sickly. Somehow, when Toyota used orange lighting in their early 2000's 4Runners, it looked better, like more of a "Halloween" orange, whereas the Nissan orange looked more of a "excrement" color! Yeah, I make weird observations!

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Sure, I understand that until it concerns my M3 SMG but not a 4x4 vehicle that might be concidered as overlander. The rest I agree - U R > :tonguewink: