Nissan FS vs Toyota FS why is Toyota preferred?

• HTML tutorial

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Sure, I understand that until it concerns my M3 SMG but not a 4x4 vehicle that might be concidered as overlander. The rest I agree - U R > :tonguewink:
Speaking of "SMG", the DSG on my GTI had to be replaced at 20K miles! Good thing it wasn't my only car.

• Wow
Reactions: Ralph

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

This is my 1st Chrysler vehicle, period (unless you call the '94 3000gt VR4 (Dodge Stealth RT/TT) one, it died with 377k miles on the original block, and abused beyond belief). I haven't had any issues, yet... but only 2500 miles on the clock :smile:. Again, the Xterra, 4runner, tacoma, etc. I like them all a lot, I know many are considered bullet proof. That decision making came down to one thing, space. 2 carseats, and myself, and the wife makes all these options tight quarters. The video referenced above, I've seen it, saw it before I made my decision. I also saw several others, with people 1+ years into the '19. The 19's had plenty of issues, cleaned up in '20 for the most part including the gear dial. The electronic rear locker has been used for a while in the Ram off-road package, Power Wagon, and Standard Trims with the option. And again, I'm not a brand spitter, but every brand, model, etc has their cult like following, I'm not in any. My vehicle has a primary purpose, and that is getting me from point A to B. The secondary purpose is for leisure, whether off-roading, cruising (not cool at avg 15 mpg), and working. This should do just fine. I don't like lights on the dash, so as soon as the wiper fluid light comes on, I pull off and fill it, same with any others.
Where i purchased my unit, one of my best friends is in maintenance, and unlike a lot of dealerships, they went over the factory assembly before I took off with it to make sure everything was in good order. The factories occasionally forget to clamp hoses, tighten bolts, fill fluids, connect windshield wipers, etc. Human error plays a major factor in the lemons. I feel comfortable with my purchase, if it lets me down, then I'll have a hell of a time getting out of the woods, a good story to tell, a reason to kick myself in the @ss, and it'll just be something that gets handled so it doesn't occur again. It will be free repair, at least, for the first 125k miles, though.

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

Many vehicles nowadays don't have a mechanical connection to the transmission, even if the gear selector looks traditional. The gear selector in my Mk7 GTI looks "normal" but it is fully electronic.

Dodge/RAM is using the rotary selector to free up console space. However, there have been recalls and at least one death of a semi-famous person over the design implementation.

As for reliability, I dunno. I have heard some pretty bad stories about newer RAM trucks, I would guess your chances of having any multiple of issues occur on a trail in a RAM are statistically worse than most other brands, not just the selector.

My co-worker has a 2016 Ram 3500. Beautiful truck, but always has expensive issues. However, he did buy the extended warranty and has saved him a few times. The truck has broken down twice on him while on vacation, once the turbo blew at 40k miles while pulling a pop-up trailer through a sparsely populated area in Nevada, that was a $6700 hit to his warranty, and another time his wiring harness was damaged, supposedly by a rodent, whilst he was out hunting. Couldn't get back home. This last one probably not fault of RAM. But, he just recently spent $5K to have the exhaust replaced because it rusted out and his diesel emission gear failed, he ended up doing a delete because the warranty is expired or didn't cover it.
So, his RAM left him stranded twice.

Good video about new RAM, don't buy one without the extended warranty, otherwise amazing vehicle:

ECO DIESEL - I knew better than that. I would not purchase a small diesel from the US, or certain foreign countries, they just can't get them right. The Colorado ZR2 has issues with it's little duramax. I got the hemi. Tried and true, been around for a LONG time.

Truth is, we can sit here and dig and dig, and pick every one of our rigs apart from the factory. I intend to replace the RAM suspension even though the REBEL has Bilstein all the way around, and I plan to make some very mild drive train adjustments that I have researched and deem necessary.

@SquishBang apologies for flipping your post from Nissan/Toyota to also include Ram.

Last edited:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
ECO DIESEL - I knew better than that. I would not purchase a small diesel from the US, or certain foreign countries, they just can't get them right. The Colorado ZR2 has issues with it's little duramax. I got the hemi. Tried and true, been around for a LONG time.

Truth is, we can sit here and dig and dig, and pick every one of our rigs apart from the factory. I intend to replace the RAM suspension even though the REBEL has Bilstein all the way around, and I plan to make some very mild drive train adjustments that I have researched and deem necessary.

@SquishBang apologies for flipping your post from Nissan/Toyota to also include Ram.
No worries on flipping to RAM! Totally relevant to mention other full size trucks. My buddy has a Cummins, not EcoDiesel.

I'm not bashing the RAM BTW, I had leased a 2016 GTI, my first ever "German" car (made in Mexico) and it had all kinds of nagging little issues, including a transmission failure at 20K. However, I keep saying this: It was such a fantastic car that I would own one again (well, a GolfR for the AWD) in a hot moment IF I were going to consider another lease or the extra up-front cost of a extended warranty. I do not regret that car.
I would also be happy to own a new RAM under same circumstances. We have the RAM HD trucks at work, they are way nicer than the Ford Super Duty trucks and we have had zero issues with the RAMs, but non-stop issues with the Fords (diesel issues).

As it is, I have owned my Titan for over a decade. It has been so reliable. Nissan as a brand is only so-so, but the Titan stands out as a good vehicle. The entire time I owned my GTI it went in for repairs about 7 times. My Titan has never gone in for a repair in over a decade!

When I replaced my GTI I bought a Q60, because I wanted another "long term" car that I could pay cash for, not buy a warranty extension, and keep for 10+ years like my Titan.

I'm just hoping the Gen 3 Tundra is better than the Gen 2 Tundra. There are already rumors coming from Toyota people that the new Tundra will continue to have less off-road goodies than the Tacoma, or the RAM Rebel. There's an interview on YT where a Toyota engineer admitted that they don't see a "need" for advanced off-road gear on the Tundra, but that since the Tundra and Landcruiser use the same parts they "COULD" make all of the goodies available to the Tundra if they wanted, such as crawl control and locking rear diff.

In fact, if I "really" wanted all of those goodies, I'd probably consider the RAM 2500 Power Wagon, front and rear locking diffs with disconnecting sway bar? Oh yeah!

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I looked at the Tacoma TRD Off Road for myself but couldn't really ever justify the cost of it. Although the Frontier has an older look to it, the lack of design change is what also helps keep the truck cost down. I ended up getting the Pro-4X model which is just as capable as the Tacoma TD Off Road but at a much affordable cost. 30k miles now on the truck and I have zero regrets. Its been reliable and it has taken me everywhere that my friends Tacoma's, 4runners and Jeeps have gone. I am now looking at getting a full size truck and the Titan Pro-4X is at the top of my list. For me it will come down to price if all other specs are similar.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Xterras are excellent choices for an option to a 4Runner or FJCruiser. The value is excellent.
However, I wouldn't discount the 2nd Gen Xterra as being too complicated. It's only slightly more complicated than 1st Gen and very capable with a huge boost in power. I remember renting one of them in 2004 (was a 2005 model) with the then new VQ40. Man, was I impressed by the power!

I do like the Gen 1 Xterra interior better, and the SC engine wasn't such a great improvement over the VG33 (am I right on that engine model? it's been a while!) Compared to a peer 4Runner I think they had similar on-road performance.

The Gen 2 Xterra and current frontier have horrible plastic interiors, and the orange lighting looks sickly. Somehow, when Toyota used orange lighting in their early 2000's 4Runners, it looked better, like more of a "Halloween" orange, whereas the Nissan orange looked more of a "excrement" color! Yeah, I make weird observations!
I certainly didn't discount the 2nd gens when I was shopping for mine. The major reason I ruled it out was the first 5 years had radiators that could fail and cause coolant to mix with transmission fluid, causing a very expensive fix. That, and all the ones in my price range were higher mileage, vs the 132k and excellent service history on the 2003 XE I ended up purchasing.

You're very close on the engine! I believe the designation is vg33e. The lack of power on the highway isn't an issue for me, and with 4.90 gears, causes no issues off road.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
I keep focusing on sales, because that is what drives the aftermarket. More Toyotas are sold than almost any other truck so of corse there is going to be a huge aftermarket for them Compared to other makes. Toyota also moved thier production to the US in the early 2000 to be able to compete in NASCAR and NASTRUCK series. Which helped drive up US sales as well.
Jumping in waaay late here...

While I'd love to believe you, it just isn't true. As a Ford owner myself, I do wish it were true.

Ford continues to dominate the truck market in NA year after year. Sure, there's plenty of aftermarket parts for Fords, just not in this space. The following link shows 2019 sales: Light trucks in the U.S. - best-selling models 2019 | Statista

I could post link after link about this, but we all know it's true. I really do believe this is the magic of marketing at play here. Fords are generally marketed as the family tough truck, Toyotas as rugged off road capable.

I ended up with the Ford after looking at reliability numbers and seeing that they weren't really much different from any of the others. That combined with the fact that the Tundra was/is super old and there was no small displacement option. And that hump under the rear seat??? Why? lol Also, a big deciding factor was price. I looked at all 5 brands when I bought. While the Toyota and Ford were similarly priced, I got 10K off sticker on the Ford. Also, I had the new vehicle bug, which I've never been patient with. I just wanted a truck and the Ford checked the boxes at the time.

That being said... I'm new to this space, and if I had to do it again, I might go for the Toyota. I might have had to wait for a sale or something, but there's no substitute for that V8 sound (though I do love the 2.7), the after market stuff available, and things like mounting a winch (something i didn't think would be a problem until after I purchased).

dpurdy85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Purdy
Member #

While growing up my parents had many fords, dodge, and a Chevy. Everything had problems when I was growing till they bought a T4R. Needless to say when I was able to buy something I bought a Tacoma and later on a 350z. Tacoma was awesome! 350z was good but it started eating oil.

Ended up with a 2014 Tundra and wanted a 6speed Tacoma and got a 2016. Hated the 3.5 because it feels like no low end tq but the 6speed helped compared to the 4.0 in previous Tacoma’s. Had 3 Tacoma’s total. Very reliable trucks though.

Still have my 2014 Tundra and been beating the crap out of it in Death Valley, Mojave, Bald Mountain, parts of the Rubicon, and other trials in NorCal as well as my daily driver to work. Installed MCM Midtravel suspension with ADS Triple bypass shocks up front and in rear with Deaver U748’s leafs and rids amazing. Have 129k now and just doing normal Maintenance. Gets me home every time. Love RAM’s interior but I’d never buy one specially since Fiat took over of them. Raptor has a great suspension setup from factory, but I believe I got something just as good if not better with all most 14in of travel without going LT for far less $$$ than a raptor

A0F4E818-C24F-412D-BEA5-E639B2DA34FE.jpeg6AF1BBC6-C029-49F5-90AE-8A906216D4EE.jpegACD1F71D-39F1-4883-80FB-4DD6CA9F44BC.jpeg89549F23-197D-418F-BFD5-774433DDBE32.jpegE62C0998-DBE3-4ED4-95E0-EE95669F184E.jpeg1B29E914-7361-4302-BB00-72E92B7F431C.jpegF1F5472A-C178-4AAC-AFD6-BC38142508EA.jpeg

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I think it's beginning to get a bit more "clear" to me.

Out of the factory, a Tundra isn't any better than a Titan.

However, it seems there is much more aftermarket support, especially in the suspension department.

A big hang up for me, you have a fancy suspension and all, but why doesn't Toyota offer a locking rear diff?

Hopefully Toyota will offer a locker on the Gen3 Tundra. I'd buy one in a minute!

Reactions: dpurdy85

dpurdy85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Purdy
Member #

I think it's beginning to get a bit more "clear" to me.

Out of the factory, a Tundra isn't any better than a Titan.

However, it seems there is much more aftermarket support, especially in the suspension department.

A big hang up for me, you have a fancy suspension and all, but why doesn't Toyota offer a locking rear diff?

Hopefully Toyota will offer a locker on the Gen3 Tundra. I'd buy one in a minute!
I doubt you will ever see a Tundra with a locker from the factory, but that's ok. ARB has you covered and if you end up modifying your truck with larger tires you might as well re-gear. There's your chance to install the locker or even a true LSD. Aside from more aftermarket support compared to the Titian, I'd take the Tundra's drivetrain over a Titian. For example the 10.5in rear end.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I doubt you will ever see a Tundra with a locker from the factory, but that's ok. ARB has you covered and if you end up modifying your truck with larger tires you might as well re-gear. There's your chance to install the locker or even a true LSD. Aside from more aftermarket support compared to the Titian, I'd take the Tundra's drivetrain over a Titian. For example the 10.5in rear end.
Hopefully the 10.5 makes it to the Gen3 Tundra

Reactions: dpurdy85