Launch Member

Contributor II

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Molly
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Any frontier owners having issues with their belt tensioner squealing? I’ve had to replace mine twice now and I’m only at 35K!

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Not with my old '08, and not with my current '19. Still under warranty?

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Any rubber dust/shavings? if so something misaligned. A washer behind my alternator shimmed mine back inline and fixed repeated belt squeal. That was on a Cummins Diesel I installed in a old Chevy 4X4 though. Is the close or far side of the belt shiny?

Spray of most sorts will quiet it of course, but a bad bearing might also cause alignment issue and squeal. And too tight belt tension cause issues in time. But that was usually cured with a spring style unit.

I know its tight in there, but a ruler or straight edge accross the pulleys can give you some idea of the surface plane of the pulley's.

Good luck!

Reactions: outsidesleep

outsidesleep

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Molly
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I ended up taking the truck to the Nissan dealership. They replaced the tensioner and the belt. It was a little over $200. The truck is running nice and quiet now.

Reactions: Things

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

Just had mine replaced at 59K .... it's a consumable, so I'm of the camp to replace both the belt and tensioner every 30k needed or not. Twice in 35k seems excessive?

kcTrek19

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

massachusetts
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Sorber
Member #

Just had mine replaced at 59K .... it's a consumable, so I'm of the camp to replace both the belt and tensioner every 30k needed or not. Twice in 35k seems excessive?
I would say twice in 35k is excessive. Did you do oem or aftermarket? It's hard without me looking your rig over but that does seem odd. Although a few people on here seem to have an issue like yours. Leads me to believe an issue in manufacturing

kcTrek19

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

massachusetts
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Sorber
Member #

Dang that's crazy. Wonder if there are different parts numbers for a superseded updated tensioner. I'm praying for you ❤❤❤