Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
News stories like this need to headline every news outlet in North America. Maybe if stories like this were imprinted upon the minds of every American, this nonsense would come to an abrupt halt. I’m hoping they are fined the maximum penalty, banned for life from every public land and pay stiff restitution costs along with Impounding the vehicles, 100,000 in fines and maybe 30 days in the poky. If every American saw this on their news feed, then maybe the nonsense would stop. I’m hoping folks from all organizations from the Sierra Club to the BRC will utilize their attorneys to submit a brief to the court outlining why these idiots should have the proverbial book thrown at them. Then, make the crime, judgement and penalties headline news on every outlet. Getting the message out is the hurdle. What can we do to make something like this headline news? I’ll be calling my local NPR stations and my local networks in an attempt. I’m just a guy with very little clout, but I’ll be giving it my best shot in the new year. Check it out

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’m sure glad you aren’t king! So, beyond being idiots, what you propose is to punish them BEYOND the limits of the law. Fortunately, we don’t live in that kind of country. The article clearly states they were cited and will be fined, indicating some very large unknown amount. You want to place them in a stockade too? If you aren’t happy with the outcome, how about contacting your representatives and telling them the fines and punishment are not high enough. Otherwise, as you indicate it would certainly be good to demonstrate to others that this type of behavior is not acceptable. However, I think this article does that. Besides, there will always be people breaking the law. Have you seen what’s been going on in the country lately? People are getting away with burning down buildings with little to no punishment (recent riots). So, for driving in some mud you want to lock them up and throw away the key? Yeah, that seems fair.

Reactions: MidOH

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
News stories like this need to headline every news outlet in North America. Maybe if stories like this were imprinted upon the minds of every American, this nonsense would come to an abrupt halt. I’m hoping they are fined the maximum penalty, banned for life from every public land and pay stiff restitution costs along with Impounding the vehicles, 100,000 in fines and maybe 30 days in the poky. If every American saw this on their news feed, then maybe the nonsense would stop. I’m hoping folks from all organizations from the Sierra Club to the BRC will utilize their attorneys to submit a brief to the court outlining why these idiots should have the proverbial book thrown at them. Then, make the crime, judgement and penalties headline news on every outlet. Getting the message out is the hurdle. What can we do to make something like this headline news? I’ll be calling my local NPR stations and my local networks in an attempt. I’m just a guy with very little clout, but I’ll be giving it my best shot in the new year. Check it out
ROFL

They got stuck in mud. Not like they ran over the last Mexican Grey wolf in North America. The NPS charges will be over the top as it is.

Reactions: Marauder_e889c1

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m sure glad you aren’t king! So, beyond being idiots, what you propose is to punish them BEYOND the limits of the law. Fortunately, we don’t live in that kind of country. The article clearly states they were cited and will be fined, indicating some very large unknown amount. You want to place them in a stockade too? If you aren’t happy with the outcome, how about contacting your representatives and telling them the fines and punishment are not high enough. Otherwise, as you indicate it would certainly be good to demonstrate to others that this type of behavior is not acceptable. However, I think this article does that. Besides, there will always be people breaking the law. Have you seen what’s been going on in the country lately? People are getting away with burning down buildings with little to no punishment (recent riots). So, for driving in some mud you want to lock them up and throw away the key? Yeah, that seems fair.
Thats not at all what I said. I said maximum penalties, which do include impounding the vehicle, banning them from public lands paying stiff penalties and restitution for the time and trouble of using our tax dollars to fix it all. My point was, and you seemed to have missed that entirely, was that this kind of news should be headline news on every outlet. Ya, we in the hobby see it, but we must go looking for it. It needs to be on the " evening news" so that it is, so everyone, in the hobby or not, understands the seriousness and the ensuing penalties for going off trail . The protests and riots of 20 have nothing to do with this, if you'd like that to be so, then I've a plethora of facts regarding sentencing of rioters that were engaged in property damage. If you want to continue having public lands closed down because of the idiots then we can, as a group continue to feed information to only ourselves and hope that works.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Any punishment must fit the crime. A crime requires an injured party. What crime do you think was committed here, Moak?
The crime was traveling off of established vehicle trails on public lands. In this case a National Park. The injured party is, the tax payer footing the bill of extraction, clean up & restoration. The secondary injured party is us and anyone else that enjoys access to public lands by vehicle. One tool we have, as a group, to keep access open , is to encourage enforcement, encourage stiff fines and penalties and to make very public examples of offenders and the penalties imposed.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I removed my entire rant because I cant yell at people who have no knowledge.

Get out there and get involved in keeping these places open. Don't criticize unless you've stood in front of a board of people who are trying to get an area shut down for lesser "crime". If your not willing to do that then don't comment on land closures or what will lead to more closures.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The only reason the taxpayers suffer is because they are extorted by government to fund these parks, whether they visit or not. I would expect compulsory funding to also provide for occasional recoveries and grounds maintenance.

I do agree that the only appropriate use of an area is responsible use, but these days it feels like we're going to lose it all no matter how well we behave.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I didn't read the article, but nobody died so stuff like that rarely gets past niche news (offroad magazines, Facebook, etc). Shoot when I was at EJS someone's rig fell off the Moab Rim and killed 2 people, made it's rounds in the Jeep community but nowhere else.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I cant yell at people who have no knowledge.
yeah, i get that, too
reminds me of a time when a buddy of mine was at the house visiting with me and chain smoking. he kept flicking his butts out into my yard and after a number of times, i asked him if he realized that im going to run over the butts with my mower and im going to have a bunch of puffed up filters all over that will look like crap and not dissentigrate. im going to have to pick them up. he was a good friend and didnt mean any harm, but the blank stare he gave me let me know that he was clueless and seemed hurt that i said something to him. i honestly dont think that most folk think beyond themselves and they certainly dont think beyond that little snapshot of time that is the immediate present...no thoughts or concerns about how what they do affects the future or other people.
its like yelling at a dog for messing on the carpet an hour after it happens...youre going to get that blank confused stare and them wondering what YOUR problem is for being upset

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

..i honestly dont think that most folk think beyond themselves and they certainly dont think beyond that little snapshot of time that is the immediate present...no thoughts or concerns about how what they do affects the future or other people.
That I can agree with. Social media has really helped with that. Feed people what they want.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Love it. Wish they would start going through social media and investigate all the ass clowns doing whatever they want on national or state lands for YouTube or “The Gram”.

Reactions: grubworm

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Wow, max fines, jail time, re-education, public shaming... really?

You sound like a little like an authoritarian, a facist, Marxist-Leninist with this viewpoint..

He's TROLLING. Don't fall into it. Let his feed die out like his beliefs.

DocAldo. Sine Pari..

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
You sound like a little like an authoritarian, a facist, Marxist-Leninist with this viewpoint..
@MOAK has been a member on here over 8 years and has close to 2400 posts. if you were to take the time and effort to educate yourself by reading his other posts, you should logically come to a different conclusion.

but where is the enjoyment in that, right?

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Where are you from.in Lousiana?? I've been down there once or twice. Had a soldier, several actually, always talking about crayfish fests... lol, I'm originally from NC..

Saw this old black dude stuck in the mud, I was traveling from Fort Sam Houston to Fort Bragg on the I10.

Man, this old dude and I mean old, like the late 70s early 80s standing there. No one stopping to help..

It was just before Shreavport sp?

I looped back around and pulled up in my old Bronco 70s old school.

Aircraft tie down chain in place, 4wheel low, man this dudes car was a WHALE.. and buried to the frame. He had that suction thingies going on.. man, that Bronci had huge cajonies pulled him right out.

At Fort Stewart GA, different Stott, goifing off with a friend. We were on this big tank trail (red Georga mud trail) raining. No shit there was a hurricane coming up the coast. There thos massive water puddle building up on the shoulder.. well, you know what we did and what a mistake it was..

I turned that 77 Bronci into a U-Bout, listing right the water ran in OVER the window.. we bailed out, I jumped it miles to a hard ball, found a pay phone, and called a wrecker.

By now the rain is pouring, the winds are kicking, the Bronco ran but was stuck to the ground and wouldn't budge.

The dude in the truck shows up just staring, surely thinking what an idiot.

I asked what it was gonna cost, he said it depends on how wet he had to get.. so I did the scuba work, under the water hooking the chains to the axle.

He lowered the bed to the ground. I got in and put it into reverse. The second it budged, I backed right out.

I was never able to get those Red clay stains off of the engine or under the hood and wheel wails..

Lol, alit remained a chosrant reminder of my stupidity and foolishness.

Reactions: Marauder_e889c1
Status
Not open for further replies.