Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
IMG_0404.JPG The Lolo Motorway (NF500) follows the Lewis and Clark trail across Idaho. There is numerous historical markers along the route to stop and brush up on your history. We traveled the trail west to east. There is one section that is rocky, and could be intimidating to some, but it's pretty easy. Stock rigs won't have much of a problem. I don't know what the road is like when it is wet, but it gets pretty dusty in dry weather.
I chose to take Hwy 11 from Greer ID west to Weippe I'd. The Hwy turns north in Weippe, but continue straight onto Musselshell Rd. Musselshell Rd will wind around until it changes into 100, then into Lolo Creek. NF500 is just to the north of the Lolo Creek Campground. We spent the next two days exploring the Motorway. The only other traffic we saw were other overlanders on motorcycles.
There is dispersed camping all along the route. Some even have primitive rest rooms. Rocky Rigde campground has nice picnic tables and a stellar view. There are numerous side trips along the way, all of them have spectacular views. We found our campsite on one such side trip. The lookout on Castle Butte has a fire lookout to rent for the night, (contact recreation.gov for info) and a few dispersed spots. One spot is a hunting camp, it is on the west side and a short way from the trail. We chose to sleep along the road so we could get to the lookout for sunrise. (Pics to come).
There is a very nice campsite on NF588, on a small lake. We decided to drive 588 to the end and we're not disappointed. I believe it is 4 miles to the end. And plan on stopping at Indian Postoffice, another great lunch spot. We were low on gas, so we took NF569 out to Lochsa Lodge. Then over the Pass and into Missoula MT. I have already bought gas cans and holders for next time!
I would plan on three or four days to do it again. The Magruder could be added in as well.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Great write-up ! And thanks for sharing all the pictures! I can't wait to run both of these, Lolo and Maagruder,in July.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm planning a loop through the Magruder and Lolo motorway this summer, i'm looking at taking my small expedition trailer along. I'm proficient at backing up a trailer if I meet someone along the trail, but I wanted to see if there are any issues along this route with a small trailer? Tight corners that could make it difficult to maneuver around? Thanks.

Justin

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I'm planning a loop through the Magruder and Lolo motorway this summer, i'm looking at taking my small expedition trailer along. I'm proficient at backing up a trailer if I meet someone along the trail, but I wanted to see if there are any issues along this route with a small trailer? Tight corners that could make it difficult to maneuver around? Thanks.

Justin
Are you going with the NWOL group? There isn't really much to worry about with a trailer. We saw some kids with a 18' car trailer. lol! I wouldn't want to pull that through though. The corners are not bad. You'll be fine.

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Are you going with the NWOL group? There isn't really much to worry about with a trailer. We saw some kids with a 18' car trailer. lol! I wouldn't want to pull that through though. The corners are not bad. You'll be fine.
No, a friend and I are planning a mid-week trip for later this summer to try and minimize the amount of people we see on the trail. I figured the Magruder would be fine for the trailer but I wasn't sure about the Lolo motorway. Thanks.

Justin

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I took a spin a bit farther behind the cabin today for recon on my shortcut to MT tomorrow. Only went to about 4500 elevation and no snow, but the amount of blow down and slides is more than I've seen. Lolo CG @ rds 100/500 has been open for over a month with falling rocks. The Federales are chipping away at the main rds, so some are closed weekdays till 3. There's a 4' dia cedar that fell into some small trees 2 miles from the cabin and leaning over the road, that'll be a fun time trying to remove when she falls.
I'll check again next week and I'll definitely have a saw on my rig for the NWOL run in July.

pacificnorthtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for the good write up on this! I'll be traveling from Seattle to Missoula in May for a family member's graduation, and found this post on the motorway.
My initial plan would be to get a full day of freeway/highway driving down to Lolo Creek Campground, stay a night there, then plan two days/one night on the motorway and on to 12 in to Missoula.

Just need to finally invest in my bear spray before May in case someone wants to join me and the dog in my RTT!

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE

Justin
No problem we had a Chevy avalanche pulling a mobi1 teardrop and they went both Lolo and magruder.

Steve Marchiando
North Idaho

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Thanks for the good write up on this! I'll be traveling from Seattle to Missoula in May for a family member's graduation, and found this post on the motorway.
My initial plan would be to get a full day of freeway/highway driving down to Lolo Creek Campground, stay a night there, then plan two days/one night on the motorway and on to 12 in to Missoula.

Just need to finally invest in my bear spray before May in case someone wants to join me and the dog in my RTT!
Chances are pretty slim you're going to get farther than Canyon Junction in May; MAYBE Pete Forks CG. I can usually get up to Rocky Ridge Lake by mid June in easy winters. This year is an average winter with 126%of average snowpack. I live five miles from the Lolo Creek CG, and while I can get down to the spring, there is still a decent amount of snow on the pavement. I'll probably start driving up the 500 rd to Canyon Jct the beginning of April and start scouting.

Bears usually aren't a problem until the huckleberries pop out; seem to chase motorcycles a bit more. They really don't like being near dogs. So many guys run hounds up here, they tend to scatter.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I was wondering if going through in May was possible. I want to take another trip there, spend a few days this time. Thanks for the update, @britz

pacificnorthtaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chances are pretty slim you're going to get farther than Canyon Junction in May; MAYBE Pete Forks CG. I can usually get up to Rocky Ridge Lake by mid June in easy winters. This year is an average winter with 126%of average snowpack. I live five miles from the Lolo Creek CG, and while I can get down to the spring, there is still a decent amount of snow on the pavement. I'll probably start driving up the 500 rd to Canyon Jct the beginning of April and start scouting.

Bears usually aren't a problem until the huckleberries pop out; seem to chase motorcycles a bit more. They really don't like being near dogs. So many guys run hounds up here, they tend to scatter.
Cheers on this information!

I'll keep all of this in mind as I near May for the trip. Either way - it seems like there's a lot of fun stuff along 12, I'm excited to spend a couple days exploring this area.

Reactions: britz