Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

Bought a 2022 TRD Pro 4Runner and I have a Westcott Rack on order, a Roam Vagabond Rooftop Tent, and my wife and I are wondering what is the next overlanding purchase we need to do.

Thought about a Garmin in reach, power station, molle panels, or front bumper with winch and lights.

As you can tell, most of these are costly and we could use some tips to navigate.

We have most items to camp because I had loads of backpack gear, but I want to start getting vehicle items.

What would be your picks?

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
You have a great start with the tent and camping gear, and the 4 runner is a capable rig off the factory floor. I always put safety at the top of my list, First Aid, Recovery, and communications are paramount on all of our rigs. The amount and type of those are dependent on how and where you plan on travelling. For us we are often travelling solo, and far from cell service, so a HAM or GMRS radio and a Garmin InReach are in the rig, Tow strap/recovery rope, shovel and traction boards go everywhere. A winch is great on solo trips if you can afford one, but many travel without them successfully.

I suggest after that you just run the rig for a while and see how it works for you. Then you can add in nice to haves down the road. If your not careful this lifestyle can empty your pockets at a rapid rate... speaking from experience..lol

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I'll second OTH's recommendation to run the rig for a while to get an idea what you may need. You'll go through these forums or a local 4x4 Expo and want everything you see, but after a while you settle on the essentials.

I crossed Colorado (via the #COBDR) and part of Utah with a stock TRD Off Road (which I believe is a bit lower than your Pro). I would've loved to have sliders on it, but the lead time made it impossible. Turns out I didn't really need them (I'll be getting them this year). My stock running boards never hit anything. My off-brand Max Trax stayed firmly attached to my roof rack. I did use my tire repair kit once and my tool bag (the oil filter access panel got sheared off), and my air compressor and In/Deflate hose.

Next purchases for me (and -most importantly- for my style of off-roading/overlanding) are rock-sliders for protection, front skid-plate (I don't have or plan to get a lift, so I'd rather have a bit more protection), radio (I have hand-held GMRS but plan to get an on-board model with longer range), Garmin InReach or similar. Debating on whether I need a Garmin Tread or if I can live with my iPad and a portable InReach, and maybe a Fridge/Power combo.

Things I get a lot of use out of: my WaterPort (it's great for beach days, washing dishes in camp or putting out fires - not to mention the occasional shower), side molle panels on the rear windows (flashlights, fire extinguishers, bungees, fishing stuff), Prinsu rack.

Another reason for waiting/thinking about purchases... you don't want to buy the wrong thing and then spend twice to get the model you should have ;-) Buy once Cry once rule is written in the blood of many of our wallets.

Most importantly, enjoy your rig and get whatever you want for it - not what we tell you to ;-)

Reactions: BayouOverlander

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

You have a great start with the tent and camping gear, and the 4 runner is a capable rig off the factory floor. I always put safety at the top of my list, First Aid, Recovery, and communications are paramount on all of our rigs. The amount and type of those are dependent on how and where you plan on travelling. For us we are often travelling solo, and far from cell service, so a HAM or GMRS radio and a Garmin InReach are in the rig, Tow strap/recovery rope, shovel and traction boards go everywhere. A winch is great on solo trips if you can afford one, but many travel without them successfully.

I suggest after that you just run the rig for a while and see how it works for you. Then you can add in nice to haves down the road. If your not careful this lifestyle can empty your pockets at a rapid rate... speaking from experience..lol
Sorry for the late reply. Still figuring out how to navigate this app lol.

Not sure what I said in the initial post, I’ll have to read it again, but I do have a recovery strap and two GMRS radios. I hate the battery life. They are the GXT Pros.

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

I'll second OTH's recommendation to run the rig for a while to get an idea what you may need. You'll go through these forums or a local 4x4 Expo and want everything you see, but after a while you settle on the essentials.

I crossed Colorado (via the #COBDR) and part of Utah with a stock TRD Off Road (which I believe is a bit lower than your Pro). I would've loved to have sliders on it, but the lead time made it impossible. Turns out I didn't really need them (I'll be getting them this year). My stock running boards never hit anything. My off-brand Max Trax stayed firmly attached to my roof rack. I did use my tire repair kit once and my tool bag (the oil filter access panel got sheared off), and my air compressor and In/Deflate hose.

Next purchases for me (and -most importantly- for my style of off-roading/overlanding) are rock-sliders for protection, front skid-plate (I don't have or plan to get a lift, so I'd rather have a bit more protection), radio (I have hand-held GMRS but plan to get an on-board model with longer range), Garmin InReach or similar. Debating on whether I need a Garmin Tread or if I can live with my iPad and a portable InReach, and maybe a Fridge/Power combo.

Things I get a lot of use out of: my WaterPort (it's great for beach days, washing dishes in camp or putting out fires - not to mention the occasional shower), side molle panels on the rear windows (flashlights, fire extinguishers, bungees, fishing stuff), Prinsu rack.

Another reason for waiting/thinking about purchases... you don't want to buy the wrong thing and then spend twice to get the model you should have ;-) Buy once Cry once rule is written in the blood of many of our wallets.

Most importantly, enjoy your rig and get whatever you want for it - not what we tell you to ;-)

Exactly. Buy once, cry once.

I do want several things in addition to the Westcott Rack and tent. I want to store traction boards, Jerry cans or those flat tanks that attach with that twist lock, an ARB dual compressor with a second battery, a switch pro 8 kit, molle panels for the inside with shelf, a fridge/freezer, and maybe a drawer system.

My wife and I did go to the Moore Expo a couple weekends ago and I truly saw what the 4Runner is capable of.

One thing that confuses me is EXACTLY how the Switch Pro kit installs and how EXACTLY you run things to it. The kit online seems to be missing something and the guys on YT seem to have tons added to the install that cloud how my understanding of what the stock kit comes with.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

I do want several things in addition to the Westcott Rack and tent. I want to store traction boards, Jerry cans or those flat tanks that attach with that twist lock, an ARB dual compressor with a second battery, a switch pro 8 kit, molle panels for the inside with shelf, a fridge/freezer, and maybe a drawer system.

My wife and I did go to the Moore Expo a couple weekends ago and I truly saw what the 4Runner is capable of.

One thing that confuses me is EXACTLY how the Switch Pro kit installs and how EXACTLY you run things to it. The kit online seems to be missing something and the guys on YT seem to have tons added to the install that cloud how my understanding of what the stock kit comes with.
I am in the middle of installing a Switch Pro 9100 in my JKU, This is the third one I have installed into a build, and I love them (Well mostly love them, as the android app that comes with it is marginal at best, however I only use that for programming, and don't remotly control it with my phone. Can't speak to the I-Phone app). I have had the same one in my Ram for several years with no issues. They are fairly simple to install, and are really great if you are just controlling lights and other accesories outside of the cab since it places all the wiring under the hood, with only one cable coming into the actual switch panel. Saves a bunch of headache running multiple wires thru the cockpit. Four of the switches are 20 amp, and four are 35 amp. Everything is provided in the kit except for the wiring from the various devices back to the unit. Even comes with all the butt connectors and wire taps you need to hook it all up. one four conductor wire harness connects to ground, ignition source, parking lights, and an optional trigger source (you can connect that to something like your high beams, and then program it to turn on one or more devices like driving lights when you activate your high beams) The other harness has a bunch of wires (1 each for the 20 amp circuits, and 2 each for the 35 amp circuits) you simply connect each of these to the eight devices you want to control, the manual shows you which color wire is connected to which switch.

After you have everything wired you can program each switch through the panel or app to work the way you want it too. Some of the options incude, on/off (with ignition on or off) momentary, flashing, dimmed. You can set delay off, turn off with low battery etc. The panel comes with a bunch of labels for the switches for most any device you are connecting and some blank ones you can install over switches that are not used so the backlight does not blind you. It can be mounted horizontal or vertical, and there are a few mounting options available from aftermarket sources, SDHQ Built Switch Pros Mounts | Toyota has a bunch of options for mounting, and all else fails 67 designs has a mount for thier arm system that can be set up for most any location.

There are a lot of wires coming out of the main unit, and it can seem intimidaing , but the directions are pretty clear, and if you take your time to keep the wiring neat it goes quickly and is straight forward. Finished install works fantastic and takes up very little space in the cab.

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

I am in the middle of installing a Switch Pro 9100 in my JKU, This is the third one I have installed into a build, and I love them (Well mostly love them, as the android app that comes with it is marginal at best, however I only use that for programming, and don't remotly control it with my phone. Can't speak to the I-Phone app). I have had the same one in my Ram for several years with no issues. They are fairly simple to install, and are really great if you are just controlling lights and other accesories outside of the cab since it places all the wiring under the hood, with only one cable coming into the actual switch panel. Saves a bunch of headache running multiple wires thru the cockpit. Four of the switches are 20 amp, and four are 35 amp. Everything is provided in the kit except for the wiring from the various devices back to the unit. Even comes with all the butt connectors and wire taps you need to hook it all up. one four conductor wire harness connects to ground, ignition source, parking lights, and an optional trigger source (you can connect that to something like your high beams, and then program it to turn on one or more devices like driving lights when you activate your high beams) The other harness has a bunch of wires (1 each for the 20 amp circuits, and 2 each for the 35 amp circuits) you simply connect each of these to the eight devices you want to control, the manual shows you which color wire is connected to which switch.

After you have everything wired you can program each switch through the panel or app to work the way you want it too. Some of the options incude, on/off (with ignition on or off) momentary, flashing, dimmed. You can set delay off, turn off with low battery etc. The panel comes with a bunch of labels for the switches for most any device you are connecting and some blank ones you can install over switches that are not used so the backlight does not blind you. It can be mounted horizontal or vertical, and there are a few mounting options available from aftermarket sources, SDHQ Built Switch Pros Mounts | Toyota has a bunch of options for mounting, and all else fails 67 designs has a mount for thier arm system that can be set up for most any location.

There are a lot of wires coming out of the main unit, and it can seem intimidaing , but the directions are pretty clear, and if you take your time to keep the wiring neat it goes quickly and is straight forward. Finished install works fantastic and takes up very little space in the cab.

Wiring isn’t intimidating to me as long as I know where it is supposed to go.

When I was pulling up the kit, the “out of box” view was just not seeming to show me everything. Or that I just didn’t see the full picture. I’m more of a hands on type.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

When I was pulling up the kit, the “out of box” view was just not seeming to show me everything. Or that I just didn’t see the full picture. I’m more of a hands on type.
This picture shows pretty much everything except for the legends and a bunch of connectors. Did you see the downloadable manual at the swtich pros website? https://www.switchpros.com//wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SP9100-Rev1.2-Directions.pdf

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

This picture shows pretty much everything except for the legends and a bunch of connectors. Did you see the downloadable manual at the swtich pros website? https://www.switchpros.com//wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SP9100-Rev1.2-Directions.pdf

I just did and it made it look so much easier. That being said, I think I would be able to do the 8 switch pack and not the 10. I’m trying to hold out on buying lights and things that need 12v power until I get this module. I would like to buy this module, a set of fogs and a set of rock lights for illumination at the same time so I’m not installing it for nothing.

Peanuts

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Cravalho
Member #

You have some worthy upgrades on your list. I add things that make your rig more reliable, and protected. Skid plates, upgraded battery, tires, navigation, lighting. 4runners are so much fun to upgrade.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
#1 on my list would be a winch, especially if you solo travel. In reach, navigation app or something like a Garmin Overlander would be a great addition. Taller tires, skids, and lighting.

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

You have some worthy upgrades on your list. I add things that make your rig more reliable, and protected. Skid plates, upgraded battery, tires, navigation, lighting. 4runners are so much fun to upgrade.
Wife wants an in reach. I’m not sure what model I want, but spending that sort of money, I want a do it all. Maybe a bigger model. What do you suggest? For the lights, I’m waiting on my roof rack and really waiting on getting the aforementioned switch pro. I will get some KC Flex 3’s for the cowl and Flex 4s for the bumper whenever that gets on.

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

#1 on my list would be a winch, especially if you solo travel. In reach, navigation app or something like a Garmin Overlander would be a great addition. Taller tires, skids, and lighting.

Winch is waiting on me buying a bumper. That’s something I’m still researching as far as weight. I don’t want to get into the suspension heavily. I want a C4 Fab or similar low profile bumper for the light bar and winch. Just don’t know how much all that weighs.

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
Defiantly rock sliders, the factory steps are no match for real ones. Wait times can be long but if you are willing to powder coat or paint them yourself 4X Innovations has them in stock now but ship bare metal. Just a thought.

BayouOverlander

Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

Defiantly rock sliders, the factory steps are no match for real ones. Wait times can be long but if you are willing to powder coat or paint them yourself 4X Innovations has them in stock now but ship bare metal. Just a thought.
Have a link?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love my in reach SE+, I held off for years, I have a 80 year old father and need to stay in contact with so I picked one up when Costco has a deal on the them. I am very impressed.

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Winch is waiting on me buying a bumper. That’s something I’m still researching as far as weight. I don’t want to get into the suspension heavily. I want a C4 Fab or similar low profile bumper for the light bar and winch. Just don’t know how much all that weighs.
I'm assuming you have a Taco, take a look at the RRW hidden winch mount, mounts winch behind the fascia and is the lightest option. Something like this weights in at around 120-140lbs with winch.