Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA
First Name
Marnie
Last Name
Webb
Member #

Hello all,

I’m a long time car camper. With the recent acquisition of a 1996 Isuzu Trooper, I’ve decided to up my game to overlanding.

The Trooper is very stock. When I first got it, I did an array of repairs and preventive maintenance. That included getting tires, which I bought on the way home from buying the car. They were in such lousy condition I was happy they got me five miles.

I wasn’t thinking and put light truck and not all-terrain tires on. Now, I’m trying to figure out if I should replace them. I won’t wear thru them for years.

I anticipate my off road driving being mainly fire road, some mud, and beach sand. Nothing too hardcore.

Do you think the light truck tires (Mesa from Big O) will serve or should I get a better tire?

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Robert Jordan

megacabcummins

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Marysville, WA
Member #

I would run those tires and see what they can do, I've seen Subaru's go pretty dang far on tires with less traction than those. If you find yourself passing the limits of the tire then look into upgrading, for now I would run them and see what your rig is capable of it will probably surprise you.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I don't spend nearly as much time off pavement as I would like, and I wouldn't consider myself experienced. But, over half of the time I have spent off pavement has been on street tires. I wasn't on rough gravel, and I wasn't rock crawling, and it was fine. I have also learned a lot about tire pressure, and throttle control to help with traction as a result. Tougher tires are better, and I wouldn't take thin street tires onto rough sharp gravel. But if you've got decent tires on there now, take them out, air down a little and drive slowly and carefully. Don't mob over rough trails at high speed, and don't abuse the tires, and be careful about scrubbing sidewalls on sharp objects that could puncture or tear them. Also pay attention to your tires before and after trips, and monitor damage or increased wear that will probably occur from taking street tires offroad.

Everything I just said is exactly what I'm doing with my current rig, not because its my preference, but because I'm in a similar position to you. I don't do heavy offroading where ONLY a heavier tire would work, and Ive got very decent tires that came with the rig when I bought it earlier this year. I don't love the thought of throwing them away, so we're putting miles on them, and I'll upgrade tires next year, or whenever I slice one open. Whichever happens first .

A little piece of me hopes I slice one open so that I can justify "HAVING" to upgrade sooner though

Reactions: Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I would definitely run the Mesa tire for a bit and see how they work for you. You may be pleasantly surprised or you may come to despise them. I myself have just ordered a set of the Cooper Discoverer ST tires. They are technically a commercial truck tire with an aggressive AT pattern but they have an incredible life span to them. I can foresee them doing quite well for me. I have attached a picture of these tires so you can see what I am rambling on about.

Reactions: Webb

TreadHead Garage

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Member #

I have always said you should never cheap out on tires or underwear, a failure of either is a bad day.

Id personally like either the Cooper At3 for lighter overland rigs, its an AT with great highway manners but still got a decent tread to get you down an average trail.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I have been extremely pleased with my WildPeak AT3/W for all conditions.

I believe I paid about $500 (traded factory tires for another $300) with installation on my 2017 Ram 1500 from a local place. They are snowflake rated too.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using OB Talk mobile app

Webb

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA
First Name
Marnie
Last Name
Webb
Member #

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems the opinions are pretty split -- I should upgrade the tires vs. use them for a bit and see what works and what doesn't. The second option is, of course, the least expensive (for now anyway).

I might look around and see if I can get a deal on trading these tires in/selling them. They don't even have 200 miles on them yet.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I don't spend nearly as much time off pavement as I would like, and I wouldn't consider myself experienced. But, over half of the time I have spent off pavement has been on street tires. I wasn't on rough gravel, and I wasn't rock crawling, and it was fine. I have also learned a lot about tire pressure, and throttle control to help with traction as a result. Tougher tires are better, and I wouldn't take thin street tires onto rough sharp gravel. But if you've got decent tires on there now, take them out, air down a little and drive slowly and carefully. Don't mob over rough trails at high speed, and don't abuse the tires, and be careful about scrubbing sidewalls on sharp objects that could puncture or tear them. Also pay attention to your tires before and after trips, and monitor damage or increased wear that will probably occur from taking street tires offroad.

Everything I just said is exactly what I'm doing with my current rig, not because its my preference, but because I'm in a similar position to you. I don't do heavy offroading where ONLY a heavier tire would work, and Ive got very decent tires that came with the rig when I bought it earlier this year. I don't love the thought of throwing them away, so we're putting miles on them, and I'll upgrade tires next year, or whenever I slice one open. Whichever happens first .

A little piece of me hopes I slice one open so that I can justify "HAVING" to upgrade sooner though

@f250ben has the wisdom if you decide to keep them. The big deal for most of the type of tires that you have is sidewall toughness, not traction. You want to understand what changing your tire pressures can do for you in different situations for traction. You can slice open a tire like yours fairly easily, especially at decreased pressures, so monitor them compared to the type of trails you like, and like Ben, "IF" you should happen to damage one beyond repair, first have a good spare to get you home, then upgrade to a tire meant to take on the type of trails you drive.
Also, as you get in to the hobby more, your trails may increase in difficulty so this becomes more of a critical aspect with the tires you have.

My vote: Run'em until you decide they don't work for you anymore.

FWIW. Dan.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems the opinions are pretty split -- I should upgrade the tires vs. use them for a bit and see what works and what doesn't. The second option is, of course, the least expensive (for now anyway).

I might look around and see if I can get a deal on trading these tires in/selling them. They don't even have 200 miles on them yet.

Random thought. If you’re planning on upgrading wheels as well, then you can actually get more money for good brand new tires combined with good condition OEM rims.

If you are NOT planning on upgrading rims, this probably isn’t worth it. You’d still end up spending more money. But if you are, and the tires are as new as you say, this is a different approach that might work.

Otherwise everything I said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The trooper is a serious bit of kit A classic All depends were your going A PREMIUM set off skins will up your game even further You live in the counrty with some of the best off road tracks in the world You wont go far wrong with
Hankook AT
COOPER AT
but for me its BF GOODRITCH K2 on and off road tracks and sand learn were and when to deflate And your sorted OUTFIT AND ,!!!!!!!

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Run them! No point spending money on something that might not even be a thing.
Plus troopers are rad.