Launch Member

Enthusiast III

brockworth, Gloucestershire
First Name
forrest
Last Name
richardson
Member #

hi every body, im looking to do my radio licence course in the united kingdom. can any body help with suggestions on reading books/ websites etc. im just starting to look for one etc.
many thanks scrappy wolf

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
hi every body, im looking to do my radio licence course in the united kingdom. can any body help with suggestions on reading books/ websites etc. im just starting to look for one etc.
many thanks scrappy wolf
Radio Society of Great Britain is a good place. They publish some fantastic reference books As well.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
hi thank you m rose, i will try and get in touch with @El-Dracho.
hi thank you TahoePPV, i will have a look at them.

many thanks to both of you.
Hi scrappy wolf,

Sorry, as mentioned I was on the road for some days. So I will try to answer you questions now.

I am also quite new to HAM. Passed my license test some weeks ago and just starting.
So for Germany we have two classes A and E. E is the so called Novice license with lesser possibilities and restricted rights.
I decided to do the E license as it gives me all I need for now. I just want to use 2m and 70cm while on the road/ trail/ overlanding and play around with APRS.
The E exam is also not so difficult with regard to the technical questions and knowledge you need. I am not an electronic guy, so that was also a fact that lead to my decision.
I guess you have some similar rules in the UK.
I am a member of the german radio amateur club and will ask somebody there if he knows a good website or so for you to lookup the rules which apply for you in the UK. Give me some time, please, will come back with the information as soon as possible.

Cheers, Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@scrappy wolf get a hold of @El-Dracho for the information you are seeking. Ameteur Radio laws very by country, so the information I would give you may or may not be pertinent to you.
Thank you for referring me. Was on the road for a few days, but now I am happy to try to help and answer the questions as best as possible!

Reactions: M Rose

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good morning @scrappy wolf and all others,

I just got the answer.

The CEPT is implemented in the UK, i.e. there is a license corresponding to the German A license, the full license. There are also two levels, one of which corresponds to the E license, I mentioned above.

Courses are for example offered by the RSGB. See link below

Course & exam finder : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site
Student information - Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site

I hope this infomation is useful for you!

Bjoern