Rank I

Member I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Figueroa
Member #

Hello everyone, am new to the forum as of today and would like to post my first request i.e. assistance from all you experience folks! I live in Knightdale N.C. and in lieu of having to spend over 4k to have our new rig delivered from Boise Idaho, my son and I thought that we should take some vacation time, spend some time together and get the rig ourselves! ouch mileage wise... Anyway, this our first real adventure that is about 2400 mies one way and I wanted to know what is the most economical way to proceed, and if there are any nice places prior to Boise that are not to far from our straight line that you guys can suggest. We have roughly about 8 days to complete the trip and we just wanted to capture a good recon of where we are looking forward to spending a great deal of time in the future. We really appreciate the help. Thanks, Fig

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
Realistically, 8 days does not give you much time to stray. How much driving are you planning per day? Should be easier with your son since you can swap every few hours. What are you driving there in?
You might be better off flying into Boise and enjoying the drive home. I did that a few months, flew to Spokane from South Carolina then drove back.

el5fig

Rank I

Member I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Figueroa
Member #

Hello! I will be driving my jeep gladiator with my son and planning about 10 to 14 hours per day maybe more… I myself can drive 12 hours with small breaks here and there no problem; after that Son can pick up while I snooze and get ready to go again while he rests.. Looking at truck stops and wherever we can rest but we’re looking to tackle it hard at the start and try to get there in 3 days max. Just wondering if there are any thoughts from folks here on any worthwhile sites or places that are close to interstate 80 which is likely the route that we will take. Once we pick up the rv then we have probably 2 days to camp and then head home.. we were hoping to camp somewhere near Yellowstone park for the 2 days there… I suspect that the northern parts of Colorado and Utah should provide some nice views. We are now thinking of expanding for two more days as we both think we can take some meetings on the road from work. So if any of you guys now of perhaps a good spot for us near Yellowstone or close to it it for two days that would be awesome. Thanks. You know it’s interest that you said to fly there; I bought a plane in California a couple of years ago and flew it all the way back from California and that was an awesome adventure. Now I try it as an overlander and am looking forward to the challenge. Fig