Aunt_Minnie

Rank I

Contributor III

Mequon, WI, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Vintage
Lifelong camper, hiker and outdoor enthusiast here. I am also an inexperienced gumshoe overlander and 1st time forum poster :grinning:.

I live in the beautiful state of Wisconsin and will be out in the Grand Teton area this August for a family reunion. I have the rare opportunity to take 5 additional days off to trek back from WY to WI. I would like to make this my first inaugural long-distance overlanding trip. To keep planning simple, I will be driving Sam Correro's TransAmerica Trail (TAT) through the states of WY and western half of SD. I have purchased the GPS tracks through his website. This will be a solo trip. My vehicle is a 2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T on stock suspension. I plan to camp exclusively. I will take the TAT through WY and SD just past the Badlands, and then continue home to WI via major interstates.

Total mileage of the WY leg is 784 miles. Total mileage of the western SD leg is 164 miles (total TAT mileage = 948). Most roads are either USFS or backcountry roads, with the occasional state highway or scenic byway thrown in for access to essential services. I have never driven USFS or backcountry roads in the American West before, so am unsure what to expect.

A couple questions:

1.) What mileage can I realistically anticipate covering each day? This will help me plan overnight camping spots.​
2.) Are 5 days enough to cover the total 948 miles of the TAT legs? I will still need a spare day to get home after I exit the TAT just east of the Badlands. For those familiar with the TAT in these regions, what would you consider omitting if necessary?​
3.) What recovery gear is considered essential for the WY and SD TAT portions of my trip? Sam markets the TAT as being passable by motorbikes and light off-road vehicles; however, as I am going solo I don't want to find myself stuck in any undesirable situations. Based on Gaia map data alone, some of the WY roads look like they might get hairy at times :grimacing:. For those who have done the TAT, will I need recovery gear such as traction boards, winch, etc? I do not currently own these items and need to look into purchasing/mounting options if deemed necessary.​
4.) I am scared of brown bears in the applicable portions of WY (...somewhat kidding but not really...). Our black bears here in the WI would never hurt a fly.​
Thank you all again for your very valuable input!

- Erik

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm sure you'll have lots of good info trickle in from resident experts, but in the meantime this is a great resource if you're not opposed to Facebook:

Reactions: Aunt_Minnie

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@armyRN took a group last year on the TaT last year. Here is their planning and trip report in its entirety.

The TAT was originally a bicycle touring route, most days are between 60 and 100 miles… you could probably double and maybe even triple the distance… especially Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

Aunt_Minnie

Rank I

Contributor III

Mequon, WI, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Vintage
Thank you gentlemen for the above links. I am admittedly not a facebook user but may consider joining just for access to the TAT group. I read all 42 pages of the TAT thread here on OB...a lot of great details but unfortunately not much specific info on the Wyoming leg.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you gentlemen for the above links. I am admittedly not a facebook user but may consider joining just for access to the TAT group. I read all 42 pages of the TAT thread here on OB...a lot of great details but unfortunately not much specific info on the Wyoming leg.
That’s because there isn’t much there