Newbie from Michigan

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hello all!

Recently joined the forums to learn more about overlanding! I'm driving a stock Subaru Forester at the moment but tons of mods are in the works (lift, AT tires, dual range transmission, etc).

I've never been overlanding yet (next week I've planned my first overland trip to the UP!), but I've done a bit of research and have completely fallen in love with what I've found!!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello all!

Recently joined the forums to learn more about overlanding! I'm driving a stock Subaru Forester at the moment but tons of mods are in the works (lift, AT tires, dual range transmission, etc).

I've never been overlanding yet (next week I've planned my first overland trip to the UP!), but I've done a bit of research and have completely fallen in love with what I've found!!
Hello Tyler and welcome to the OB crew...hope your adventure goes well and hope you share with us all...look forward to it

Reactions: Tyler Grausetin

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Thank you!

From what I've researched there is none in the lower peninsula, and a little in the upper peninsula.

I'll let you know what I experienced after my trip next weekend.

Do you follow "Bold Overland" on InstaGram?

They just recently had a trip through the UP, might have some information on there you could use.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome from Austin, TX. Hope you have a great time, Overlanding in your Subaru Forester. Lots of Subaru Overlanders on the Forum.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello all!

Hi Tyler and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Traveler I

Welcome Tyler, interested to know the potential for overlanding in MI.

Dan.
Dan,

As this was my first overland trip, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I feel like the UP offered a fair amount of off-road adventures. The two ORV routes that I took were wide open, flat, and smooth. Quite boring if you ask me. However, the hundred miles or so of National Forest Service forest roads I took were exhilarating! I found them to be the perfect blend of easy driving and obstacle maneuvering. They challenged my driving technique and my Foresters capabilities without overwhelming me.

Someone who is more experienced my have found these roads easy/boring, but I would still recommend them for anyone wanting to just get out there.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I did UP early this year from west to east. The west side has tighter trails and less travelled. Wash outs and some rocky sections yet nothing too technical however you are in a very remote, heavy forest area so travelling alone is always stressfull :). The east side is a mud bath but well travelled by ATVs. Again not too technical but always nerve racking when going thru mud sections. Not a big fan of mud but i will go thru it if needed. Also it gets sandy so try not to stop just to see if you'd get stuck haha.

Dispersed camping on the UP superior shore was the highlight from that trip. We will be back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Traveler I

I did UP early this year from west to east. The west side has tighter trails and less travelled. Wash outs and some rocky sections yet nothing too technical however you are in a very remote, heavy forest area so travelling alone is always stressfull :). The east side is a mud bath but well travelled by ATVs. Again not too technical but always nerve racking when going thru mud sections. Not a big fan of mud but i will go thru it if needed. Also it gets sandy so try not to stop just to see if you'd get stuck haha.

Dispersed camping on the UP superior shore was the highlight from that trip. We will be back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I definitely noticed this as well! The west side stuff is the stuff I really like, I just wish it wasn't so far from me (SW side of the LP).

KrisK

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey, Tyler. Good to see more people in Grand Rapids getting in to the overlanding community. Unless you're part of the local jeep groups, it can sometimes be hard to find people to get out and explore. Hope to see ya out on the trails! Thanks for the UP trails info!

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Hi! I'm currently living in South Florida but lived in Waterford Township, MI previously. I still have family up there which is wanting to get into Overlanding too. I'll send them your tag and member number.