DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

This link shows the motorized campsites in PA.

These would also take you near the forest roads and driveable trails.

As mentioned get the purple lizard maps and the outdoorsman connection atlas

MQbackcover2020_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Moshannon is pretty cool.. We camped out there fall of '19..Went to check out the elk too, near Benezette.. Camped out on Medix Grade RD. @DevilDodge, I tagged you in another post area

Reactions: DevilDodge

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

Thanks Scout! I will check that out. I love the hills in PA.

Is the seasonal road going through Allegany State park any good?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I'm also really interested in this. I am from NC and currently in NC, but a move to NYC may be in my future. Can a lover of the outdoors survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to consider parts of NJ. You can get to some parts of manhattan and Brooklyn faster from Fort Lee NJ or Jersey City than if you lived in Queens (tested this many times lol) plus you have a much shorter drive to all the good stuff

B-rizzle

Rank III

Member III

Suffern, NY, USA
First Name
brenton
Last Name
myers
Member #

I'm also really interested in this. I am from NC and currently in NC, but a move to NYC may be in my future. Can a lover of the outdoors survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am from Sanford NC, I grew up there. I have been living in NJ/NY for about 7 years and there is nice camping but in my area not a lot of good overlanding (I am new to overlanding anyways) I was pointed into the direction of PA and VT. both places are not to far from the city, a few hours drive. Harriman state park is near the city, the APP trail runs through there, plus there are some nice places in NJ that you would not think you were near a city.

Tommo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Furnari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tommo
New to the forum, Im a big fan of camping and used to be a fan of off roading my old jeep. A couple months ago i got a Tacoma, and being its a nice reliable vehicle i started looking into places off the long island where i live to get out camping and exploring. Between that and looking into mods for my truck i eventually stumbled upon over landing and i love everything its about. But to keep this short ive been looking around and havent found many places in my state that i could go. I know the state offers primitive camping in its catskill and adirondack state parks, but nothing i can find about driving in them. If anyone could give me some advice/info/places to head out to in new york, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, or even southwest Massachusetts, it would e greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ever been to rausch creek in Pennsylvania???

Tommo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Furnari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tommo
Cant say i know of anything decent on the island as i usually avoid it like the plague lol, but theres plenty of beautiful areas to go camping in NY but the state is a huge let-down when it comes to any offroading.

Ive personally been through dozens of areas in PA, Susquehanna/Alleghany/Moshannan/Sproul forests and all of them have tons of nice dirt roads/trails through miles and miles of awesome forests, plenty of places to drive/camp. Ive spent a solid portion of my life riding/driving PA trail/roads and central PA is absolutely packed with great driving.

VT and NH both have lots of forest roads, ive never been to anything specific in VT but NH is very offroad friendly and has lots of organized trail systems with camping areas, White Mountain forester comes to mind up by Mt.Washington which is an awesome drive btw.

CT im not a fan of, im usually driving through it. Its possible MA might have some driving available but again i havent gone anywhere specific.
Hey I read your reply and I’m also looking for spots to drive and camp for the weekend. Could you tell me a few spots for me to map out. Appreciate your time