New, with Silverado. Advice wanted.

• HTML tutorial

rhuff

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pretty much new to this all. I grew up in "farm country," so I've goofed around in the mud, dirt-biked, etc. That being said, I'm a novice all-in-all.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab that is pretty much stock. I know this isn't necessarily the most ideal or common vehicle, but what can I do first things first to improve my ability to travel off-road.

What would you spend your first 3-4,000K on. Unfortunately, that might include labor too.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Where are you going that your truck in it's stock form can not get you there? You have to answer that question first before you can figure out what you need. Post up some of the places you would like to do, and we can better help you decide what you might need.

Reactions: willlord

rhuff

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Where are you going that your truck in it's stock form can not get you there? You have to answer that question first before you can figure out what you need. Post up some of the places you would like to do, and we can better help you decide what you might need.
For right now, most the places I want to (or should go) are probably doable in stock form. I'm a bit worried about clearance and the underside of my truck on some roads near Southern Nevada that I've been peeking at though.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

My suggestion would be to add armor if they make it for your truck (sorry, don't know anything about Silverado) and larger offroad tires if you can fit them before adding a lift. You are going want those two things anyways and the lift is going to bring in its own set of tradeoffs and "issues". Se what roads and trails you can run is that setup and mod from there. Most people want to add a lift right away and it is not always the best route to go in the beginning.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Pretty much new to this all. I grew up in "farm country," so I've goofed around in the mud, dirt-biked, etc. That being said, I'm a novice all-in-all.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab that is pretty much stock. I know this isn't necessarily the most ideal or common vehicle, but what can I do first things first to improve my ability to travel off-road.

What would you spend your first 3-4,000K on. Unfortunately, that might include labor too.
Hey Welcome! Depending on what type of terrain you will be going on would determine what size lift/tires to go with. I would definitely recommend a level kit (your choice of shock) and some 33s. That is what I have on mine (2007 Tahoe). I would also take off the front valence/air dam as it hinders approach angle very much, plus, it just looks better. My MPG hasn't really dropped without (still getting 20+ highway). I would start with that and just get out there and explore, that's whats most important. You don't need a lot of stuff, just make sure you have the important things (First aid, water, food, recovery gear, etc) If you have Instagram, give me a follow: @Tahoe.Adventures and you can DM me with any questions as well! Safe Travels!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

don't add or do anything , throw some camping gear in it and head out somewhere easy . take a notebook and take notes on what you actually use and could possibly need then start changing stuff .

Jeremyv

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Lake George NY
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Vanier
I have a Silverado aswell. Mine is a 2014. First thing I did was remove the air dam. My level recently arrived and later this year I’ll be getting 285/70/17 tires to help. Not sure if that will help you out but it’s just where I’m headed. I plan on doing mild off-roading and making a list as the guy above me stated to do. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arailt

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
Little late here, lurking around and thought I’d put in my .02. My Silverado is a 2013. These folks above are right, the front of this gen of Chevy trucks is so low, even w/o the plastic air shield crapola. My first step just had to fix that issue so I got a bumper installed and a winch. The change in clearance is huge.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Just found this thread....I have a 17silverado and plan to use it as my right. I started off with a diamondback cover and some KO2 tires....I went 285/65/20. Eventually I'd like to put a lift on mine...3-4 inches and replace both bumpers. Im torn as to what to purchase next....I have three hundred bucks as gift cards which I'd like to spend. Wife doesn't know about them...lol Any suggestions?

How far along is your right?