New Virginia Member and Vehicle Question

• HTML tutorial

superterram

Rank I

Contributor III

Hello from Loudoun County, Virginia! I'm happy to see so many other OB members in Virginia. I want to thank the OB leaders and everyone who writes articles and forum posts. You've taught me a lot. And I really appreciate the open overland community you've created. Before I ask my vehicle question, I want to provide some context.

My once reliable 15-year-old sedan is not aging gracefully this year. Some recent issues require pricey repairs that go far beyond my DIY skills and our family budget, so there's a good chance I'll have to replace it in the next 3-6 months. I don't want to get rid of it–or have a car payment–but there's a silver lining: the next vehicle could be capable of overlanding (our other vehicle is a minivan, so that doesn't cut it).

As I think about replacement options, I'm using the following criteria. Whatever I buy next will be my daily driver. My commute to work is 25 miles (~1 hour) each way, so it has to be safe, reliable, and comfortable. It has to get good gas mileage (minimum 22+ combined MPG). We'll definitely use it for camping and getting outdoors, so it has to fit five people (me, wife, 3 kids, and gear) and be capable of basic off-roading and general overlanding (no rock crawling or need for major modifications). Last but not least, it has to be affordable ($25K or less). I'll probably look for something coming off a multi-year lease. Side note: Thank you to whoever wrote in a post that the best vehicle for overlanding with family is the one you can afford. Very wise advice! It would be nice to tow a small, lightweight camper trailer in the future but that's not a necessity.

Here's my question: What are strong vehicle options based on that criteria? So far, my research turned up a few contenders. First, the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk checks most boxes, but it's size may be a problem because my kids are growing fast. Second, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is appealing, so long as it has 4WD high and low. Third, the Subaru Outback seems to check the most boxes (with new tires and roof rack/rails).

Are these good options based on your experiences? Are there any vehicles I should add to the list? Thanks so much for any advice you can provide (and for reading this long post)!

Rescue Chet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Don't forget to test drive a VW Golf Alltrack. It does not seem to be a better option when compared to the Subaru Outback but it would still provide a nice comparison. If you are willing to stretch your investment a bit this is a great time to find a fabulous deal on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK base model. Mileage is not great but heck, it's a Jeep. The new 2018-2019 JL models are even better and have a 2.0L turbo option with better mileage although the price jumps quite a bit since the JL is the new design while the JK is the outgoing one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

superterram

Rank I

Contributor III

Thanks so much, Rescue Chet! I'll add the Golf Alltrack to my list. I've definitely thought about the outgoing JK Wrangler Unlimited. I nearly met my Maker a few years ago, so I'm more open to "you only live once" decisions. I may add it to the mix as a wild card option. I really like the new JL Wrangler Unlimited, and they seem have better road manners than the JK from what I've read. A 2.0 or diesel JL would be ideal. Sadly, I didn't win the most recent MegaMillions jackpot, so the new JL is not in the running. Maybe in a few years. Thanks again for your advice! I'll post more in the future if events keep heading in the same direction.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome @superterram!

I can only comment on Subaru since its what I drive and I can confidently say it will do what you want based on what you said you're looking for. What year(s) would you be considering? I'd recommend a 2015+ because of the improvements that came with the latest gen wagon.

superterram

Rank I

Contributor III

Thanks for your advice Wawa Skittletits! I was hoping to hear from someone who drives one of the vehicles on my list. The Outback is at the top of my list at this point–the right tool for the right job. And thanks for your advice about model years. I'll look for a 2015+ when the time comes.