Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Hi all - I am a novice and currently run in a 2010 Nissan Xterra. I am looking into new vehicles within my budget. Although I want a 4Runner it's not happening. Does anyone have any knowledge on the 2020 Jeep Trailhawk? And if I eventually get a lift kit etc would it be a good overlanding vehicle? Going alone I do not plan on going into extreme terrain for quite some time. I appreciate any feedback!

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
Hi Yvette,

Your question opens the way for opinions and more questions. I haven't looked at the Trailhawk in a few years - and I'm thinking in terms of the Cherokee Trailhawk (there are several models with the Trailhawk package) - when I was looking at them, they were a very capable vehicle with a good blend of comfort and capability.

That said, the ultimate answer for you is going to depend on what you want out of your vehicle and your overlanding experiences. The Cherokee Trailhawk is not going to be a great rock crawler, but it will handle some rocky terrain. It has 4 wheel independent suspension, which will be more expensive to lift than solid axles, but will also have a more comfortable ride.

Some questions for you...

What type of overlanding do you like to do?

What type of terrain do yo want to be able to navigate?

What do you like about your Xterra? What don't you like? Why would you choose to get another vehicle vs. invest in the current one?

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Hi Yvette,

Your question opens the way for opinions and more questions. I haven't looked at the Trailhawk in a few years - and I'm thinking in terms of the Cherokee Trailhawk (there are several models with the Trailhawk package) - when I was looking at them, they were a very capable vehicle with a good blend of comfort and capability.

That said, the ultimate answer for you is going to depend on what you want out of your vehicle and your overlanding experiences. The Cherokee Trailhawk is not going to be a great rock crawler, but it will handle some rocky terrain. It has 4 wheel independent suspension, which will be more expensive to lift than solid axles, but will also have a more comfortable ride.

Some questions for you...

What type of overlanding do you like to do?

What type of terrain do yo want to be able to navigate?

What do you like about your Xterra? What don't you like? Why would you choose to get another vehicle vs. invest in the current one?
I eventually would like to be able to do some rock climbing but that is definitely down the road. Right now just be able to go into the mountains and through a bit of rough terrain.

I love my Xterra. She’s paid off! I don’t Care for rear seating which isn’t a big issue but I currently have the be careful where I go because it’s only 2wd. If it were 4wd I’d outfit her and invest. I love the 4Runner but what I’m looking at is a bit high plus outfitting it.

But if the Cherokee Trailhawk couldn’t handle eventual heavier rocky terrain then I definitely don’t want to invest in that.
Thank you so much for your feedback! It helped me tremendously!

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
What else is driving your decision? Does it need to be new/have warranty?

How about an Xterra Pro 4x? If you like what you have, adding 4WD, skid plates and a rear locker would add a lot of capability.

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

What else is driving your decision? Does it need to be new/have warranty?

How about an Xterra Pro 4x? If you like what you have, adding 4WD, skid plates and a rear locker would add a lot of capability.
It’s a 2010 model but still in great shape. Only 137k miles on it. I don’t have to have new at all. Mine no longer is under warranty, just keep full coverage on it. I looked for Xterra’s but so far no luck in my area. Don’t mind driving to get it if need be. And for new, I’m not sure if they quit making Xterra but it’s not even an option on the Nissan site. Haven’t had a chance to check.

I honestly didn’t think about adding 4WD etc to mine! That actually sounds like a great option. But would the cost be near half the price of a new/used vehicle? I’ll have to look at pricing. I do love my baby!

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Nissan quit production of the Xterra in 2015.

It was direct competition for the Toyota 4runner in a mid size, body on frame SUV. It's a shame they quit building them as Xterra's in either 2 or 4 wheel drive are/were excellent and capable vehicles.

Converting yours to 4 wheel drive would cost more than just selling yours and buying a nice 4X4 version. Taken care of, they WILL hold there value, people love them!

Last edited:
Reactions: yetteldorf

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Wow, I didn’t know that. I definitely wouldn’t trade it in for another. It would be an addition. So I’ll hold onto mine and keep looking. I’ve wanted a 4Runner for over 10 years I’ll go that route or if I can find a used 4WD Xterra I’ll get that.
You have been so helpful and I really really appreciate it!

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
It’s a 2010 model but still in great shape. Only 137k miles on it. I don’t have to have new at all. Mine no longer is under warranty, just keep full coverage on it. I looked for Xterra’s but so far no luck in my area. Don’t mind driving to get it if need be. And for new, I’m not sure if they quit making Xterra but it’s not even an option on the Nissan site. Haven’t had a chance to check.

I honestly didn’t think about adding 4WD etc to mine! That actually sounds like a great option. But would the cost be near half the price of a new/used vehicle? I’ll have to look at pricing. I do love my baby!
Sorry. I didn't mean to convert yours. I meant buy one that has the added features. Converting would probably be more expensive that it's worth.

It sounds like you've got your heart set on the 4Runner. If so, you probably won't be happy until you get one.

Olander1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Carlos, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
R
Member #

I'm not sure what your budget is - but have you looked into used 4Runners? Either early 5th gen or even a 4th gen? Another almost equivalent option may be an early model GX460 or late model GX 470. GX460 circa 2010 to 2013 average around $23 -$26k. Just a thought.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I'm not sure what your budget is - but have you looked into used 4Runners? Either early 5th gen or even a 4th gen? Another almost equivalent option may be an early model GX460 or late model GX 470. GX460 circa 2010 to 2013 average around $23 -$26k. Just a thought.
This is a good option. I've head a lot of good things about GX460 and GX470. They are getting more popular in the off road/overlanding community. I would go used and use all that money saved to upgrade your truck. Plus, having less car payments are a plus.

Reactions: Olander1

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Excellent suggestion!

A Toyota Prado Land Cruiser 120/150 series in Lexus clothing. Wheeling in luxury! :smiley:

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Lol, thank you. I’ve looked at 5th gen 4Runners. Plenty of used for the price but they are all white. God I don’t want white but I may be stuck with that option. I’ll keep looking and maybe one will pop up!

Now the Land Cruiser❤❤❤ I love, heaven for me!!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Take your Xterra and go, learn to drive it through the rough stuff. You can learn about recovery too You are going to learn to get through a lot of stuff with 2 wheel drive. Drop the rear seats and pack you camping gear. When you start to crawl you'll be looking what you want with a different mind set. I drove all over Baja with little 2 wheel drive trucks. it's not the hammer that

I eventually would like to be able to do some rock climbing but that is definitely down the road. Right now just be able to go into the mountains and through a bit of rough terrain.

I love my Xterra. She’s paid off! I don’t Care for rear seating which isn’t a big issue but I currently have the be careful where I go because it’s only 2wd. If it were 4wd I’d outfit her and invest. I love the 4Runner but what I’m looking at is a bit high plus outfitting it.

But if the Cherokee Trailhawk couldn’t handle eventual heavier rocky terrain then I definitely don’t want to invest in that.
Thank you so much for your feedback! It helped me tremendously!

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Thanks, I’ve been taking her off road already. Just mindful of what I get into. She can actually handle a lot! I definitely would love a winch in case I’m stuck but Ill test her regardless. It’s quite fun and exciting to push how far I can go! I’m the one out their spinning around in the snow and ice to play while everyone is tucked at home. Being a daredevil I’m sure to find myself in predicaments but that’s part of it. I’m planning my next trip May 7th-11th, so I’ll see how she handles in this wet sloppy terrain!

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Look on you tube for” fearless Trailhawk.” He as a Cherokee Trailhawk and goes most everywhere the TJs and like go to.
I've had my 2018 over some moderate roads with no problem. it Has a locker rear end. The only downside is a small fuel tank so range isn’t as good as other vehicles.

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Winch, selectable rear locker and a lift in you vehicle and go. That’s what I would do.
I definitely will. I am very excited to see how your son does with your over landing. That is actually my line of work. My organization provides services to children and adults with various "abilities". A majority on the spectrum. Thank you so much for the advice and I will follow you guys!

BMFalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Charlotte, NC
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Falls
Member #

I was also looking at Jee GC TrailHawks. Ive been driving an 04 external that I bought in 09 for 11 years. Most of the TH, even the used ones that I liked were well above 30k. I actually stumbled across a 2015 Pro 4x with only 51,000 miles on it that the dealership had listed for 22,500. With cover going on and them being thirsty for deals I talked the all they way down to 18k and took the deal. Payments are 1/2 what I was expecting to be making, and absolutely in love. 3rd Xterra, 5th Nissan. And at what I saved on the sale, have plenty of plans for accessories and mods, and getting the new kid paid off within a year.

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

I was also looking at Jee GC TrailHawks. Ive been driving an 04 external that I bought in 09 for 11 years. Most of the TH, even the used ones that I liked were well above 30k. I actually stumbled across a 2015 Pro 4x with only 51,000 miles on it that the dealership had listed for 22,500. With cover going on and them being thirsty for deals I talked the all they way down to 18k and took the deal. Payments are 1/2 what I was expecting to be making, and absolutely in love. 3rd Xterra, 5th Nissan. And at what I saved on the sale, have plenty of plans for accessories and mods, and getting the new kid paid off within a year.
I think you got an amazing deal. Congrats and to pay off within a year, freaking awesome. I'm excited to see pics of this 2015 Pro and it's mods.

After hearing everyone's feedback I think I'll just keep my X-terra, rig her out so I can get myself out of tough spots since I'm only 2WD and use her for my excursions. Maybe get a little convertible or something for daily use, keep mileage off my X-Terra and keep her in great running shape. When the time comes, I'll get my 4Runner. But my girl has so much life left so.......

Reactions: MMc