Enthusiast III

Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
So for the first time in my roughly 25 years of driving I finally was able to buy a brand new car. I wanted something I could actually take at least on to the dirt/gravel roads in the National Forest and things like that. So we were able to get a 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx. The wilderness was a bit too high in payments. The only “mod” is a sticker on the back (which is big for me as I’ve always refused to put stickers on my cars). I’m eventually planning on at least having a roof rack, awning as well as some skid plates. This is also going to be the daily driver for me as well as the family car for vacations and stuff. So I’m not going to go too crazy as of yet but hopefully soon.

Attachments

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
I owned Subarus for 22 years, the last a 2010 Outback I bought brand new and sold last year. The only mod I did to it - much later on, btw - was to fit it with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires. I had seriously looked into skid plates but never got them.

I'll say the Outback took me to every backpacking trailhead I pointed it at in Washington State, and that includes steep inclines with nasty potholes. There were times when the trail was best suited for a real 4WD with more clearance and breakover angles than the Outback has. It was actually this that inspired me to sell the Outback and get my current rig, 2022 Ford Ranger FX4 with a canopy. With common sense and due caution, you'll get to many if not most places to explore and adventure. I wouldn't take it 50 miles into Utah areas with explicit 'high clearance 4WD Only' signage on it, but the Outback will reliably take you down mostly any forest service road you chose.

Don't bother with lifting, etc. It won't significantly change the front and rear breakover angles, which is the thing that'll really get you in going into or out of a deep, wide rut or crater.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Congrats on your new Outback. I have owned Subarus since 1999. I am currently on my 3rd and 5th Subarus. My overlanding one is a 2014 Outback which has been modded for overlanding with 3 skid plates which have protected important components underneath the car. Mine is lifted 1.5" which allowed me to go to the next size up in tires but it is more of a body lift than anything else. I mainly do forest roads, light difficulty, and moderate difficulty trails in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado with it. I mainly have to pick my lines as carefully as I can.

This is my car on WABRD section 1
FB_IMG_1630944007342.jpg