New Tundra! Help Please!

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the Toyota world - but not to the offroad world (I just sold my Wrangler a few weeks back). I am also new to the Overland world.

I've got a ton of questions, about a ton of stuff, and I'm enjoying reading the forums here.

I have to important questions to start. I'm buying a Toyota Tundra (I'm too tall for the Tacoma/4Runner).

1. What do you guys find better for overlanding? Double cab and regular box. Or CrewMax and short box? Why?

2. I've got the choice of a brand new 2018 TRD or a 2016 TRD with 27000km on it. There's about a difference of $6k right now. Does anyone know of any significant differences between 2016 and 2018? Recommendations on whether to go brand new, or to save a few bucks and get the 2016?

Thanks all. I look forward to any and all advice, ideas and insight. I'm excited to start my journey. Btw, I live in the mountains, so you can all expect some pretty incredible videos/pictures once I get going here.

Cheers,
TRW

Reactions: Nickzero and Pindal

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I recently transitioned from Jeeps to Toyota also. I went with the Sequoia, since I want to be able to lock my shotguns and guitars inside and not worry about weather when Im using them. Good luck with yours! Im thrilled with mine every day.

Reactions: Nickzero

vdubplate

Rank 0

Contributor I

colorado
First Name
John
Last Name
D
One thing I wish I had gotten was a longer bed. I have the crew max. Love the room I side but the bed is short and I can't sleep back there if I want to

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the Toyota world - but not to the offroad world (I just sold my Wrangler a few weeks back). I am also new to the Overland world.

I've got a ton of questions, about a ton of stuff, and I'm enjoying reading the forums here.

I have to important questions to start. I'm buying a Toyota Tundra (I'm too tall for the Tacoma/4Runner).

1. What do you guys find better for overlanding? Double cab and regular box. Or CrewMax and short box? Why?

2. I've got the choice of a brand new 2018 TRD or a 2016 TRD with 27000km on it. There's about a difference of $6k right now. Does anyone know of any significant differences between 2016 and 2018? Recommendations on whether to go brand new, or to save a few bucks and get the 2016?

Thanks all. I look forward to any and all advice, ideas and insight. I'm excited to start my journey. Btw, I live in the mountains, so you can all expect some pretty incredible videos/pictures once I get going here.

Cheers,
TRW

1) It depends... How many people do you need to transport? 1-2... Go double-cab for more bed space 3 or more, go with the crew. I use mine as my DD and I have 3 kids, so CREW was a necessity.

2) Honestly, I'd go with the NEW vehicle. Warranty is #1 reason why. Only significant changes were the LED headlights.

If you have any questions on aftermarket stuff, lemme know. I've done a ton of research

Build Thread: https://www.tundras.com/threads/socal-18-cement-build.25220/

Reactions: TMOD and Jimmy P

TMOD

Rank 0

Traveler I

I went with the DC and 6.5 bed. I'm tall too and no way could i sleep in the short bed. Too me it was an easy choice to prioritize the bed over the back seat. And the backseat still has decent room it's just not huge like the crewmax.

Reactions: Gsw234

NE_WARRIOR

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bernardston, MA, USA
Member #

@DividedSky knows what hes talking about. The Tundras forum has a lot of resources for people looking to buy a tundra. I also have a crewmax and I love the interior space but the beds shorter than I am. softopper makes a bed tent that includes the tailgate but thats about $1200 that I dont have. If you frequently travel with more than 2 people, crewmax is the way to go, if not, you cant beat the bed space of a DC.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

@DividedSky knows what hes talking about. The Tundras forum has a lot of resources for people looking to buy a tundra. I also have a crewmax and I love the interior space but the beds shorter than I am. softopper makes a bed tent that includes the tailgate but thats about $1200 that I dont have. If you frequently travel with more than 2 people, crewmax is the way to go, if not, you cant beat the bed space of a DC.
Thanks. Many many wasted hours at work on Tundras.com.

Reactions: NE_WARRIOR

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Or you could do like I did and go DC with an 8 ft bed. Plenty of room back there. You can also check out Tundrasolutions and Tundratalk.